Sign in to follow this  
Marc

Home traders

21 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

They will genuinely hate you, there may be a couple who give support but deep down they wished you weren’t doing what you are doing. 

You are bringing their area down, you are devaluing their homes. These people don’t want a Motor Trader in their area. They will talk together in groups, they will stare at you, you will be hated. There is no getting away from it.

You will have punters turning up unannounced, they will knock on neighbours doors asking for you etc etc. 

The coucil will try to bully you, you will get threats and letters. You will get notes on your cars, they will be vandalised and more. It doesn’t matter how discrete you are, they will be watching and believe me some sad retired bastard make there daily goal to stop you. 

Other than that it’s great :) Keep Smiling to them, be polite, keep discreet, don’t take up roadside parking and fuck em. You have every right to do what you are doing 

I have too experienced pretty much all of the above! The worst part for me was when punters turned up, they NEVER park on your driveway, they will park over a neighbours drive, most likely the drive of the ones that hate you lol

This happened to a friend of ours .started selling from home , Neighbours got very jealous and reported him .

Planning man came round , took reg of cars to check they were reg to him .

Result is planning won , he moved to a unit and gone from good to better doing the job so it worked out great for him .

At home he bought 4 bangers , and I mean bangers , rusty bangers , MOT and insurance later they were parked out side his house for the neighbours to look at .

Didn't like decent clean cars on his drive he says so now his 30k car sits on the drive and the bangers on the road all outside his house , They tried moving them to NO avail, reg to his wife insured on MID and they all have an MOT and tax . Been there two years now .

One neighbour complained about the state of them so he painted two of them with house emulsion paint  in pink :) 

Jealousy !!!!!, route of all evil they say :)

Hope it works out for you Marc 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, David Horgan said:

This happened to a friend of ours .started selling from home , Neighbours got very jealous and reported him .

Result is planning won , he moved to a unit and gone from good to better doing the job so it worked out great for him .

At home he bought 4 bangers , and I mean bangers , rusty bangers , MOT and insurance later they were parked out side his house for the neighbours to look at .

Didn't like decent clean cars on his drive he says so now his 30k car sits on the drive and the bangers on the road all outside his house , They tried moving them to NO avail, reg to his wife insured on MID and they all have an MOT and tax . Been there two years now .

One neighbour complained about the state of them so he painted two of them with house emulsion paint  in pink :) 

Hahaha that is brilliant!! 

Sounds like bullshit /a dick to me.

• Like 2

I've mentioned before about a guy on the corner of my road. His 'stock' has now expanded out of his corner plot and into my road. Cars in various states of repair runners/non runners. He does mechanical repairs, bodywork and rebuilds salvage. He sometimes brings home breakdowns on his truck. At all times of the night too. He is a Polish guy and up until recently only seemed to deal with other Polish people. Or at least that's what I've seen. He does not appear to advertise anywhere that I can find so it could be FB or postcards in the newsagent. And none of his cars have for sale signs in them. He only seems to trade the usual eastern european favourites ie Merc/Audi/BMW/VW.

I have a parade of shops about a mile from my house. About 50 shops in length with free parking. I've noticed a few cars for sale, 2 or 3 spaced out down the street with the same style of signs in the windscreen. I'll see how long before the council slap a sticker on them!:D.

Edited by met

How true about customers parking half way over a neighbours drive! most of the things you guys have said are spookily accurate .

If the neighbours seen my accounts maybe they'd change their minds. I'm doing ok for starting a new business but by no stretch of the imagination coining it in. 

Some good suggestions on trying to calm the situation and the powers that the local authority possess or in this case don't posess. 

Thanks for the advice/opinions

All the comments are true for me  to. I have moved back to the north east recently and into a normal working class area.  I try and do my bit for the village, cutting the grass in the public areas, my wife baked at the gala day we help out as much as possible,  I ensure the road and area round my house is clean and tidy, always make sure my cars look smart. Pick litter up and others dog crap on the field, beach and make sure I am pleasant to everyone even though inside I am raging at some of them and their attitudes but I do understand that since I am the one with the business I have to make an effort, it does not feel right, as everyone has said all we are doing is trying to make a living but jealousy is a big motivator and for me I just want a simple life so I play the game. I was lucky we had a traveller issue recently and I managed to get it dealt with quickly working with the council and local press, who also turned up as I was relaying the road and area myself round my property, they said they were very impressed I was smartening the area up, I hope they feel the same now I have filled it with cars!  I do think you have to be bigger than the local busy bodies and not wind them up, at the end of the day if your selling cars and make a profit you are the one who is winning so smile be happy nice whatever it takes and go home and kick the cat or whatever lets you vent but don’t give them a opportunity to complain.

