Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Home traders

Marc also 44 : hated every job I ever had. Enjoy this one -  money isn't everything 

I am knock,knock knocking on Heavens Door and according to my wife....MAD.We have our old pitch from long ago which has become vacant and I cannot find anyone credible from any trade to take it on because they say it is too expensive.Since I last used it,it has been a double glazing showroom and lately a posh cycle shop.Its on a very busy 4 exit roundabout next to a new large shopping park,it is a cracking pitch,9 car frontage,23 car showroom........Anyway,get to the point,I am going to reopen it.I thought it would cost about 5 grand to get it ready.Already gone past 10 grand and still 4 weeks away. I have found opening new accounts with people I have been  with for over 40 years takes ages.Additional Bank account,card machines,HPI,BT,BCA,websites ,regulatory stuff and getting appropriate insurance cover.( we only had buildings cover ).Apparently Business Insurance Regs have changed in 2016.Reams of so many rediculous questions like ‘has there been any arson in the area recently’....my answer ‘ probably last night,it is central Newcastle.’...da da da....I will keep you posted and will probably be asking you guys for advice  !

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trade vet said:

I am knock,knock knocking on Heavens Door and according to my wife....MAD.We have our old pitch from long ago which has become vacant and I cannot find anyone credible from any trade to take it on because they say it is too expensive.Since I last used it,it has been a double glazing showroom and lately a posh cycle shop.Its on a very busy 4 exit roundabout next to a new large shopping park,it is a cracking pitch,9 car frontage,23 car showroom........Anyway,get to the point,I am going to reopen it.I thought it would cost about 5 grand to get it ready.Already gone past 10 grand and still 4 weeks away. I have found opening new accounts with people I have been  with for over 40 years takes ages.Additional Bank account,card machines,HPI,BT,BCA,websites ,regulatory stuff and getting appropriate insurance cover.( we only had buildings cover ).Apparently Business Insurance Regs have changed in 2016.Reams of so many rediculous questions like ‘has there been any arson in the area recently’....my answer ‘ probably last night,it is central Newcastle.’...da da da....I will keep you posted and will probably be asking you guys for advice  !

Good luck Ian, sounds exciting.

Keep being MAD, it’s what made you. 

Cant wait to see you in your video wearing your freshly cleaned trilby and sheepskin  :)

3 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Keep being MAD, it’s what made you. 

Cant wait to see you in your video wearing your freshly cleaned trilby and sheepskin  :)

Thank you AD....you are right,when I got my first pitch,I also got the ‘sheepskin’.I think I wore it only once or twice because the other traders in the street had proper ‘sheepskins’.I was getting comments like ‘ nice cheapskin’ son.

Some of the tales I have read in this thread have had me in fits of laughter!   As a newbie home trader though, some interesting thoughts and great points...

I took precautionary action... 

I formed a limited company with my sister. Company Invoices will have my address but I don't envisage problems selling a few cars from her address with Company house records there to reassure customers .

I fenced and gated half my drive so only one car is visible . 

33 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

What’s the week’s update T.V? Any progress?

Hi Noacross

Yes thank you,we have made some progress this week,painters and roofers have finished,Phones/internet connected,roller shutters fixed etc,signed up to HPI and Click Dealer who appear to be very good.Still about 3 weeks away and over budget so probably won’t be able to afford the ‘sheepskin’ unless they are deemed essential for our work and are fully tax deductible  (wife says they are about 2 grand now ).Maybe I could argue with HMRC that a sheepskin coat was wholly exclusive and necessary in the performance of my duties.

If you go to sellyourcar2us.co.uk you may see the pitch and how it should look when we get started.

27 minutes ago, trade vet said:

If you go to sellyourcar2us.co.uk you may see the pitch and how it should look when we get started.

is that honest john walking across to the right:)

you certainly cant miss the message which is brilliant