James01

Card payments customer not present

Hi guys,

after some advice, we are selling a car to a customer who has come to our premises and test driven it but as part of the deal we have offered to deliver it to his home. This is all fine but he wants to pay on credit card but will not be present in the office to enter his PIN number. Does this open me up to an issues? I do plenty of deposits when customer is not present but not whole balances.

Thanks 

I’m sure your customer is OK. but: Don’t do it. Might be a stolen card. This is a known scam. 

Get them to transfer it. 

5 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I’m sure your customer is OK. but: Don’t do it. Might be a stolen card. This is a known scam. 

Get them to transfer it. 

+1, plus transfer is free

Even if I have a copy of the card and his driving licence to make sure it is in his name and it is a "all match" transaction on the card machine so must be registered to his address? 

It’s a judgment call then.  I still wouldn’t do it and I dunno any customer who would object to a transfer if you’d asked for this method. 

They have more protection buying something ‘over the phone’ too I think. 

Maybe just my paranoia..but belt and braces is always best. 

I will take a small deposit over the phone but nothing else and I explain this at sale. 

They want to pay on a credit card I assume as they don't have the funds to simply do a bank transfer.

If you do your checks and addresses, names etc all match up then I see no reason not to go with it.

You could ask for a couple of forms of ID to confirm address.

Good luck.

As boring dave says the fact that you are doing it on a Credit Card already opens you up to Section 75 (Customer can recall the payment within 120 days and the card issuer automatically refunds them the money). 

I would refuse taking a credit card in 90% of cases with only a few exceptions (friends, repeat customers, people that barely speak English or Remain voters that are proud of their vote)

32 minutes ago, James01 said:

Even if I have a copy of the card and his driving licence to make sure it is in his name and it is a "all match" transaction on the card machine so must be registered to his address? 

You may well get "all match" and an authorisation code to boot, but unless the customer has physically entered his magic numbers in the machine himself  it's never 100% guaranteed, and for that reason just don't do it.

I have taken numerous credit card payments over the years and never had an issue with them. I was just unsure if I was opening myself up to a headache if the customer was not present. If I had never met the customer or they had not visited our site i would not even entertain the idea.

If he came to your premises, why didn't he pay for it then? Or why doesn't he come back to your premises and pay?

I wouldn't be entertaining it, but you're experienced in dealing with screamers/problems/nut jobs/fruit cakes.... :P

13 minutes ago, James01 said:

I have taken numerous credit card payments over the years and never had an issue with them

Same here. No problem for years. Then an idiot recalled a payment, my bank returned it to him, I was way out of pocket and stopped taking them. Sorry, we don't take credit cards sir. Let me submit your details to our finance company and hopefully they are in a position to help...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Credit card payment = potential free car hire... 

They still have to have justified reason mate for a chargeback 

This job has enough pitfalls without playing credit card roulette, max I take on card (credit or debit) over phone is £500 for deposit,  don’t gamble, if they can’t get to you to put pin in either pick them up or lose the deal.... unless you don’t mind losing your car,,,,

Don’t do it, if they are genuine they can get a new pin quite quickly these days.

21 minutes ago, EPV said:

They still have to have justified reason mate for a chargeback 

James, we are talking credit cards, thus Section 75, not charge backs. As soon as a Billy cries to the CC company they will claw the money back from you. Because they have equal liability you are their first port of call. 

A charge back can be claimed on a CC for the total amount of the goods if the amount paid was £100+. When you sign up for your machine you agree to this in your contract. 

Its madness in my eyes. 

42 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

James, we are talking credit cards, thus Section 75, not charge backs. As soon as a Billy cries to the CC company they will claw the money back from you. Because they have equal liability you are their first port of call. 

Yes I understand but they can’t do it for any reason they like? Buyers remorse, I mean. 

A customer can reject a car in the first 30 days regardless of how they pay for it! But we know it's not that straight forward. Same goes with credit cards, the card company has a process they must follow they cannot just claw back the money without valid reason. 

Had the sweetest old couple in here two years ago .

Sat down to buy the car and card was declined , no worries I have another card I'll fetch it " 100 miles away mmmmm " 

Long story short he did ring and wanted to pay on card and his brother would fetch it as he lived close " suspicious :) "

I said NO but use bank transfer , Told me to F### off and rang off . No answer when i rang back either .

Now the same couple did have another traders trousers down as they obviously were doing the rounds scamming cars . 

He lost two cars , He must of looked easy . Only found it was the same couple later on when he told me he'd lost two cars 

Moral is DONT TAKE MONEY OVER THE PHONE UNLESS YOU CAN AFFORD TO LOSE IT . 

11 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Same here. No problem for years. Then an idiot recalled a payment, my bank returned it to him, I was way out of pocket and stopped taking them. Sorry, we don't take credit cards sir. Let me submit your details to our finance company and hopefully they are in a position to help...

Hard lesson learned there Nick . I don't take credit cards at all "Full Stop" they always find a way to pay you when met with a serious NO to taking any amount on a credit card 

Love the finance switch :) ,works too 

42 minutes ago, James01 said:

A customer can reject a car in the first 30 days regardless of how they pay for it! But we know it's not that straight forward. Same goes with credit cards, the card company has a process they must follow they cannot just claw back the money without valid reason. 

This is my understanding also. 

The section 75 is there to protect consumers against rogue traders, not to provide consumers with a means of getting a refund just because they change their mind about a car or the car develops a minor fault that the dealer offers to rectify.

By the way, I refuse credit cards and insist on bank transfer, cash or a deposit on debit card. 

Not saying it is, but if it is fraud your card company don't cover you for anything over £1000 from memory, if the customer isn't putting the pin in check this, but mine is £1000.

You can't blame customers for wanting to by by CC if they have an interest free period offer.

21 minutes ago, Row said:

You can't blame customers for wanting to by by CC if they have an interest free period offer.

you cant blame them but i aint paying for their interest free bit or  tesco clubcard points or whatever else points they get....max on credit card £500 and i think i am being generous at that..... turnover £1m on credit card would prob cost over £10k in card charges, and remember turn over £1m you may end up with 5 or 6% as profit so giving 1.5% in card charges just so billy can have clubcard points is bad business, no wonder ryanair charge to put your bags on plane... how much did they lose when they had to stop charging for credit cards....