1 hour ago, Ccstew said:

All the comments are true for me  to. I have moved back to the north east recently and into a normal working class area.  I try and do my bit for the village, cutting the grass in the public areas, my wife baked at the gala day we help out as much as possible,  I ensure the road and area round my house is clean and tidy, always make sure my cars look smart. Pick litter up and others dog crap on the field, beach and make sure I am pleasant to everyone even though inside I am raging at some of them and their attitudes but I do understand that since I am the one with the business I have to make an effort, it does not feel right, as everyone has said all we are doing is trying to make a living but jealousy is a big motivator and for me I just want a simple life so I play the game. I was lucky we had a traveller issue recently and I managed to get it dealt with quickly working with the council and local press, who also turned up as I was relaying the road and area myself round my property, they said they were very impressed I was smartening the area up, I hope they feel the same now I have filled it with cars!  I do think you have to be bigger than the local busy bodies and not wind them up, at the end of the day if your selling cars and make a profit you are the one who is winning so smile be happy nice whatever it takes and go home and kick the cat or whatever lets you vent but don’t give them a opportunity to complain.

5 hours ago, Ccstew said:

relaying the road and area myself round my property, they said they were very impressed I was smartening the area up, I hope they feel the same now I have filled it with cars!

:) love it. 

5 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Even 'Jesus' was betrayed? 

There'll always be someone who's twitching a curtain

1 hour ago, met said:

Even 'Jesus' was betrayed? 

There'll always be someone who's twitching a curtain

Et tu, Brute?:D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ccstew said:

Hi CC Stew

If you are in Cambois,is that not in the Enterprize Zone.If so,you could probably open a brothel aswell.You cannot have many neighbours unless things have changed.

• Like 2

Hey trade vet not sure maybe the south end will be where the old power station was, the north end well there is planning for 300 houses so hopefully loads of new customers for me, just need Banks to stop being so greedy and get the area regenerated. Although if you don’t go to Cambois you won’t know the north end as I keep getting told by the delivery drivers.

oh and the price I payed for sea views as well as peace and quiet would make you laugh when if you go 10 miles down the coast it’s five:P times as much.

We had the council come round a couple of years ago. Bearing in mind we have 1 car on the drive and 3 on the road on an estate. Guy said he couldn'tsee any for sale signs in cars, nor any tools strewn around or disruptive behaviour, so he could see nothing amiss.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Not to say are neighbours are jovial, they're all moody bastards who have it in for us. The one guy takes photos of whoever parts OPPOSITE his driveway, because he can't pull his car our apparently, and the other pathetic middle aged dear two doors down comes knocking the door whenever a customer parks outside her house (not blocking her) because she can't come out her drive (bullshit) But..I wouldn't change postcode because of some jealous idiots.

I'd change it for my own joy of not having to look at their miserable faces.

Edited by tradegirl

7 hours ago, Ccstew said:

Hey trade vet not sure maybe the south end will be where the old power station was, the north end well there is planning for 300 houses so hopefully loads of new customers for me, just need Banks to stop being so greedy and get the area regenerated. Although if you don’t go to Cambois you won’t know the north end as I keep getting told by the delivery drivers.

oh and the price I payed for sea views as well as peace and quiet would make you laugh when if you go 10 miles down the coast it’s five:P times as much.

You have done well,if they are building 300 houses nearbye the value of yours will rocket especially if it is front line.

On 30/08/2018 at 3:22 AM, Marc said:

How true about customers parking half way over a neighbours drive! most of the things you guys have said are spookily accurate .

If the neighbours seen my accounts maybe they'd change their minds. I'm doing ok for starting a new business but by no stretch of the imagination coining it in. 

