Sign in to follow this  
grant8064

Stupid road tax question

Guys, stupid question but i'm having a brain freeze.

Sold a carfew days ago, taxed, driven off etc. Backed it two days later which was all fine.

We've kept the v5 and green slip but now i've just sold it to someone else and am wondering how we can tax it for them given that the doc ref number has already been used?

Is there an easy way other than filling in a v62 at the post office?

10 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Guys, stupid question but i'm having a brain freeze.

Sold a carfew days ago, taxed, driven off etc. Backed it two days later which was all fine.

We've kept the v5 and green slip but now i've just sold it to someone else and am wondering how we can tax it for them given that the doc ref number has already been used?

Is there an easy way other than filling in a v62 at the post office?

I am pretty sure that the car will still be taxed until you put the next owner change. Best to do change of owner and tax at the same time at the post offic 

1 minute ago, Tony F said:

have you registered the car to the 1st buyer yet?

Nope, got the v5 and new keeper slip here...always hang onto them for a few weeks for this very reason. The doc ref I assumed cannot be used twice?

New keeper slip can be used again, try a different digit from the first, the rest stay the same. 

hi grant, have been in similar situation...it sounds simple at first, then you realise how complicated it can get with different permutations.

you can use doc ref twice, but i think you may first need to think about 1st buyers refund. If you refund 1st buyer directly for the tax and then take direct payment yourself for tax from 2nd buyer, so it doesent go through dvla, then dvla will be none the wiser, and you can just leave the existing tax running. This only works if both buyers are paying for tax outright. 1st buyer can't get a refund from dvla unless the car is in his name either, so it may be in your interest to control the tax refunds etc

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DHill said:

New keeper slip can be used again, try a different digit from the first, the rest stay the same. 

42 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Use the doc ref again.

Thanks ^^^ 

I think the shock of selling a car this month caused my brain to go into meltdown!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grant8064 said:

Thanks ^^^ 

I think the shock of selling a car this month caused my brain to go into meltdown!

wouldnt be the way i did it

why

because you havent said how first payment was made

you need to be aware that dvla might cancel this second transaction and you customer will be driving round untaxed

you really need to phone dvla if first tax was direct debit

and read the post from tony f

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

wouldnt be the way i did it

why

because you havent said how first payment was made

you need to be aware that dvla might cancel this second transaction and you customer will be driving round untaxed

you really need to phone dvla if first tax was direct debit

and read the post from tony f

Yep, going to have a check with the original customer tomorrow and hop onto the phone with DVLA tomorrow if required.

Cheers for the advice all.

7 hours ago, Tony F said:

hi grant, have been in similar situation...it sounds simple at first, then you realise how complicated it can get with different permutations.

you can use doc ref twice, but i think you may first need to think about 1st buyers refund. If you refund 1st buyer directly for the tax and then take direct payment yourself for tax from 2nd buyer, so it doesent go through dvla, then dvla will be none the wiser, and you can just leave the existing tax running. This only works if both buyers are paying for tax outright. 1st buyer can't get a refund from dvla unless the car is in his name either, so it may be in your interest to control the tax refunds etc

I’d do it as Tony suggested. First customer has taxed so DVLA happy, 2 buyer pays you the tax money, you refund 1st customer so he’s happy,  then send V5 a few weeks later when you’re happy to do so. 1st customer happy, 2nd customer happy and taxed and DVLA happy! Job done. 

12 hours ago, MAP said:

1st customer happy, 2nd customer happy and taxed and DVLA happy!

That's the way to do it. 

In this example although there are 2 transactions only one of them goes through the DVLA so everything is fine. 

I personally prefer it when customers do DD because there are no refunds to worry about. I had to issue a refund some months ago and since I didn't have another buyer lined up I had to register the car to our company name so we received the refund cheque in the post and refunded the first customer. 

I think in that instance, I'd have waited until you sold the car, and charged the next customer the remaining 4 or 5 months tax, they'd have no doubt got a few days for free as i'm sure you'd only charge for the remaining full months, and would have saved putting an extra keeper on the V5. Horses for courses, just what i'd have done, and just stood the month or twos tax cost. :)