Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

So what do you think happened here?

The other Monday when I met EPV at Blackbushe I bought a very clean 2013 Toyota Auris Hybrid in White which was offered MILEAGE INCORRECT due to a MOT discrepancy. Mileage 90500 miles. I have published it here. My hunch was that it was a genuine car with genuine miles and I thought that both MOTs were done by the same garage, one two days after the other because they had wrong details on the system. But when I got the car and looked up the MOT locations online they are not the same. What do you think happened? 

The car comes with a full Toyota history, serviced on 8/8/2018 at 88064 miles and book stamped, copy of the receipt is present. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 13.03.50.jpg

Edited by Nick M.K.

you can ring the mot stations up and query it but it seems a straight case of clocking to increase trade in price

this is why i always check dvsa before i bid,i have one here where its clearly an error by mot station 5 years ago but it will be shown to a purchaser put on their receipt and made to sign that they have seen the anomaly

someone posted this site up a few weeks back its cracking to get quick up to date info

https://caranalytics.co.uk

5 hours ago, boring dave said:

you can ring the mot stations up and query it but it seems a straight case of clocking to increase trade in price

The mileage is GENUINE, no clocking involved but this is what 50 other traders in the auction hall assumed on the day so I got it for decent money. 

Can anyone else venture a guess?

5 hours ago, boring dave said:

straight case of clocking to increase trade in price

Also, who would clock a car a day after a main dealer service and MOT only to then go and do another MOT?

Edited by Nick M.K.

Not totally sure how the MOT system works at the test station but I thought the tester enters the VRM and then should check the VIN against what is displayed? 

Could be they have entered a similar reg which happens to be an Auris?  Chances are a call to the 2nd garage and they won’t recognise the registration.

• Like 2

You can talk all of the talk but at the end of the day it looks to of been clocked, was advertised as being clocked & was bought by Nick as being clocked.

I’d re-MOT and point out the minor issue at viewings.

It wouldn't have been clocked as the mileage is currently 90k not 78k. The car would not have done 12k miles in 2 months. 

I have no idea on this one Nick, I agree with you seems to have been a mistake somewhere down the line but how and why is a strange one. 

Was it the wrong car that got entered on the system? We have a fiat cubo with very low mileage, a chap came to look at it, he had the exact same cubo with virtually the same reg, just 1 number was different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James01 said:

It wouldn't have been clocked as the mileage is currently 90k not 78k. The car would not have done 12k miles in 2 months. 

I have no idea on this one Nick, I agree with you seems to have been a mistake somewhere down the line but how and why is a strange one. 

Yes but the MOT makes it look like it’s been clocked, which although it won’t of been it still looks like it. IMO it needs re-MOTing to bring the mileage back in line.

33 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

The mileage is GENUINE, no clocking involved but this is what 50 other traders in the auction hall assumed on the day so I got it for decent money. 

Can anyone else venture a guess?

Also, who would clock a car a day after a main dealer service and MOT only to then go and go another MOT?

its the oldest trick in the book

trader buys car off dealer /owner

clocks it

sells it at another auction they normally use a blunt instrument on the service book though 

so tell us what you have found out rather than half guessing

was this an assured seller you bought it off

next time keep your hands in your pocket on dodgy mileages because you will bust a gut selling them

2 minutes ago, david gott said:

Was it the wrong car that got entered on the system? We have a fiat cubo with very low mileage, a chap came to look at it, he had the exact same cubo with virtually the same reg, just 1 number was different.

That’s assuming Nick does NOT have the latest certificate. 

Funnily enough the MOT station I usually use did that to a punter’s car - it was only when he got home & noticed the car make/model on his new MOT certificate that it came to light. The DVLA deleted it from the system.

19 minutes ago, boring dave said:

its the oldest trick in the book

trader buys car off dealer /owner

clocks it

sells it at another auction they normally use a blunt instrument on the service book though 

so tell us what you have found out rather than half guessing

was this an assured seller you bought it off

next time keep your hands in your pocket on dodgy mileages because you will bust a gut selling them

This doesn't make sense. 

