Sign in to follow this  
MrV

I had my first "my mate will come and inspect it"

Sold an 09 Corsa Monday to a young local lad fresh out of passing his test and he bought his dad and his dad's mate with him who decided to give it a "good once over". This included revving it to redline, pulling on the stationary wheels to "check the bearings" and smelling the coolant to check if the head gasket had gone!

I just let him get on with it but it did make me wonder, what's the worst you guys have had to endure with the "buyers dad's super mechanic mate"?

Parents buying cars for their children (particularly first car) are always difficult. I had a guy slamming the brakes on at 40 mph to test the ABS was working just recently!

I said "what are you hoping to find by smelling the coolant"?..."oil" he said.."but you would see that wouldn't you"...."not if it's semi synthetic" he said!!!! The fuckin idiot

• Like 2

Wouldn't have revved my car to redline without leaving the door of the building very very quickly "preferably horizontal" .

Don't let them remove caps , dip sticks or start cars when cold  " period " Not qualified in my opinion " 

On test drive if they do anything remotely stupid I terminate the drive in an instant and drive back with them as a passenger .

All about being in control . Take control from the start and they know their place . 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Wouldn't have revved my car to redline without leaving the door of the building very very quickly "preferably horizontal" .

Don't let them remove caps , dip sticks or start cars when cold  " period " Not qualified in my opinion " 

On test drive if they do anything remotely stupid I terminate the drive in an instant and drive back with them as a passenger .

All about being in control . Take control from the start and they know their place . 

Wise words David!

sell corsas get the lowest denomination type customer unfortunately

thats if the light of doom doesnt come on on the test drive especially on the overun down hills in those poxy 1 litre jobbies

1 minute ago, boring dave said:

sell corsas get the lowest denomination type customer unfortunately

thats if the light of doom doesnt come on on the test drive especially on the overun down hills in those poxy 1 litre jobbies

It was a 1.0 too!

I get all sorts, which is why EVERY car now has this displayed below the price board. 

TEST DRIVES ARE ONLY PERFORMED AFTER A SALE HAS BEEN AGREED

IF DURING THE TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE DOES NOT PERFORM OR FUNCTION PROPERLY YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO COMPLETE THE SALE

The Focus ST was the catalyst (test pilots and they're not even quick, infact I hate the 40 year old chav mobiles).

I judge the punter accordingly and if they appear genuinely willing to deal, I void my notice and offer a test drive.

• Like 1

If he had revved my car to redline he would have been ejected from the car. If they ask me can their friend look at it I always ask how qualified they are (I use qualified to people only to work on my cars)which garage they work at etc etc. If they want to bring a blagger they will cost you the sale anyhow through their little knowledge is dangerous(I once had one come and say a water pump was noisy whilst pointing at an alternator ffs)

18 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I get all sorts, which is why EVERY car now has this displayed below the price board. 

IF DURING THE TEST DRIVE THE VEHICLE DOES NOT PERFORM OR FUNCTION PROPERLY YOU ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO COMPLETE THE SALE

The Focus ST was the catalyst (test pilots and they're not even quick, infact I hate the 40 year old chav mobiles).

I judge the punter accordingly and if they appear genuinely willing to deal, I void my notice and offer a test drive.

I'll be stealing that Mark 

1 hour ago, MrV said:

I'll be stealing that Mark 

I just did. 

Another text message to be sent along with our address, Google maps image and a photo of the car :-)

Ever seen in the news about people putting oil in the coolant and trying to con you out of your car? I fell victim to this a few years ago but sent them on their way. Older an wiser now, I watch them like a hawk when they lift the bonnet 

that disclaimer is a sales negative and will ostracise some customers

why not just have an insurance form so an accompanied drive and as you fill it in ask and will you be buying today

if they say no 

use an excuse like answering your phone and say milton is also coming to view the same car in 20 minutes so unfortunately a drive wont be possible but will be tomorrow

keep in charge its your business after all

8 minutes ago, CPM said:

Ever seen in the news about people putting oil in the coolant and trying to con you out of your car? I fell victim to this a few years ago but sent them on their way. Older an wiser now, I watch them like a hawk when they lift the bonnet 

i know a pitch man who used to have a squirty bottle of engine oil to put under metros in the block when they were hot (good sellers)

Edited by boring dave
`

18 minutes ago, boring dave said:

that disclaimer is a sales negative and will ostracise some customers

You might be right Dave but I have sold every car that has been test driven since the change.  Prior to that, I had messers, wanting me to move cars and dirty the floor just for a jolly.

54 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

You might be right Dave but I have sold every car that has been test driven since the change.  Prior to that, I had messers, wanting me to move cars and dirty the floor just for a jolly.

Having watched your video and seen the moving around of cars I don’t blame you. 

Most buyers aren’t fixated on the test drive at all it’s not a priority’s its just the time wasters who want to.

5 hours ago, Mark101 said:

+1 will be using this too; wise words here.. Ideal for keeping a few clueless wannabee timewasters at bay... As you rightly say Mark, after sizing up they appear ok.. then deal with them as you find.. Nice ones always get even nicer treatment to enhance their new purchase - it aint rocket science ..

7 hours ago, MrV said:

Sold an 09 Corsa Monday to a young local lad fresh out of passing his test and he bought his dad and his dad's mate with him who decided to give it a "good once over". This included revving it to redline, pulling on the stationary wheels to "check the bearings" and smelling the coolant to check if the head gasket had gone!

I just let him get on with it but it did make me wonder, what's the worst you guys have had to endure with the "buyers dad's super mechanic mate"?

As soon as they start revving the car to the red and trying to make non existent faults with the car I show them the door. I'm not so patient as I was when I was younger and just started out. 

I use to sell Corsas and they nearly all had a creamy oil cap. The idiots who knew everything about cars and told me to discount heavily because the head gasket had gone were quickly shown the door. 

Never had a Corsa backed on me but stopped stocking them now. Just went off them and prefer a few yaris's any day 

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Mates around these parts always seem to struggle to find the PAS fluid headee tank on a Clio... 

:lol::lol::lol:

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

:lol::lol::lol:

I am not a techie, so be gentle.  I presume they're electric and therefore the header tank does not exist.

18 hours ago, Mark101 said:

fair enough

i still wont use it though

:)

6 hours ago, tradex said:

Mates around these parts always seem to struggle to find the PAS fluid headee tank on a Clio... 

I had an 'expert' looking around a 2009 Focus for his mate last saturday. He spent a good few minutes trying to find the bonnet release catch inside......

• Like 1

it was better in the old days when they put their fingers in the oil tube on stuff like fiestas as they were running and watched as it nearly ate their fingers:lol: