friar

In the trade.

Hello all,Forgotten how you check if car in the trade, since lost a v5.

Could you remind me please?

Thanks Roy.

5 minutes ago, EPV said:

Ring the DVLA? 

I think there's some way when you check vehicle status on line, that tell you.

Forgotten now.

1 minute ago, friar said:

I think there's some way when you check vehicle status on line, that tell you.

Forgotten now.

I can’t see how, if you have lost the v5 (and ultimately doc ref nr) i’m not sure how you could ever get that online but i’m happy to find out if someone knows! 

If you want to check if a car is in trade then you go to see it's tax status. If at the bottom of the screen it says "you may be able to tax this car at a post office" it's in trade and not taxed. 

• Like 3

You Need V5 ref number to check anything I would think .

Best ring DVLA and ask .

They can work off reg number 

Edited by David Horgan

go to DVLA website and if it's with trade it will say you may be able to tax this car at the Post Office

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

If you want to check if a car is in trade then you go to see it's tax status. If at the bottom of the screen it says "you may be able to tax this car at a post office" it's in trade and not taxed. 

I didn't know this but just tried this with one car that I know is in trade and my own taxed daily driver and it is indeed correct! Thank you for that. 

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

The text that comes up for the car IN TRADE right at the bottom of the page is: 

You may be able to tax this vehicle at a Post Office Branch that deals with vehicle tax without the V5C registration certificate.

Edited by Nick M.K.

A neat little trick there, thanks chaps. 

By the way, what is the significance of knowing that it's IN TRADE? 

Since DVLA closed their local offices I've never come across a car that can not be taxed at a post office with a V62 and £25 fee. 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I didn't know this but just tried this with one car that I know is in trade and my own taxed daily driver and it is indeed correct! Thank you for that. 

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

The text that comes up for the car IN TRADE right at the bottom of the page is: 

You may be able to tax this vehicle at a Post Office Branch that deals with vehicle tax without the V5C registration certificate.

32 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Since DVLA closed their local offices I've never come across a car that can not be taxed at a post office with a V62 and £25 fee. 

Yeah, +1 not really much point ????????????????

sometimes the in trade by checking on the dvla website is wrong

just sayin............

40 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

Yeah, +1 not really much point ????????????????

If the V5 has been lost and the car is not in trade, that means that there is still a keeper registered at DVLA. V62 at a post office won't tax the car or request a new V5. Obviously if you know who the keeper is they can request a new V5 from DVLA. If you don't know the keeper then it's a problem.

1 hour ago, MOTORS said:

If the V5 has been lost and the car is not in trade, that means that there is still a keeper registered at DVLA. V62 at a post office won't tax the car or request a new V5

Errr, no. 

A V62 + £25 at a post office should tax a car and request a new V5 even if not in trade. The only difference I know of (I could of course be wrong) is that if not in trade the DVLA sends out a letter to the last registered keeper to check that they have indeed sold the car and it makes the process longer. A week or two when in trade, around 4-6 weeks when not. Which sounds like a big deal but if you have sold the car and the new keeper knows that it's taxed they usually won't care how long they wait for a new V5. 

I never submit new keeper details in the first 3 weeks following a sale and no one ever calls me to check why the V5 is not there yet. 

Found the v5,but thanks for help with 'in the trade ' won't forget this time.

On 06/10/2018 at 7:10 PM, Nick M.K. said:

Errr, no. 

A V62 + £25 at a post office should tax a car and request a new V5 even if not in trade. The only difference I know of (I could of course be wrong) is that if not in trade the DVLA sends out a letter to the last registered keeper to check that they have indeed sold the car and it makes the process longer. A week or two when in trade, around 4-6 weeks when not. Which sounds like a big deal but if you have sold the car and the new keeper knows that it's taxed they usually won't care how long they wait for a new V5. 

I never submit new keeper details in the first 3 weeks following a sale and no one ever calls me to check why the V5 is not there yet. 

Sorry, what I meant was you can’t request a replacement V5 with a V62 to allow you to tax the car. If the car is not in trade you can’t tax it at a post office.  I’ve had this twice, once about 7 years ago and once last year. Spoke to DVLA both times and they confirmed while there is a keeper registered on the car you can’t tax it. If you fill in a V62 for a new keeper (buyer) they have to take the car untaxed (not possible) but they will receive a new V5 in their name once DVLA has written to the previous keeper to confirm they are no longer the keeper.

What I did in both instances was fill out a V62 in my name to get a new V5 and then sell the car as normal. Now when I see a car advertised with no V5 I ring DVLA to confirm if in trade or not. 

3 minutes ago, MOTORS said:

Sorry, what I meant was you can’t request a replacement V5 with a V62 to allow you to tax the car. If the car is not in trade you can’t tax it at a post office.  I’ve had this twice, once about 7 years ago and once last year. Spoke to DVLA both times and they confirmed while there is a keeper registered on the car you can’t tax it. If you fill in a V62 for a new keeper (buyer) they have to take the car untaxed (not possible) but they will receive a new V5 in their name once DVLA has written to the previous keeper to confirm they are no longer the keeper.

What I did in both instances was fill out a V62 in my name to get a new V5 and then sell the car as normal. Now when I see a car advertised with no V5 I ring DVLA to confirm if in trade or not. 

This.

With no docs if the car is not 'in trade' then you ain't taxing it for weeks.

13 minutes ago, tradex said:

DVLA, the most inept, imcompetant and useless agency I have ever dealt with, it's never black and white there. For instance:

Not to be argumentative but just to offer some balance.

I may have been lucky but as yet, I have no single complaint with DVLA - they have always been helpful and prompt and the Online system works for 90+% of everything I need to do day to day.

I do not work for the DVLA, never have, nor do I know anyone who does, it is just my experience so far.

52 minutes ago, sparky said:

With no docs if the car is not 'in trade' then you ain't taxing it for weeks.

But you CAN apply for a new V5 surely??? You fill in the V62, you pay the £25 and eventually a book will arrive. 

The V62 only works if you have the previous keepers postcode if the car isn't in trade.  We have had this recently a couple of times and where the Postie would do it on a v62 it was only ever if it was in trade, if you don't have the previous keepers postcode written on the bottom of the V62, they refuse to tax it and you have to apply for the v5 in your name.  It's a ridiculous system imo... 

8 minutes ago, tradex said:

I never win ......., the lottery

I wouldn't be here if I did :lol:

14 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

But you CAN apply for a new V5 surely??? You fill in the V62, you pay the £25 and eventually a book will arrive. 

yes but you can't tax it

If you fill in the V62 with new keepers details and pay £25, they will receive the new V5 in their name. Or you can fill in the V62 in your name requesting a new V5. Once your customer or you have the new V5 (with a new keeper added) you can tax the car. The problem is waiting for the new V5 as it takes weeks (6-8) for DVLA to write to the old keeper and for the old keeper to respond. 

This is not the same as the old keeper requesting a replacement V5. A V62 requests a new V5 with a new keeper added.

to muddy the waters deeper

you buy car not in trade but apply for log book pay £25 its also good practice to v890 at the same time

why?

because if you dont once the log book arrives you need to sorn it,this makes taxing online impossible for up to a week if you sell it fairly fast,this means you either need to phone up the dvla to tax (never done this) or find a PO that can tax for you

and also if its in your name then apparently as its not in trade even though the log book is now registered to your trading name business you cannot do test drives on trade plates you are supposed to tax it

no wonder i voted brexit so things like this can be put right for future generations when we get our old laws eventually back (including hanging,did i say i might run as an MP