Sign in to follow this  
DBDlloyds

Honda CRV 2.2 CDTI Starting problem

Hi guys,

I am having problems with a Honda 2.2 CDTI 2006 manual transmission.The car has covered 131,000 miles but got 12 main dealer stamps book. Car drives nicely but it does not like to start unless you depress the throttle pedal while cranking the engine. All that happens if you dont put your foot on the throttle is, it fires up, shudders and dies. As I say, as soon as running she runs smoothly....

I just wondered if this was something you guys had come across.

many thanks....

6 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Hi, thanks very much for this. Mine is different, it restarts fine when hot it is only from cold or cool engine stat ups....

Thanks again

I don't know if they have an idle control valve but if it does I would take it out to clean. You could also possibly have a dirty throttle body or even a sticky EGR valve but I doubt the latter would affect start up so much. 

1 hour ago, Nick M.K. said:

I don't know if they have an idle control valve but if it does I would take it out to clean. You could also possibly have a dirty throttle body or even a sticky EGR valve but I doubt the latter would affect start up so much. 

+1

2 hours ago, DBDlloyds said:

Hi, thanks very much for this. Mine is different, it restarts fine when hot it is only from cold or cool engine stat ups....

Thanks again

suggest you reread the full link NOACROSS offered yous:)

21 minutes ago, tradex said:

Yes, that was my point, with 'cleaning' the idle control valve and throttle body, but no matter.;)

In no particular order...

Maybe easier to scan it for any present or pending codes and real time data, anything else is guesswork?

If no codes, there a hint that it maybe a mechanical rather than sensor lead issue, read the cranking and idle fuel rail pressures, read the throttle position sensor readings whilst going thru the whole range of the pedal, just to check for a dead area which may confuse things.

Worn injectors can give similar issues but lets not go there just yet...

If it 'picks-up' clean once running you can sort of discount air in the system but, not all engines react the same to air so, still worth checking fuel filter connections (filter seals/pipe connections), assuming you have done all the usual checks first like clean filter, obvious leaks from the fuel injection equipment etc.

Tip:- Don't under any circumstances place a finger etc around a fuel leak if it's 'after' the high pressure pump. That leak could be a pinprick but, it's under extreme pressure (250Bar-30,000 PSI plus) and you really you don't want diesel fuel entering your skin, ruining your day and end up loosing a finger/hand/limb.

PS both fuel rail pressure sensor and the bleed off valve can give issues on the Bosch FIE in my experience.

PPS 2500 bar, sorry!

Thanks for your time... It’s really weird, by depressing the throttle half way and cranking it over it starts straight away and runs with no issues...

Fuel Quantity Control Valve ..................

Does it have one ??

If it does I'd look at that first ..................

Mercedes uses Bosch Pump, they have Fuel Qty Ctrl Valve, and that controls fuelling on Cranking, not Rail Pressure, a bad one will cause the same issue on MB's 

Dunno if this helps, but it sure fixes MB's with Bosch, but as Tradex correctly said, a guy who can read live Data would certainly save you a bucket load by proper diagnosis rather than guesswork / Parts Darts ;)

1 hour ago, Dave2302 said:

Fuel Quantity Control Valve ..................

Does it have one ??

If it does I'd look at that first ..................

Mercedes uses Bosch Pump, they have Fuel Qty Ctrl Valve, and that controls fuelling on Cranking, not Rail Pressure, a bad one will cause the same issue on MB's 

Dunno if this helps, but it sure fixes MB's with Bosch, but as Tradex correctly said, a guy who can read live Data would certainly save you a bucket load by proper diagnosis rather than guesswork / Parts Darts ;)

Thanks Dave...

Also, but probably don't apply here, Cam Sensor on many Engines is what synch's it to fire up, then Crank Sensor Takes over, Hyundai Santa Fe recently was a bastartd to start 4 - 7 goes, then it would run fine until switched off ............Repeat

That was a Cam Sensor ................... If it's a Billys Car I now change both at the same time, because it avoids the "since you did my car" calls !!

19 minutes ago, SouthernTrader said:

Hi @DBDlloyds I have a Honda Accord 2.2 Cdti with word for word the same symptoms. Did you get to the bottom of it in the end on your CRV?

thanks

No, never got to the bottom of it... customer who purchased the car was happy yo give it a bit of gas...

• Like 1

@Dave2302

2 hours ago, SouthernTrader said:

Hi @DBDlloyds I have a Honda Accord 2.2 Cdti with word for word the same symptoms. Did you get to the bottom of it in the end on your CRV?

thanks

Dave, could this be like that Honda you had with a choked inlet manifold? 

Hi @Stalker ,

No that Civic was just gutless for a long while until eventually it would not start at all, until I opened up the Butterfly Flap manually then it would start and Idle ok IIRC

I still say that if it needs a bit of throttle to fire up it is the Quantity Control Valve, well it is on the Merc CDI's with Bosch HP Pump ;)