Sign in to follow this  
Lucas

Who pays for the collision during the test drive?

Assume a collision happen during the test drive, and the car got damaged. No one injured, no third-party property damage. Will you claim insurance? Or, will you ask the punter to pay for it?

Edited by Lucas

It is your responsibility as a retailer to have sufficient insurance to demonstrate the car on a public road. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Assume a collision happen during the test drive, and the car got damaged. No one injured, no third-party property damage. Will you claim insurance? Or, will you ask the punter to pay for it?

You can ask but it’s down to YOU.

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Which is why we always fill in a test drive form before any test drive (with licence details)....unless you do, you won't know who is driving your car if you need any redress, speeding, wilful misuse etc. 

Also, acts a good deterent for tyre kickers, when they know it will take 10 mins of their time before they can kick the ass out of your car and you have their details. 

We use the Lawgistics form. 

Just ordered one - thank you Tradex

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Thanks mates.

my policy states over 21 years of age

remember you must accompany them on test drives

the paperwork routine often gets rid of freeloaders

never offer a test drive until they look or are indeed committed by deposit to a test drive

its not a requirement you give them its a sales opportunity for you to close the deal

how are you doing by the way?

Thank you boring dave. I was doing market research and setting up the business in the past weeks. Just received my trade plate a few days ago. I think I can start to trade form next week. :)

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lucas said:

i avoid the customer test driving the car the very best i can, tell you this, they dont know the area, they dont know the car, they like to brake hard [ just testing brakes mate] they have no idea of the speed limits, my very best advice, over 25s only, even if your policy says over 21, always but always accompanied, be on your toes at all times, AND be aware of theft, if they do get to talk you into them driving, you drive first, you explain the controls, on swap over, you remove the keys, you hold open the drivers door so customer gets in, you then get in passenger side, and THEN you hand them the keys, one of the very best ways to avoid customer driving is not to go back to base on the same road, as in, go rouind in a circle, all left or right turns if you see what i mean, this way your back at base before customer realises, then you say "oh sorry, you wanted a drive didn't you ? i got a bit carried away talking to you, sorry" and i can guarantee 9 out of ten will say, thats okay, seems good anyway, as you've already demonstrated the car good to them, you've told them clutch is halfway, brakes are at top, you've demonstrated it doesn't "pull" either way. This way youve avoided any bumps, and youve avoided a stain on seat :lol:

• Like 1

I pay a bit extra on my annual premium a year and do unaccompanied test drives. I take a copy of driving licence and details and keep for 6 months for speeding fines etc. Write down name and time the test drive went out.

Worked for me like this for several years. I run a busy MOT bay and workshop as well and quite frankly unless the person is nervous or would prefer me to come with them, I just dont have time.

Just got my very first car. Open for business next week. 

Thank you for all of your help! :):):)

14 hours ago, lastyboy said:

I pay a bit extra on my annual premium a year and do unaccompanied test drives. I take a copy of driving licence and details and keep for 6 months for speeding fines etc. Write down name and time the test drive went out.

Worked for me like this for several years. I run a busy MOT bay and workshop as well and quite frankly unless the person is nervous or would prefer me to come with them, I just dont have time.

So do you tax all your cars then?

No. Insurance company are happy with trade plate test drives despite being unacompanied

Errrrm, I can think of a million reasons I'd not let a billy out in one of my Cars on his own, on my Insurance aaaaaand especially with my Trade Plates on :o

Sounds like a huge FUBAR waiting to happen ;)

33 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Errrrm, I can think of a million reasons I'd not let a billy out in one of my Cars on his own, on my Insurance aaaaaand especially with my Trade Plates on :o

Sounds like a huge FUBAR waiting to happen ;)

Agree with you there , Not a hope in Hell , going to lose one sooner or later inc plates too .

Or get it smashed up , dented and walk away to leave it to the trader . 

Nearly had a collision on a test drive in a TT this afternoon, 2 mins after complimenting the lady how confidently she drove. A mile from our place outside the showroom of my only competition, I was looking left at their stock, she must've been looking right, the Cayenne in front of us stopped after turning left from the small roundabout (maybe people were crossing), I yelled and she only just managed to jump on the brakes, an inch from his rear bumper. 

She shook my hand after the test drive, apologised twice and said "It's the adrenaline talking but I'll buy it, thank you". Hats off to her, didn't even look at her husband. If she had bumped that Porsche I would probably offer to pay out of my own pocket for both bumpers assuming he didn't press the insurance angle. 

21 hours ago, lastyboy said:

I can think of a hundred reasons why i disagree with this, but will just mention two, a test drive is a demonstration of the product its in addition to what  is wrote in the window or what you've  told them, number 2 hope i am not going the other way when one of your  cars goes other way trade plate thrown in window and driver messing with radio :o

it would be interesting and beneficial if you worked out what percentage of test drivers actually leads to a sale .

Only gotta be lucky (or unlucky) once mate. 

I’ve had unaccompanied demo for about 15 years or so and never had any issues. She still would have hit the car in front of you were in it or not. 

We still ask for and keep their driving licence and complete the Test Drive Log, plus, as with anything, qualify them first. 

If the car is a bit special or different, or if they’re young and or annoying, that’s a different matter. 

8 hours ago, Lucas said:

It's a Jaguar XF 3.0 V6 240 premium luxury.

Great cars to drive. 

Expect it to sit around for 45-90 days though, they don’t sell quickly. For me, anyway. 

4 hours ago, NOACROSS said:

Only gotta be lucky (or unlucky) once mate. 

I’ve had unaccompanied demo for about 15 years or so and never had any issues. She still would have hit the car in front of you were in it or not. 

We still ask for and keep their driving licence and complete the Test Drive Log, plus, as with anything, qualify them first. 

If the car is a bit special or different, or if they’re young and or annoying, that’s a different matter. 

Agree. Ive been doing it this way for 15 years too. Obviously if I think there is a doubt i go but on the whole i dont.

"Bums on seats sell cars", goes the old saying and I believe it to be true. I have sold far more cars from getting the punter out in the car(With me driving first to demonstrate that the car drives as it should, no crunchy gears etc and the features of the car they are in) and in the vast majority of cases punters want to try it as well and build that desire. I also find that the punters are off their guard when they are on a demo and the info you can glean is gold dust(How many cars have they been to see, what has been their experience so far etc etc). Listen to the punter and use the info they spill to sell them your car and yourself. 

There have been a couple of occasions where I have had a 2 seater (TT, Smart etc) and a mature couple have arrived and obviously both want to go out and I’ve had more than 1 set of punters to deal with.

In this instance, I have let them drive themselves around (both times leading to a sale).

Or on a real old PX shitter, I just can’t build the enthusiasm to lock the office up, put a sign up just to listen to their pitiful bullshit - to make a couple hundred.

Edited by Mark101
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, stockedup! said:

"Bums on seats sell cars", goes the old saying and I believe it to be true.

"Bums on seats" is the bane of my life when they've only come to our lovely quaint just-out-of-London location with picture perfect roads for a cheap Saturday afternoon. 

Bums on the two visitors chairs in front of my desk is what I aim for and what really helps me sell.