Are you saying they have clocked it back to 78k for an MOT 2 days after having one done at a main dealer and then changed it back to 90k miles after, which is the mileage the car is currently on? Bearing in mind the MOT was only done 8 weeks ago. 

Edited by James01

Def case of a similar reg been entered wrong for me, and have you rang up the National Mileage register Nick? There very helpful. 

Even if you can’t get it changed eventually (I would be amazed if you can’t) then most normal people will understand and see the error when it comes to selling it. 

The ones that were thinking similar reg got it spot on. 

I played a bit with similar reg combos and found it!  A Silver Prius reg LT63HCG (very similar admittedly) went for it's MOT in Luton and the tester entered the reg wrong. I called DVSA who will delete the wrong MOT information from the record of my car. 

I've never seen this before, the lady from DVSA says it happens every now and then. Biggest loser was the last registered keeper who did a new MOT, full main dealer service and 2000 miles later sold it to WBAC who picked up the discrepancy and presumably hit him hard on the price. In their defence they entered the car as "Mileage Incorrect" through Blackbushe. I paid £7K, just under Cap Clean, I am sure it would've made more in this condition and in white if it wasn't for the discrepancy. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 13.15.39.png

Edited by Nick M.K.

57 minutes ago, boring dave said:

Next time I'll be all over anything entered as Mileage Incorrect but hopefully will have more than 50 seconds to investigate it before it enters the hall. 

3 minutes ago, tradex said:

Wouldn't the VIN come up though? 

Absolutely it would, as would the make, model and colour. 

Only the make was a match :lol:

That's why I photoshopped-out the name of the garage in Luton that got it wrong. At some point they've spotted their error because the silver Prius does have a valid MOT with a different test number. But the station sure didn't call the DVSA to remove the wrong info from the system.

Edited by Nick M.K.

Take a look at the expiry dates on the MOT's, this doesn't stack up that both the 2 new MOT's referenced the same "old MOT" to come up with the new expiry date. 

Could be some sort of computer system error that's got thing mixed up.... didn't by any chance have a cherished transfer done around the same time.......have had instances where the old MOT history hasn't come across when the registration number was changed.......

Nick, I'll quote you on this 'fortune favours the brave'

• Like 2

Testers cock up involved.....it happens........but 7 grand for 13 90k Auris,is that cheap? OK it’s a Hybrid but if that was up north etc. Regional differences must apply here.   Good Luck. 

33 minutes ago, trade vet said:

7 grand for 13 90k Auris,is that cheap?

The thing is, it wasn't cheap even with the mileage incorrect. My bid was almost Cap Clean. On Autotrader at just under £9K mine was the third cheapest 13 reg within 100 miles from me and in the last 18 months oldish Hybrid prices have risen nationally. How fast can you say Ultra Low Emissions Zone...

2 hours ago, Willoughby said:

Take a look at the expiry dates on the MOT's, this doesn't stack up that both the 2 new MOT's referenced the same "old MOT" to come up with the new expiry date. 

Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant here.

Edited by Nick M.K.

White Auris Auto electric would it be a crazy thing for me to say that this was a school of motoring learner car ?

15 minutes ago, Ek cars said:

would it be a crazy thing for me to say that this was a school of motoring learner car ?

It would be ideal for it but this one is in pristine condition, looks like it's done 20K miles and doesn't have any signs of the pedals in the passenger footwell. 

31 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

It would be ideal for it but this one is in pristine condition, looks like it's done 20K miles and doesn't have any signs of the pedals in the passenger footwell. 

So the He man dual controls have been removed and car machine polished? :P

Just now, Ek cars said:

So the He man dual controls have been removed and car machine polished? 

It's the interior condition which gives a driving school car away plus in our area most driving instructors are Indian (mine was too in 2004, Mahendra Pandoria, a great guy). This Auris's previous owner is called Nicholas John ****** and hopefully he wasn't a driving instructor. 

2 hours ago, trade vet said:

Testers cock up involved.....it happens........but 7 grand for 13 90k Auris,is that cheap? OK it’s a Hybrid but if that was up north etc. Regional differences must apply here.   Good Luck. 

They demand that much up north, alot of taxi drivers are going Hybrid. We can't buy them, they seem to do crazy money.