Dealer

November Trade

Glad AD resurrected this thread, we too have had a really bad week...... Just 1. No enquiries at all, with the overheads we have it'll be a definite loss for the week. 

10 minutes ago, Dealer said:

Glad AD resurrected this thread, we too have had a really bad week...... Just 1. No enquiries at all, with the overheads we have it'll be a definite loss for the week. 

Rollercoaster, it’s year end that matters. I’m hoping (big hope) once Brexit is agreed and approved in principle the  billys and business will start to feel more confident, we can all move forwards and stability will return...... 

6 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Rollercoaster, it’s year end that matters. I’m hoping (big hope) once Brexit is agreed and approved in principle the  billys and business will start to feel more confident, we can all move forwards and stability will return...... 

I can't wait until 2030 for business to pick up! :P

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dealer said:

The week? Surely you don’t measure your profits weekly? 

Just now, Nick M.K. said:

If you pay people weekly I guess you could measure profit / loss weekly...

I’m not saying you couldn’t measure weekly. I’m wondering why you would want to. Or even think along the lines of a “weekly loss” 

Some very sage person posted earlier about business plans. BHM?

Same with weekly or (nowadays) monthly targets.... yearly depression is plenty :o)

3 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’m not saying you couldn’t measure weekly. I’m wondering why you would want to. Or even think along the lines of a “weekly loss” 

I used to manage a telesales team where targets were was broken down into hours.........

We have been going 6 weeks with our new ‘old pitch’.We have sold a few and bought a few at the door and taken in some good swappers from quality punters.However,the bottom line is that based on what rental income we got previously from this site,we have lost money.Our photos are still poor and we can’t do videos yet.From the start I said that we need to find out what makes the phone ring.Now I know,nothing does because it appears people now rarely make contact by phone.Then this week some passing tech guy thought he better let us know that our ‘award winning ‘ DMS website builders had ‘cocked up’ and had probably accidentally locked us out of Google search engine.He then sent us all this ‘code stuff’ to apparently show that ‘H1 and H2 ‘or something did not make sense ? By another 6 weeks ,I should have established what we have to do.

8 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I used to manage a telesales team where targets were was broken down into hours.........

I’ve been in this industry only a year and i can see it’s pointless measuring in anything less than a month. I’d say quarters, actually. 

When I say pointless, I mean, not to be fixated on results in less than a month. 

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’ve been in this industry only a year and i can see it’s pointless measuring in anything less than a month. I’d say quarters, actually. 

Efficiency and effectiveness directly effects conversions, this can be statisized. A good seller will for exampley convert  3 sales in 10 enquiries, a poor seller will only convert 1 in 20, its all down to knowing exactly what your staff are doing and how you can improve there sales........

I've perfected it to the point where the billy has to convince me they are going to buy my motor.......... Therefore no time wasted...  :lol:

1 minute ago, EPV said:

When I say pointless, I mean, not to be fixated on results in less than a month. 

You'll have a bad month (October :(:( ) for no real reason sometimes and a stonking one with the same stock the next. So you can't worry too much, but you do have to keep your eye on the ball every week.

One of the good things with this trade though is that you can always change your business model or make tweaks pretty quickly compared to a traditional business.

When the diesel crap first started we were (apparently) the only local dealer to take note of what punters were saying for a couple of weeks and simply shifted them and stuck solely to petrol for a while. Previously undesirable petrol stuff was cheap and we were turning them over for fun whilst our local friends had oily stuff stuffed up their arses for months. 

If we measured the diesel sales quarterly we'd have still been buying smokers for months.

18 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I measure on a deal by deal basis. The joys of virtually no overheads. 

You have to know what your business costs you annually prior to making a sale and div it by 365, or 12, or 52, or 10 if you want 9 weeks off so you know exactly what you need to do to cover your lifestyle...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I measure on a deal by deal basis. The joys of virtually no overheads. 

No overheads ?   rent,business rates,advertising,bank and finance charges,bookkeeping /accountancy,Insurance,etc etc

On the annual accounts,I used to divide the cost of sales ( less purchases) by 52 and the weekly cost was always way more than I thought it would be.

2 hours ago, grant8064 said:

I can't wait until 2030 for business to pick up! :P

That utter cretin Jacob Rees Mogg says 50 years to see the benefit. 

19 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

My business does not have annual fixed costs. 

Really, are you sure........

4 minutes ago, trade vet said:

No overheads ?   rent,business rates,advertising,bank and finance charges,bookkeeping /accountancy,Insurance,etc etc

On the annual accounts,I used to divide the cost of sales ( less purchases) by 52 and the weekly cost was always way more than I thought it would be.

Erm exactly.

No rent. 

No rates. 

No phone contracts. 

Yes insurance but it costs almost what a normal household multi-car policy would cost. And we would have that without the business. 

Yes Accountancy but it is not a fixed fee for us, depends on turnover. No turnover, no fee. 

Yes Stocking charges but if we don’t use the facility there is no fixed cost. 

Yes advertising but again, this is not fixed annual cost like the rent would be. 

The same goes for the bank charges. 

My bigest cost: car preparation. Everything else pales in comparison. But this certainly isn’t fixed...

2 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

No rent. 

No rates. 

No phone contracts. 

Yes insurance but it costs almost what a normal household multi-car policy would cost. And we would have that without the business. 

Yes Accountancy but it is not a fixed fee for us, depends on turnover. No turnover, no fee. 

Yes Stocking charges but if we don’t use the facility there is no fixed cost. 

Yes advertising but again, this is not fixed annual cost like the rent would be. 

The same goes for the bank charges. 

My bigest cost: car preparation. Everything else pales in comparison. But this certainly isn’t fixed...

So those aren't annual fixed costs ?

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

So those aren't annual fixed costs ?

"those"? Did you mean the preparation? How can they be fixed costs???

How can my advertising bill be an "annual fixed cost" if it's £1000 one month, £1300 the next and £0 the third? You stopped yours when you went on holiday so we'll easily agree on that. 

The insurance is a fixed cost BUT that's not purely business cost: most households need to have car insurance. My phone is £15 per month but again, not purely a business cost. 

Unit? I don't have one. Rent? Nope. A valeter? Er, No.

If I decide to take a month off of work and I have no cars on my stocking plan there will be NO fixed costs. 

Actually I do have a £30 per annum subscription for Octane magazine but I paid it from my personal account. £595 p/a to Lawgistics IS actually a fixed business cost but at the moment I still haven't decided if I will renew it for 2019 (1 Dec renewal).

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Ok Nik, you win you don’t have annual fixed costs... 

I would really win when I don't have any annual costs. But where would the fun in that be?

I'll call Lawgistics tomorrow to renew and then will have some fixed costs. 

Do you not have insurance, trade plates, public liability, professional imdenity, electricity, water, office, stationary, travel, petrol, car tax, lunch, clothing, breakfast..... plus loads more. You might be a doorstepper but these are your fixed costs, plus loads more.

• Like 1