Lucas

(No longer) Looking for a Partner

4 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Lucas you've got no experience but you can gain it. Start with a couple of cars from home. Then 4, then keep increasing. You'll gain that experience. James and Mark work solo from home and they're doing well.

Don't get involved with someone you don't know, especially if they know you have 200k to burn. Having a partner in any business means sharing the profit, access to YOUR money, and having to consider someone else's opinion. Trust me it's messy at times, and it can hurt people. You might lose money because your partner wanted to buy a car you didn't agree with. Or a car might fail in your hands. Mistakes happen and a partner isn't selected lightly.

Be very careful. I'd personally start solo from home until you gain that experience. Then find a unit once you know what you're doing.

You might not have car experience, but be on the ball and have a sharp eye even if you invest somewhere.

3 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

Lucas you've got no experience but you can gain it. Start with a couple of cars from home. Then 4, then keep increasing. You'll gain that experience. James and Mark work solo from home and they're doing well.

Don't get involved with someone you don't know, especially if they know you have 200k to burn. Having a partner in any business means sharing the profit, access to YOUR money, and having to consider someone else's opinion. Trust me it's messy at times, and it can hurt people. You might lose money because your partner wanted to buy a car you didn't agree with. Or a car might fail in your hands. Mistakes happen and a partner isn't selected lightly.

Be very careful. I'd personally start solo from home until you gain that experience. Then find a unit once you know what you're doing.

You might not have car experience, but be on the ball and have a sharp eye even if you invest somewhere.

Thank you very much for your advice. Will do.

33 minutes ago, Dave2302 said:

This is like Dragons Den in reverse :D

Seriously mate, keep your cash for a while and do some Business Studies, selling used Cars is not the bed of roses it used to be.

BTW if you are looking for a smaller investment, I have a long term opportunity that might be right up your street, for only £20k, pm me, and I'll give you my phone number and talk you through it !!

You won't need to do much work to get a return either ;)

Thank you mate. I am not only looking for investment, but also build up a business. 

1 hour ago, met said:

Take a tip from an old person. If you've got a spare £200k, stick it in your pension!

Thank you met 

1 hour ago, tradex said:

I maybe old school, old, cynical,  wizerned in my ways but anyone who came on an open forum with offers a 200k to go wingman wouldn't be someone I'd want to get into bed with.

Theres a guy in my local who's always offering this that and the other and that's face to face, William we call him, polite for Billy.

FFS boys do you really don't think this guy is for real? Good entertainment for him as he drinks his Cupa-Soup evening meal, in his one room bedsit, whilst looking up at his Lambo' and Lady Sonia posters.;)

PS and Lightening McQueen, Mater et al teacups.

Thanks for your joke. I just setting up the business but found that  maybe better if I have an experienced pro as partner.

This is a WIND Up isn't it 

You will need more than 200k to invest my friend ,not worth having you around for that amount.

Try again when you have saved some more money  . The profit on that small investment wouldn't  pay the paper work to make it worth thinking about 

I'm OUT :) 

2 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

This is a WIND Up isn't it 

You will need more than 200k to invest my friend ,not worth having you around for that amount.

Try again when you have saved some more money  . The profit on that small investment wouldn't  pay the paper work to make it worth thinking about 

I'm OUT :) 

I think you are right. Thank you!

Ok, guys. I have to give up the car dealer plan just because I can not get the motor trade insurance due to my driver license only three months old! Plus, I moved to the UK one year ago. So I can not do it myself.

Thank you for all the comments. :)

Edited by Lucas

wonder which forum he will be on next? Is there one for estate agents? drug dealers?

Just now, MattR said:

wonder which forum he will be on next? Is there one for estate agents? drug dealers?

Good joke. But not fun at all. Thanks.

Not at all. Just a new guy wants to get in the industry buy found out that he is not qualified to buy the insurance. That is what I mentioned before with zero experience.

It's ok if this makes some fun for some of you. :)

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Not at all. Just a new guy wants to get in the industry buy found out that he is not qualified to buy the insurance. That is what I mentioned before with zero experience.

