Sign in to follow this  
steve01

Another newbie, Insurance advice please

Hi All

My names Steve and i'm an alcoholic oops wrong forum.

After living overseas for a few years and been buying and selling there I'm going to be chancing my arm here (very different market to the my previous, although i did buy and sell here many years ago)

I've been reading the forum for a while and it seems there are lots of well informed people here which is why I've joined, I have a question regarding trade insurance.

Had a few quotes in and have narrowed the choice down to two companies, Bollington and Geffion, has anybody had dealings with either or both of these and what were your experiences ?.

Prices quoted were reasonable i think  considering fully comp cover, 1 years NCB, trading from home, off road parking, personal car included, and stock value up to £5k. both companies came in around £1400. with what appears to be very similar policies, the only difference being one company supplying trade plates and an app for adding cars to policy.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Obviously it all depends how they assess you for risk but give Peacock Insurance brokers a try for the sort of doorstepping cover you want.

• Like 1

If you get in to this game, your next post might be a repeat of your first line here.

Rude question, how old are you?

I am 44 with 3 points, had 3 or 4 years personal NCB.  Trade from home, unlimited number of stock up to £20k per unit including personal use.  Off road, on road you name it, online MID updates and I paid about £1400 (+ another £500 for telling them that I had incorporated the business - still stings).  

Tradewise via Autonet Insurance.

I reckon you were living in Oz by the way.

50, no points, 1 year NCB on my private car. Was living in eastern Europe, sorry to disappoint.

The cost of insurance is actually a little less than i was expecting so I'm happy with that, i'm just after a feel for the companies. How easy are they to deal with and will they actually pay out if needed (hopefully not)

Hi Steve,

I am just coming to the end of my first year trading and went for Bollingtons.

I am 50 with 1 years no claims due to having company cars. My policy was for trading from home, cars up to 10k and includes motorcycles. I paid £715.00.

As I say my renewal is due soon so let’s see what the quote is.

good luck with your new venture.

Regards Dean.

Insurance can’t be compared equally, it all depends on the risk of you, your postcode, stock and the coverage required. 

It’s individualistic, specifically designed for your requirements.

i was with bollingtons for a good 10 years,they come highly recommended by me

£1400 sounds perfectly reasonable

see if you can add cars to the mid online rather than by phone

trade plates come from the dvla and cost £165 a year

Bollingtons were the company I was favouring till giffion came back with trade plates thrown in. Has any body dealt with giffion at all. Do bollingtons add cars to MID via an app as with giffion ?

I pay 6k a year with Arista, that includes stock cover and we have approx 50 to 60 cars in stock. Physical forecourt, main road set up with the stress and hassle which is included free of charge. 

16 minutes ago, Dealer said:

I pay 6k a year with Arista, that includes stock cover and we have approx 50 to 60 cars in stock. Physical forecourt, main road set up with the stress and hassle which is included free of charge. 

May take me a little while to catch up with you "this time next year rodders"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dealer said:

:lol:

£2300 a year. Forecourt and £300,000 of stock with Allianz. That includes loan car cover but no employee cover.

10 hours ago, Dealer said:

You did well. Stress and hassle usually costs me

26 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

You did well. Stress and hassle usually costs me

:lol:

1 hour ago, boring dave said:

a google of giffion says no,

wheres trade vet when you need him:)

Care to elaborate ? 

We were with Staveley Head for years, (underwritten by Geffion this last year at least) and they would always come out cheaper than others.

But customer service is shoddy when it comes to it. No customer loyalty, since they're the cheapest I guess they don't care much. We were paying around £1200 for 2 partners plus 1 spouse. The app comes in very handy. I think you've got a good price.

I've been with Bollingtons for years, had one claim years ago, private use whilst on holiday in Lakes with Power Boat on the back, my fault !!

Distraction within the Car ........................ A line of stop start traffic pulled away on a fast A road, we were off, up to 60 MPH, then stopped suddenly, just as I was distracted for a split second :(

I braked hard, full on ABS jobbie on dry day hot tarmac, but I hit a Micra up the arse around 20 - 30 mph with my Discovery, totally wrote the Micra off, hardly any damage to the Disco.

Cops involved, had a good look at trailer etc, no charges brought against anyone, genuine accident, everything good and legal.

I didn't claim, we carried on the Holiday and later I sorted my Disco, but obviously the 3rd party did claim, so did the guy in front of him, who I pushed him into :lol:

No problem at all making a claim, and only lost a percentage of NCD, not the whole lot ;)

Still with them today, price hasn't gone up in years, just a few £ this year, and some years it actually went down ;)