Sign in to follow this  
FHP11

Parcel Shelves

Hi All,

Just a simple one, but interested to hear how everyone deals with this.

We get through a lot of SUV/4x4 type vehicles. Loads of people it seems take the parcel shelves out, for whatever reason, and they don't find their way back into the cars. And, dependant on model, even on eBay these can be anywhere from £150 up to £300.

We don't normally replace these, clearly picture the boot area with them absent. If a customer brings it up when they are looking, we just say sadly it didn't come in with it in. Never had anyone not buy one because of it.

Problem comes from the punter that doesn't bother to look at the car properly, or even open the boot, only looking it over it seems when they get it home. They then bring up issues such as these which if they'd mentioned it on the forecourt, you'd just say thats how it is, we can remedy, but at cost. But because they've only noticed it after purchase, you'd think you'd sold the car without a wheel or something. "The Car had it when it was new" - Yes when it was "NEW", 6 years ago!

Interested to hear other people approach to what must be a commonplace issue. Are you guys replacing them for sale? What are you telling people who bring it up after purchase?

on our pdi list we have items like shelves radio codes locking wheel nuts, customer signs job done 

Unless it is a deal breaker we don't bother to replace them.

If a customer brings it up after sale then we simply tell them we didn't get one when we bought the car and was never advertised with one.

Same thing with spare keys also. 

I’ve got a 4 year old focus up for sale currently. It doesn’t have one. I didn’t notice when I inspected, it was a part ex. So I was napping there but I digress. When I come to showing a punter round, if they mention it i’ll offer £100 off to help them replace it. If they don’t notice it but do a few days later i’ll politely tell them to do one. 

Agree with Arfur above plus we don't have to sell the cars with absolutely everything they came with when they were brand new. One key is OK as is a missing spanner or a handbook or a screwdriver or a first aid kit or the pair of white cotton gloves. Some dealers even take stuff off their stock to sell individually. 

If your advert shows a photo of the boot with no parcel shelf it's OK for it to be missing. If the punter wants it badly offer to supply them one for a hundred quid or if they are about to walk because a parcel shelf is an absolute must, write in the invoice that you will supply a used one at no cost to them. 

They only want one because they find out its £300 .

If it wasnt pictured then it hasnt got one " simples " 

PDI sheet , its a used car , hasn't got the same tyres on as when it was new either has it . 

3 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

hasn't got the same tyres on as when it was new either has it . 

Do you mean that you don't put a new set of the manufacturer's specified tyres on each car that you sell?

Thanks I though as much.

I began to question myself when people would act in sheer shock when we say it doesn't have one because it didn't come with one.

At least I know were not alone!

Just frustrating that the people that spot things after they bought it think that they are somehow more entitled than the people that bothered to look at the car in the first place!

7 hours ago, FHP11 said:

Thanks I though as much.

I began to question myself when people would act in sheer shock when we say it doesn't have one because it didn't come with one.

At least I know were not alone!

Just frustrating that the people that spot things after they bought it think that they are somehow more entitled than the people that bothered to look at the car in the first place!

It is a buyers obligation to be diligent and inspect the car properly. 

16 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

Agree with Arfur above plus we don't have to sell the cars with absolutely everything they came with when they were brand new. One key is OK as is a missing spanner or a handbook or a screwdriver or a first aid kit or the pair of white cotton gloves. Some dealers even take stuff off their stock to sell individually. 

If your advert shows a photo of the boot with no parcel shelf it's OK for it to be missing. If the punter wants it badly offer to supply them one for a hundred quid or if they are about to walk because a parcel shelf is an absolute must, write in the invoice that you will supply a used one at no cost to them. 

Agreed

Jeez, I'd like a £ for every Car I've bought that doesn't even have a Jack or Wheelbrace :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

Agreed

Jeez, I'd like a £ for every Car I've bought that doesn't even have a Jack or Wheelbrace :(

Or pay a £1 and get a replacement from a breaker.

On 19 September 2018 at 8:59 AM, Dave2302 said:

Agreed

I agree, a regular thing now. I wish i could find 'boot kits' for £1?

2 hours ago, met said:

I agree, a regular thing now. I wish i could find 'boot kits' for £1?

Tongue in cheek, usually a tenner for brace and jack

if it is something you can have made out of some mdf then painted matt black depending on the car/price this can be better than a large void

Amazing how the customer complains stuff is missing isnt it :) 

They are the beggars that NICK stuff in the first place when they swap em . No doubt half of Ebay has it for sale at some point . 

Had the thieving beggars bring Px's back a week later with tyres swapped for bald ones and such :( 

Worst i remember seeing was a complete interior had been changed for one that was knackered , why he wanted 5 days to collect his new car no doubt .Was totally shocked that I'd seen it , denial till I shown him pictures :) That cost him the PX as I said no deal , Paid the balance too so had no choice but to find the rest and sell his Knacker Himself 

20 minutes ago, boring dave said:

if it is something you can have made out of some mdf then painted matt black depending on the car/price this can be better than a large void

Don't they do something like that to mount big speakers in? Cost about £200:D

6 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Tongue in cheek, usually a tenner for brace and jack

What I usually find is 'everything' missing. So, you can't just stick a Halfords scissor jack in there and call it job done.