I wouldn’t dream of sending a car for an mot without any valve caps fitted ;)

My favourite veteran tester failed me the other day on "Headlight height adjustment switch not working". The BMW 330i he was testing had Xenons and no adjustment switch at all. He must've had a long day and tried the dashboard illumination rotary switch instead. Should be an easy free re-test :D

Your MOT station is probably concerned about their high straight PASS rate and they need a few "easy" fails and some advisories to reach the national average...

Edited by Nick M.K.

8 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Your MOT station is probably concerned about their high straight PASS rate and they need a few "easy" fails and some advisories to reach the national average...

not my test station, its research on future purchases ;)

16 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

I got marked down points on a recent audit for a valve cap missing.

well tell them to stick it

hang on they screw on though

got it

tell them to screw:D

I seen one the other day advisories tyres ten years old. 

As nick rightly pointed out clearly a station playing with their stats to avoid a random inspection. 

Stupid system 

LIKE all

Sill repaired with filler, well, it may have been a dent, these days Tester is not allowed to dig it out ;)

Yeah bollox I know ;)

Tester near us , MOT 's his own car , puts legal plates on car in car park , tests car , put illegal plates back on car when in car park .

3 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Tester near us , MOT 's his own car , puts legal plates on car in car park

Fair enough, he probably fails the car on the illegal plates, then passes it on the legal ones :-)

The owner of one of the MOT garages I use likes to fail his own car sometimes, say on brake discs or pads right before he replaces them. So his MOT history has a fail every year on what must be one of the best maintained 8-9 year old cars in that part of London. 

Fail, new pads, Pass (and the old pads were less than 50% worn but who will complain!)

Fail, new bulb, Pass

etc etc. 

He doesn't agree with me when I say he is needlessly tainting his own MOT history. He thinks his test pattern shows due diligence. I try and explain to him how the car buying public thinks and we have this conversation every time :lol:

Up here we often find that the "Advise Front Lower Swivel" etc from 3 years ago still hasn't been done, it was just taken to a different, (mates) Test Station for it's Test !!

42 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

It (used to) amazes me how people are so concerned about an advisory from 3 years ago!

Had that today David plus other stupid questions :) 

Tel Caller ; Iv'e seen an MOT advisory in 2016 for a drivers obligatory mirror on a car you have , can you tell why its now NOT  an Advisory . Answer ; Er YES 

ITS BEEN CHANGED ,had a new mirror 

Q ;What was it .

A ;Cracked Glass 

Q;How did it crack 

A;Frost damage .

Q;Oh that's ok , can i come and look at the car this afternoon then .

I never saw the car till last week :) , I think some people think we have the cars ready for them round the back for ten years ,   

8 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

Had that today David plus other stupid questions :) 

Tel Caller ; Iv'e seen an MOT advisory in 2016 for a drivers obligatory mirror on a car you have , can you tell why its now NOT  an Advisory . Answer ; Er YES 

ITS BEEN CHANGED ,had a new mirror 

Q ;What was it .

A ;Cracked Glass 

Q;How did it crack 

A;Frost damage .

Q;Oh that's ok , can i come and look at the car this afternoon then .

I never saw the car till last week :) , I think some people think we have the cars ready for them round the back for ten years ,   

and can you tell me why your selling it:lol:

Have got advisories on my weekend car for “oil leak”.  Strange as it has a service and MOT every Year at the same main dealer.  When asked why the oil leak did not need a warranty repair I was very sheepishly told it was a mistake made in the service....  same garage also think 4mm is  an advisory for close to legal limit.

4 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Up here we often find that the "Advise Front Lower Swivel" etc from 3 years ago still hasn't been done, it was just taken to a different, (mates) Test Station for it's Test !!

I have a friend of mine up in London that his guy MOT’s his car with heavy privacy on the front windows. Makes you wonder how many cars are out there that shouldn’t be on the road!

16 minutes ago, tradex said:

No;)

thing is they turn up with the check list

he's smoking some shit

she's farting on her phone

they go through the autotrader check list

and i just want them to FO

once he starts revving my cold engine i lose the plot and tell them to do one

crazy thing i havent had a revver for years but i got one last saturday

guess what

although i bit my tongue and he loved the car he still went away to count his lentils and ive not heard back

fortunately car now sold to a real person

tossers.................................................

12 hours ago, boring dave said:

once he starts revving my cold engine i lose the plot and tell them to do one

To be fair, (don't know why really cos yeah they are tossers), but 5W and 0W Engine Oils kinda negated the need not to do that, once it's been running for 30 seconds and the Oil is all round it doesn't make F/A difference these days ;) 

I had a fucktard who did that to one of mine the other day, it was MB and in Park, beautiful pristine C Class W204 Wagon, so it hit the rev limiter at 4k.......................

"That Engine is misfiring" says the wank stain ...................

I removed the key and locked the Car and slowly looked him up and down straight in the eyes, shook my head in disgust, pointed up the driveway and said "Gates up there mate, goodbye", then I walked back into the Workshop !!

Car now sold to a decent old boy, deposit taken, collecting today :) 

On 24/10/2018 at 7:37 PM, David Ayers said:

Do any of these “on the Mot 4 years ago....” enquires actually buy a car?

Do they f***. Messers with no money.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

There are times when I think I will sell all my stock off and, have a premium telephone number and email/contact service installed.

You know £2.86 per enquiry or something, never need to go to auction again, job's a good ern.

i considered this a fair few years ago

apparently ofcom the people with no teeth dont like it:lol:

6 hours ago, tradex said:

There are times when I think I will sell all my stock off and, have a premium telephone number and email/contact service installed.

You know £2.86 per enquiry or something, never need to go to auction again, job's a good ern.

Yeah, and advertise 2010 low mileage diesel Passat estates at £1750 & reap the rewards. I’d then be more than happy to listen to the shit the greedy punters spew out of their mouths.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BHM said:

Yeah, and advertise 2010 low mileage diesel Passat estates at £1750 & reap the rewards. I’d then be more than happy to listen to the shit the greedy punters spew out of their mouths.

Would you take £1650?! :P:ph34r:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

Would you take £1650?! :P:ph34r:

At £2.86 per minute I’m happy to discuss it :lol:

• Like 2