Del Boy

Ebay Auction

21 minutes ago, EPV said:

Low pressure oil light and flashing EML (no idea why it’s flashing)

As well I know, that low oil pressure light could mean several things. I was sensible enough to whack a third party warranty on that one. 

flashing eml usually means turn off do not restart see dealer

not sure for your car but obviously be warned

52 minutes ago, boring dave said:

flashing eml usually means turn off do not restart see dealer

not sure for your car but obviously be warned

As said, the third party warranty are dealing with it mate, it's on them at this stage!

Have moved on hundreds of old cars and vans on e-bay over the years it does seem to be getting a bit harder now with people not turning up but the latest trick I have come across a couple of times lately are London based buyers who put in a high bid early which pretty much guarantees they win.

It all goes a bit strange come collection time as each time a car driven on trade plates turns up with 3 or 4 non fluent English speakers who inspect the car before passing “the boss” on the phone who starts listing all the undeclared and non existent faults with the car.  At this point a new price is suggested and the stand off begins with the buyers indicating they would leave negative feedback etc unless the deal is done at their “preferred price”. 

I can only assume this sort of intimidating behavior works on private sellers as £500 off a £3k car is a good day out if you can do it several times a day which from the cars they turn up in is what they must do.        

Anyway, in all cases money has changed hands, (its funny as they often had their “preferred price” in an envelope with the balance coming from another) invoice raised and most important a trade removal disclaimer signed before they drive off into the sunset.

That sounds like Eastern European, specifically Hungarian and Romanian, to me. Not auctions but I’ve sort of had similar a couple of times on cheap heaps of shit.

There’s no chatting to The Boss-man on the end of the phone here! The offer of the phone getting passed to me was rejected & the ‘physical’ Johnny was told to handover his envelope or go. No more discussions, nothing. On both occasions the money was passed across.

No point f***ing about with these Charlies, get into discussions with them & you get sucked in. As far as I’m concerned it’s my way or the highway & they’re the ones who’ve travelled a 500+ mile round trip. 

• Like 1

On 01/09/2018 at 3:56 PM, Contracts said:

It all goes a bit strange come collection time as each time a car driven on trade plates turns up with 3 or 4 non fluent English speakers who inspect the car before passing “the boss” on the phone who starts listing all the undeclared and non existent faults with the car.  At this point a new price is suggested and the stand off begins with the buyers indicating they would leave negative feedback etc unless the deal is done at their “preferred price”. 

We like these ones, for a laugh.

When they start listing the faults, all we say is 'sounds like this ones kanckered, not the car for you' and start shutting it up and locking it.

Get some shocked faces, and 'no, no we still want to buy it'

'No, you've just told me that its knackered. I'm a reputable motor trader and I don't sell knackered cars' and warmly thank them for finding all these faults that I wasn't aware of, despite our thorough pre sales checks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, D&M said:

When they start listing the faults, all we say is 'sounds like this ones kanckered, not the car for you' and start shutting it up and locking it.

i do that with anyone who treats me like a fool

interestingly i havent had a revver for years

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, Contracts said:

a trade removal disclaimer signed before they drive off into the sunset.

Is there anywhere I can find a template for these, not spotted one on Lawgisitcs site?  Thanks

15 minutes ago, BAS said:

Is there anywhere I can find a template for these, not spotted one on Lawgisitcs site?  Thanks

tell them they need to bring their trade insurance policy with them

you note the details on a receipt of your making, get them to sign date and time the copy

remember this is now a business to business dealing so you can put anything within reason to negate actions at a later date

10 minutes ago, boring dave said:

you note the details on a receipt of your making, get them to sign date and time the copy

remember this is now a business to business dealing so you can put anything within reason to negate actions at a later date

I get a lot of this. And as I've mentioned before, EVERYONE is trade these days, and subsequently feel that it entitles them to have the 'right' to purchase from you at trade price!

Thanks Dave,

Met, that sounds about right!  :-(

• Like 1

Doh, thank you Arfur.  I need to get my new extension built asap so that I can sit in front of a computer in peace and quiet away from the kids, behind a closed door, grrr! 

56 minutes ago, BAS said:

Doh, thank you Arfur.  I need to get my new extension built asap so that I can sit in front of a computer in peace and quiet away from the kids, behind a closed door, grrr! 

Careful! Next thing is the kids start using dads computer for "homework" because your office is quiet!

8 hours ago, boring dave said:

You also take a copy (either photocopy or a photo) of their proof of trading. That way Johnny can’t claim you’ve just entered any old details on the invoice.

On 28/08/2018 at 5:46 PM, Paddy said:

Last one I put on ebay auction was an old Td4 auto cat c repaired Freelander for spares or repair, the title was 'The Worst 4x4xFar' and went on to slate it, it sold for £300 more than I thought it would, 56 plate and went for what you could pick a decent one up for.. No hastle from the buyer either. Having said that the couple of times I've used it previously I've been disappointed with the bids. 

Similar story, different product, sold a barn find snake pit (you read that right) and description started off...'this is sold in an absolutely knackered condition...' made £100 and got it collected - bonus...imo start off the description as you mean to go on, warts and all...

• Like 1