Philip Nothard

August Market

Any pain points or opportunities ahead of the September market?

Is stock supply holding relative to demand?

Will August finish ahead or behind 2017?

How would you describe the overall market?

Any pain points you ask? Well Manheim's duplicitous Surecheck product could well be described as a pain. Any thoughts on that Philip?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparky said:

Any pain points you ask? Well Manheim's duplicitous Surecheck product could well be described as a pain. Any thoughts on that Philip?

He won’t reply.

He is currently playing on LinkedIn. 

For those of you that don’t know what that is, it’s a game played out on a social media platform whereby the players peacock with fancy job titles and boast about salaries etc... in the hope that they get “headhunted” to a different job with a better job title. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stalker said:

He won’t reply.

For those of you that don’t know what that is, it’s a game played out on a social media platform whereby the players peacock with fancy job titles and boast about salaries etc... in the hope that they get “headhunted” to a different job with a better job title. 

Hahahaha :D

Anyone who asks questions like that clearly has spent too much time in the corporate sausage machine. Sorry but I don’t dance to the tune of a person like that, of course others amongst you feel free to be used by an auction employee.

12 minutes ago, Stalker said:

He won’t reply.

Corporate Facebook innit.

Pain points-Continued general rise in cost of sales,Euro Parts decline in service.Difficulties hiring good all round technicians which applies not only in UK but also in Europe and the US.Govrnment failure to crack down on profiteering and the abuse of tax payers money by Motability......and of course Autotrader and auction buyers fees.

Opportunities,lots of good ex lease diesel stock should be hitting the market at right prices.But diesel prices will rise.Joe Public in most of the UK are not PC and not effected by corporate ladder bullshit and still prefer to have a nice high spec diesel outside their front door.

Stock-There remains no excuse for traders not being able to buy stock.If they cannot buy online,they have to ‘get on their bike’ to find it.Driving up and down the country used to be normal.

August Trade - It is hard for most of us to compare because of rising costs,It is OK talking about number of sales but it is the bottom line that counts.Dealer groups employ bean counters to cover up and produce all sorts of t/o figures to show them in a good light,we don’t.If you asked Trevor Finn what Pendragen bottom line was for last month,he would probably know but he would not tell you,it could effect their share price.Look at Vertu and their TV advertising deals of late,they must be struggling,but not according to their CEO.It is going to be harder for the big dealer group bullshit guys.( not Pendragen)

The overall market for small independent pros like a lot of the guys on here,remains good because they have the knowledge and ability to adapt.You are going to see some Dealer groups forced into expanding into the used market,but because of their lack of knowledge and experience some may fail.The guys who run Car Giant,Wales Trade Centre,Big Motoring World,Arnold Clark and Pendragen to name a few are top premier league players and are not effected by changes in market conditions.

Over and out.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, trade vet said:

Pain points-Continued general rise in cost of sales,Euro Parts decline in service.Difficulties hiring good all round technicians which applies not only in UK but also in Europe and the US.Govrnment failure to crack down on profiteering and the abuse of tax payers money by Motability......and of course Autotrader and auction buyers fees.

Opportunities,lots of good ex lease diesel stock should be hitting the market at right prices.But diesel prices will rise.Joe Public in most of the UK are not PC and not effected by corporate ladder bullshit and still prefer to have a nice high spec diesel outside their front door.

Stock-There remains no excuse for traders not being able to buy stock.If they cannot buy online,they have to ‘get on their bike’ to find it.Driving up and down the country used to be normal.

August Trade - It is hard for most of us to compare because of rising costs,It is OK talking about number of sales but it is the bottom line that counts.Dealer groups employ bean counters to cover up and produce all sorts of t/o figures to show them in a good light,we don’t.If you asked Trevor Finn what Pendragen bottom line was for last month,he would probably know but he would not tell you,it could effect their share price.Look at Vertu and their TV advertising deals of late,they must be struggling,but not according to their CEO.It is going to be harder for the big dealer group bullshit guys.( not Pendragen)

The overall market for small independent pros like a lot of the guys on here,remains good because they have the knowledge and ability to adapt.You are going to see some Dealer groups forced into expanding into the used market,but because of their lack of knowledge and experience some may fail.The guys who run Car Giant,Wales Trade Centre,Big Motoring World,Arnold Clark and Pendragen to name a few are top premier league players and are not effected by changes in market conditions.

Over and out.

So.....we are all ok then..... :unsure:

Still no response from the op, not even a thank you for Trade Vets reply.....

Height of bad manners in my book.

I’m sure he’s a really nice guy behind the bulshit, and is playing in his corporate world effectively-but even the [studio?) photo annoys me.  And don’t get me started on the over-elaborate corporate speak! 

I reply to anyone who takes time to poke their toe into my world.  Just good manners. However, he probably thinks we’re all idiots I guess. 

Next. 

Pain points :lol:

when I was in corporate world, shit like that and the dreaded term "going forward" provided some real gravitas during board meetings. Now it makes me cringe.

latest irritation is people starting replies to questions with "so."

I am sure he is a lovely bloke, takes the kids to the park etc. But, there is never a response or thank you.