Some good suggestions on trying to calm the situation and the powers that the local authority possess or in this case don't posess. 

Thanks for the advice/opinions

Wife just reminded me about this.Was in between pitches and selling a few from the door.As it was an old imposing house with a  drive and large garage / workshop and by far the best house in the street,selling stuff was easy.The neighbours never noticed until one complained they were getting callers asking about an XR3.They knew I was a dealer and I explained I was selling a few cars but never had an XR3.It turned out the XR3 was a solicitors wife’s car who lived down the street.Of course they never complained to him.Without my knowledge they collectively made an embellished complaint to the council.A council guy called and because he could not see any cars ( they were in our garage) he said just carry on......After that our landline would regularly ring in the middle of the night.This was when my daughter was in the middle of her A level exams.In those days BT would not help as nuisance calls were not an offence.When the phone rang I would dial up neighbours with my mobile to see if it was them.( none of them had mobiles ).....It was none of the ones we suspected.There was a very proper ( nice )  elderly lady and very ‘ churchie’ who lived on her own several doors away.She was related to a friend ......turned out to be her.

5 hours ago, trade vet said:

Wife just reminded me about this.Was in between pitches and selling a few from the door.As it was an old imposing house with a  drive and large garage / workshop and by far the best house in the street,selling stuff was easy.The neighbours never noticed until one complained they were getting callers asking about an XR3.They knew I was a dealer and I explained I was selling a few cars but never had an XR3.It turned out the XR3 was a solicitors wife’s car who lived down the street.Of course they never complained to him.Without my knowledge they collectively made an embellished complaint to the council.A council guy called and because he could not see any cars ( they were in our garage) he said just carry on......After that our landline would regularly ring in the middle of the night.This was when my daughter was in the middle of her A level exams.In those days BT would not help as nuisance calls were not an offence.When the phone rang I would dial up neighbours with my mobile to see if it was them.( none of them had mobiles ).....It was none of the ones we suspected.There was a very proper ( nice )  elderly lady and very ‘ churchie’ who lived on her own several doors away.She was related to a friend ......turned out to be her.

XR3!??!!!! Have you any tales within the last quarter of a century? :lol:

• Like 1

On 29/08/2018 at 7:24 PM, David Horgan said:

This is brilliant!

7 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Nice one.,the things that went on in the old days you would not believe anyway ...But yes of course.since 2000....I can also bore you with many tales about punters good and bad to auctions far and wide,finance companies,Payment Protection and clawback,Trading Standards,paint and workshops,bungs,main dealers,HMRC,accountants/ solicitors cock ups,leases,pitches good and bad,staff problems,past glories with advertising,small claims cases won and lost,dealings with banks,insurance companies,DIY warranties,dealing with traders and all the characters good and bad I have come across........anything I have missed ?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BHM said:

XR3!??!!!! Have you any tales within the last quarter of a century? :lol:

Wow, that's going back a bit. I bought a new one of those for my old dad.

It would be interesting to see what the age demographic is on this forum. I'm guessing we're all over 40 as the youngster wouldn't be straying this far from FB?:D I might have to start a thread about pensions?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, met said:

Wow, that's going back a bit. I bought a new one of those for my old dad.

It would be interesting to see what the age demographic is on this forum. I'm guessing we're all over 40 as the youngster wouldn't be straying this far from FB?:D I might have to start a thread about pensions?:rolleyes:

Okay, i'll go first.

My name is Simon, I'm 49 and I'm a caraholic......

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

Nice one.,the things that went on in the old days you would not believe anyway ...But yes of course.since 2000....I can also bore you with many tales about punters good and bad to auctions far and wide,finance companies,Payment Protection and clawback,Trading Standards,paint and workshops,bungs,main dealers,HMRC,accountants/ solicitors cock ups,leases,pitches good and bad,staff problems,past glories with advertising,small claims cases won and lost,dealings with banks,insurance companies,DIY warranties,dealing with traders and all the characters good and bad I have come across........anything I have missed ?

Oh wise one, we love you...... Yoda your new name is.....  :lol:

I’m James, i’m 40, and i’m something else beginning with the letter C

• Like 1