Sign in to follow this  
RJEauto

Another Newbie!

Hi All,

Newbie's here from South Wales.

My partner, Ryan, has always been in and out of the industry. He's mid-twenties now and his father has always been in the car trade. I work in finance so no car expert!

We've opened a small independent site just over a month ago after a friend (now landlord) decided he was calling it a day with his site here due to another big job opportunity and family commitments. Pretty much one stop shop here, workshop with tyre bay, 2 ramps, sales pitch and showroom and a detailing bay as that is Ryan's true passion and existing business.

Not here to get rich quick or work 8-4, we're both realistic and aware of the sacrifices. But we're young so you've got to take a chance and work hard while you can!

Mainly will be myself using the site but I will try and contribute where I can :-)

Any advice is taken on the chin and greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Kelly

• Like 1

Nice intro, best of luck with the new venture. 

Hi Kelly. Yeah, good luck. Having the workshop is a great string to your bow (I’m very jealous) and should bring the steady dough in if you do it right. 

Thanks both :)

The workshop is great, reduces the red line when we're not selling but also means we can buy stock that needs mechanical work etc.

Done my first end to end stock purchase last week on a 12 plate meriva diesel, picked up from the DA site and soon realised 3rd gear was crunching. Managed to renegotiate a 875 chip and my mechanic did most of the work, we'll earn more from that now than if it was as described on collection. Although Ryan reckons he never would've got 875 off the price and said it my womanly charm :lol:

Granted it's hard work, it's long hours and risky business but sense of achievement is great. Although all we do now is work or talk about work :lol:

7 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

You got £875 off a car on DA? 

Well done. Most everybody else gets told to go forth!

Must be beginners luck!

The manager at the dealership even said, I quote "I think £875 off is very fair" :lol:

41 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

You got £875 off a car on DA? 

Well done. Most everybody else gets told to go forth!

Yes the one issue car I had with gearbox issue I was told 300 quid contribution or tough.

1 hour ago, DCS01 said:

Yes the one issue car I had with gearbox issue I was told 300 quid contribution or tough.

Playing Devil’s Advocate here- maybe they were one of the many people giving almost retail for the junk on DA? 

Either that or she’s clearly much better looking than the rest of us old balding gits. :o)

Anyway. Well done indeed!

Hi Kelly & Ryan,

Congratulations on your new business, it does sound the perfect setup and opportunity.

You've also done well to find this site  too, the experience of the old, and new trade members here are a source of great knowledge,passion and drive, I'm sure that you'll find help if/whenever you need.

Don't let Ryan stay too quiet though, his experience in vehicle detailing will be invaluable for many, me included.

Good luck for now and the future.

Good job with the Meriva as well...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NOACROSS said:

Either that or she’s clearly much better looking than the rest of us

Most people in their mid 20s will be much better looking than us and sometimes it's all about appearances in this business. 

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to both of you.

4 hours ago, RJEauto said:

Hi All,

My partner, Ryan, has always been in and out of the industry. He's mid-twenties now and his father has always been in the car trade. I work in finance so no car expert!

We've opened a small independent site just over a month ago after a friend (now landlord) decided he was calling it a day with his site here due to another big job opportunity and family commitments. Pretty much one stop shop here, workshop with tyre bay, 2 ramps, sales pitch and showroom and a detailing bay as that is Ryan's true passion and existing business.

Not here to get rich quick or work 8-4, we're both realistic and aware of the sacrifices. But we're young so you've got to take a chance and work hard while you can!

Mainly will be myself using the site but I will try and contribute where I can :-)

Thanks,

Kelly

Welcome Kelly :)  It’s a breath of fresh air  to get such a polite introduction.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

It’s a breath of fresh air  to get such a polite introduction.

+1

22 hours ago, RJEauto said:

Hi All,

Thanks,

Kelly

Welcome to the industry Kelly  , drive and passion sound very positive indeed .

Thats your first qualification passed 

Advice from me for your chin : 

You only work half a day when on your own ;

"Chose which 12 hr shift you want :) "

Second part that proceeds the first advice is ;

"If your awake your at work :)"

Remember this too from an old hand , ITS NOT WHAT YOU TAKE , ITS WHAT YOU MAKE , Got it , profit is NOT a dirty word and you do any thing for nothing just make sure its for you two only . 

Best bit is this though , if you enjoy your business you will never work again , its all fun :)

Good luck and enjoy the journey . 

A fantastic and polite introduction. I run both sales, MOT bay and servicing.

Good luck to you both.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:14 PM, NOACROSS said:

Thank you all for such a lovely welcome and already some great advice :-)

Well I'm hoping I didn't spend too much on the Meriva but assuming it's screen priced accurately then the margin is great for us. I've made a fancy spreadsheet so I can never get carried away on a car in auction, at least not too carried away.

On 10/11/2018 at 6:17 PM, Tim H said:

Don't let Ryan stay too quiet though, his experience in vehicle detailing will be invaluable for many, me included.

Don't worry, Ryan won't be able to stay away for long, he'll feel left out!

Thank you all again for being so welcoming!

13 hours ago, RJEauto said:

Thank you all for such a lovely welcome and already some great advice :-)

Well I'm hoping I didn't spend too much on the Meriva but assuming it's screen priced accurately then the margin is great for us. I've made a fancy spreadsheet so I can never get carried away on a car in auction, at least not too carried away.

Don't worry, Ryan won't be able to stay away for long, he'll feel left out!

Thank you all again for being so welcoming!

LIKE, (some of us had our like button and edit button taken off us :( )

Pleased to announce the Meriva went out yesterday for screen price! :)

52 minutes ago, RJEauto said:

Pleased to announce the Meriva went out yesterday for screen price! :)

Well played...and good luck.

3 hours ago, RJEauto said:

Pleased to announce the Meriva went out yesterday for screen price!

This sounds so much better than "I nearly bought an Astra"... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

This sounds so much better than "I nearly bought an Astra"... 

Can I correct you Nick, in fact it wasn't titled "I nearly bought an Astra" :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, MrV said:

Can I correct you Nick, in fact it wasn't titled "I nearly bought an Astra" :ph34r:

No, but that's the title they are using for the film. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MrV said:

Can I correct you Nick

Of course you can. I new a moment would come in this forum when you will find something to correct me on. I just didn't expect it before 2020. 

I knew, rather than I new... bring me back the EDIT button.