From what I have heard Audi/Vw and poss BMW are being told they can’t register any more new cars for the rest of the year due to emissions, wonder if that will have any effect on the part exchange market going forward?

27 minutes ago, DCS01 said:

From what I have heard Audi/Vw and poss BMW are being told they can’t register any more new cars for the rest of the year due to emissions, wonder if that will have any effect on the part exchange market going forward?

Element of truth but only affects some models with others having to be reg before year end.  Wife works for these brands (and others). VW saying costs in excess of £1bn

• Like 1

Phil Nothard is a great man! He helps when he can everyone in the motortrade, Have known him for many years , I've asked on many forums inc this on his behalf for monthly input once he has all the info he always shares it, it gives us all a snap shot of what is happening in the country, trends, etc etc, All useful info in my opinion. 

It takes less than 2 minutes to complete the survey, I've always asked and thanked everyone for the input from me and from Phil. 

He now works for Cox and previously CAP for those who don't know his full history. 

Umesh 

• Like 1

On 29/08/2018 at 5:17 AM, Arfur Dealy said:

So.....we are all ok then..... :unsure:

On 28/08/2018 at 9:06 PM, trade vet said:

Over and out.

Thanks, Trade Vet - any insight from those at the front line is appreciated, in particular, constructive and none-cynical.  It is, without doubt, a diverse industry we operate within and I want to ensure that any feedback or opinion I offer is reflecting all the industry and not just those at the top or with the biggest overdraft. 

21 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Element of truth but only affects some models with others having to be reg before year end.  Wife works for these brands (and others). VW saying costs in excess of £1bn

Mark101 and DCS01 - there seems to be a lot going on around supply but not very well communicated.  Rumors of pre-registration but over the last few months by some OEMs but others are doing one-off large deals.  The risk is, that if new cars are not available to generate the income, then the pressure in the used car market will increase and demand for the 'ready to retail' will become tougher, plus if there are fewer retail deals with good quality retail part-exchanges, then those guys will also be in the wholesale market buying stock.  

This coupled with the impact in the Lease/CH sector from WLTP due to the shortage of new cars, the de-fleet volumes could also be impacted.  

It's a positive market in used cars at the minute but going to challenge everyone to find the stock at the right price to make a margin. 

38 minutes ago, umesh said:

Phil Nothard is a great man! He helps when he can everyone in the motortrade, Have known him for many years , I've asked on many forums inc this on his behalf for monthly input once he has all the info he always shares it, it gives us all a snap shot of what is happening in the country, trends, etc etc, All useful info in my opinion. 

It takes less than 2 minutes to complete the survey, I've always asked and thanked everyone for the input from me and from Phil. 

He now works for Cox and previously CAP for those who don't know his full history. 

Umesh 

Thanks, Umesh - as you know I never want to forget the guys at the sharp end of the industry and always here to support where possible and raise questions that need asking.  

20 minutes ago, Philip Nothard said:

Thanks, as you know I never want to forget the guys at the sharp end of the industry.

Thanks for your response.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I am sure he is a lovely bloke, takes the kids to the park etc. But, there is never a response or thank you.

6 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Thanks for your response.

Thanks, Arfur much appreciated. 

For clarity and hope it helps, I will try and respond when applicable to constructive and rational questions - not just banter or obvious sarcasm.  I want to share more insight on this forum as I used to do when it initially launched, as its where you can gather reality and not 'fluffy' political responses which have an agenda.  On this occasion, I forgot to have the notification option tagged. 

Cheers again and always here to represent ALL the industry. 

Thanks again, Philip

7 hours ago, Philip Nothard said:

Thanks, Arfur much appreciated. 

For clarity and hope it helps, I will try and respond when applicable to constructive and rational questions - not just banter or obvious sarcasm.  I want to share more insight on this forum as I used to do when it initially launched, as its where you can gather reality and not 'fluffy' political responses which have an agenda.  On this occasion, I forgot to have the notification option tagged. 

Cheers again and always here to represent ALL the industry. 

Thanks again, Philip

That’s much appreciated :) cheers Simon 

• Like 1

I am so pleased Mr Northard has surfaced.The guys on here are the front line,straight talking,trade entrepreneurs who mostly make up Manheim customers ( I have to declare I am mainly a BCA Guy).I think you should come on here more often and join in the banter.You could take notice of us more than these franchised dealership suits many of whom could not value a 12 year old Micra.I have predicted that diesel stuff will rise.Not very PC but what are your thoughts and of course the continued failure of CAP to follow the market which impacts retailers doing finance deals.Low CAP values must be great for those auction groups guaranteeing vendors 97% of CAP Clean.You buy stuff now and it could be a grand over CAP Clean and you have bought a cheap car.What is going on,we would like to hear your thoughts......So thank you again.

• Like 1

Yes, and I fail to see why you can’t answer, join in the ‘real world’ on here and the sarcasm as you put it!

Thanks for showing you are in fact a real person!

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Yes, and I fail to see why you can’t answer, join in the ‘real world’ on here and the sarcasm as you put it!

Thanks for showing you are in fact a real person!

But just don’t say.

”So, going forward I shall continue to join in the banter.”