Sign in to follow this  
Andy Entwistle

Recon Engine supplier

Its a minefield out there I know. Anyone got any recommended suppliers they've used?

Friends 2.0 TFSI A5 has lunched the engine, he was about to send to Audi, but at 8 years old, it just isn't worth it. Far easier to drop in a recon unit rather than spend what is likely to be well north of £4k to rebuild!

6 minutes ago, Andy Entwistle said:

Its a minefield out there I know. Anyone got any recommended suppliers they've used?

Friends 2.0 TFSI A5 has lunched the engine, he was about to send to Audi, but at 8 years old, it just isn't worth it. Far easier to drop in a recon unit rather than spend what is likely to be well north of £4k to rebuild!

What area Andy?  I know a good couple in Halesowen, West Midlands area.

Whatever you do, don’t use Total Engines and Gearboxes Ltd of Abbey Wood. Absolute charlatans. 

Andy, 

Minefield is the word mate.

We have had experience with Dragon Engines in Chesterfield for a Mini once. Very good, even collected car from south London and dealt with warranty company for our customer,....but they were not cheap. On another occassion they were very helpfull tracking down a hard to find engine for 2011 c180 petrol Merc for us, although ultimately we did not use them. (we proved our customer had neglected his basic duty of care looking after his car, and the problem became his). Good luck. 

Yes agree, total minefield of wankers.

I will not fit anything but Ivor Searle, uk's biggest Re Manufacturer, you get's what you pay for ;)

I also had to test their Guarantee once, and that's when you find out how good any company is, and they did pay out for me to rectify a Rear Main Oil Seal leak.

HTH

3 hours ago, EPV said:

Whatever you do, don’t use Total Engines and Gearboxes Ltd of Abbey Wood. Absolute charlatans. 

Nearly as good as Mr Transmission Deptford then since the Arabs took over many moons ago :lol:

Cheers all - don't mind where it comes from, most will pallet it these days and my spanners man in Sandhurst is ready with his WD40 and hammer...... :-)

Yup, its more about, who not to use. Rather spend a few hundred quid with someone who will stand behind what they sell than a cheap pile of bolts as they will be keeping the car for the mid term!

Andy, give Ivor Searl a ring, they have agents all over UK, the MB CDI Engine I bought in April came via Autohead Recon in Inverness ;) 

Free UK Delivery :- 

https://www.ivorsearle.co.uk/

See also their list of stockists, Euro CP, Express Factors etc etc ;)

Tbh the knack is to avoid about 99% of engine reconditioners nowadays. Either buy the best or chance a secondhand unit from a breakers.

Or make it disappear.

We went to a place in Daventry  (Autogreen) yesterday for an interior (16 plate Corsa Special edition).

Great place, Most cars under 5 years old and on racking. They go and fetch the car, you inspect whatever you are buying and they take it out. Took them 20 minutes to remove

properly with no damage. £240.

Cleanest and most efficient scrapyard I've ever been to. Friendly too.

Not got the number on me at the moment so just google them. They do pallet and send also.

1 hour ago, RHO said:

We went to a place in Daventry  (Autogreen) yesterday for an interior (16 plate Corsa Special edition).

Great place, Most cars under 5 years old and on racking. They go and fetch the car, you inspect whatever you are buying and they take it out. Took them 20 minutes to remove

properly with no damage. £240.

Cleanest and most efficient scrapyard I've ever been to. Friendly too.

Not got the number on me at the moment so just google them. They do pallet and send also.

Good to know. Just up the road from me. Thanks

On 16/11/2018 at 4:40 PM, Dave2302 said:

Andy, give Ivor Searl a ring, they have agents all over UK, the MB CDI Engine I bought in April came via Autohead Recon in Inverness ;) 

Free UK Delivery :- 

https://www.ivorsearle.co.uk/

See also their list of stockists, Euro CP, Express Factors etc etc ;)

+1 on this.

Ivor Searle are not cheap but very good quality. NEVER had a problem with recon engine, box, turbo or anything from them. Highly regarded.