It's ok if this makes some fun for some of you. :)

In that case start off working for someone else and learn at their expense. 

I'm sure there are dealers who are looking for cheap help, you can use some of your £200000 to subsidise your wages.

You need thick skin to be in this game and must not take yourself too seriously: having a bit of a laugh along the way is essential.  You've had lots of good advice- the best being just buy a few cars yourself and learn as you go or get involved somewhere as above.

For the record: I would do ANYTHING else than this if I were you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Ayers said:

In that case start off working for someone else and learn at their expense. 

I'm sure there are dealers who are looking for cheap help, you can use some of your £200000 to subsidise your wages.

Thank you David. But I am in a complicated position. I am not allowed to work for anyone else for some of the immigration law restriction. So, I have to own the business and work for myself only.

5 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

You need thick skin to be in this game and must not take yourself too seriously: having a bit of a laugh along the way is essential.  You've had lots of good advice- the best being just buy a few cars yourself and learn as you go or get involved somewhere as above.

This is nice. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Oh come on, there’s plenty worse than this! Cleaning toilets, sweeping the roads, dustmen, wiping old people’s arses, all commendable jobs but certainly plenty worse than owning your own car trading business 

I will continue to try if any insurance provider can offer me a motor trade insurance under my circumstances. Otherwise, I have to find something else to do.

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

Oh come on, there’s plenty worse than this! Cleaning toilets, sweeping the roads, dustmen, wiping old people’s arses, all commendable jobs but certainly plenty worse than owning your own car trading business 

Ha yes-, for sure, with £200k I meant and a sense of humor bypass.

3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I will continue to try if any insurance provider can offer me a motor trade insurance under my circumstances. Otherwise, I have to find something else to do.

I've never known an issue getting trade insurance.  Have you tried a broker?  I use Alan & Thomas.

Oh yeah. With £200k i’d Set up a bog cleaning firm ;)

Actually i’d set up a roadside assistance company. Heard many a time that the demand is outweighing the supply 

That's a crap idea. ;0)

Seriously though, the Portaloo hire people seem to be rolling in it! (No pun intended)

7 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Ha yes-, for sure, with £200k I meant and a sense of humor bypass.

I've never known an issue getting trade insurance.  Have you tried a broker?  I use Alan & Thomas.

Thank you NOACROSS. Will try brokers now and next week.

I also never realise that the motor trade insurance companies only accepted who live in the UK more than two years and held the UK full license at least one year! Until today, I called them, at the end of the application got denied because of that!

56 minutes ago, Lucas said:

hire some muscle and buy 2 kilos of coke

2 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

hire some muscle and buy 2 kilos of coke

2, He could probably get 6 for that 

2 minutes ago, stockedup! said:

Don't say that NOACROSS...…. we all know it's the best game in the world...… when cars are a selling!!

What is it about this job that we actually enjoy? Being your own boss? Selling something for a profit? The search for a nice motor and the satisfaction when you pick one up for a nice profit?

13 minutes ago, tradegirl said:

What is it about this job that we actually enjoy? Being your own boss? Selling something for a profit? The search for a nice motor and the satisfaction when you pick one up for a nice profit?

its the birds

I started in the mid eighties as a young buck straight out of school with no decent qualifications. It was more about the cars I got to drive at a young age, XR2's XR3i's 205 GTi's Astra GTE's. The money was also very good for one so young. We had a freedom back then to actually learn the job, dealing with traders and valuing our own cars etc. As time went on the more controlled and regimented the job became, some groups didn't want experienced people....they wanted people who could follow their "process". I was fortunate that I always worked for smaller multi franchise dealers who weren't as rigid as long as the results were there! The hours were crazy though,,,,,,welcome to the motor trade, but it does get in your blood.I decided to go on my own when manufacturers started employing graduates to come into your business to tell you how it should be done, they didn't have a clue. most had never even sold a car. Making money is why I do it and it is what I know. Being your own boss is fantastic and I try and focus on the good punters out there and give them a good experience. 

• Like 2