Sign in to follow this  
EPV

Keys, spare keys that is

How many of you bother getting a new one made up, if the car comes with only one? If not, how do you approach the disappointed look on the billys face when they discover only one key? 

I suppose the sensible thing is to discount there and then, write it up on the invoice as discounted (to cover any dodgy billy behaviour saying they never received 2 keys)

You get what you are given. New ones all have 2 keys but then again they are 3 times the price....

Most people get it, the odd one has a little whinge ( usually when part chopping something with 1 key :lol: )  if its a deal breaker then do it but generally don't bother.

I always make sure there are two keys (unless it is a shitter or cheap PX).  Costs around £140 but like you say, 1 key does look a bit shitty at hand over.

We, dont get spares cut, note one key on the pdi and insert a mobile key cutters business card and tell them to quote us to get a discounted price... rarely a problem.

£140?! I wish. Even getting my car key chap to provide a non OEM one is £220 or even £250 depending on what type of key it is

Just now, Trident said:

We, dont get spares cut, note one key on the pdi and insert a mobile key cutters business card and tell them to quote us to get a discounted price... rarely a problem.

Good advice, thank you.

£140 is tops for me.  Had a result with a Merc key, usually North of £200.  I agreed to be gineau pig to trial his "new" software for Merc and he succeeded - new key, coded and my cost........ £70 :)

• Like 1

Sell most with just one key if thats all that came with it. Got a key cut for a suzuki alto for just £60 from timpsons. Was non-remote though.

• Like 1

we only sell cars with 2 keys, full stop. If it comes with only 1, we get another cut straight away. However we have some decent suppliers out there and a new Mini key we can get for sub £130. We like to do the job properly, so for me its a standard thing we do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

£140 is tops for me.  Had a result with a Merc key, usually North of £200.  I agreed to be gineau pig to trial his "new" software for Merc and he succeeded - new key, coded and my cost........ £70 :)

Jammy bastard..

1 key mentioned on advert, 2 keys mentioned on advert

customers know what they are getting from the spec sheet. i would be surprised if you would lose a deal over this.

besides... how do so many people lose keys lol - almost every car i get from the auction has 1.....

I always make sure they come with a spare, not a remote one, just a manual one that can open the door and start it. Costs me £80 a key

We discuss this at point of sale.  Usually it's fine, but the odd person makes it a deal breaker - we obviously do one then, but usually just a non-remote one (but depends on the car/customer)

I have never purchased a spare key. “You only need one key” Mr Customer I used to say.

Now, I show how many keys I have in the service history section of my video. 

Most customers have lost key insurance and never knew about it .

Just tell them to tell insurance its lost and they get another without affecting No Claims . 

Does depend on the car here though , under four yrs they get two keys , over four it comes as is . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey360 said:

I always make sure they come with a spare, not a remote one, just a manual one that can open the door and start it. Costs me £80 a key

I have a mobile car locksmith that comes around every month or so and for all cars with 1 key makes me a manual spare key that can open the door but not start the car. Costs me £5 - £10 a key depending on the make.  

• Like 1

I think, assuming this car i’ve just bought doesn’t have that silly plastic emergency key that Audi provide, I will get a non fob key which will open the door made and that will be that. 

5 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I have a mobile car locksmith that comes around every month or so and for all cars with 1 key makes me a manual spare key that can open the door but not start the car. Costs me £5 - £10 a key depending on the make.  

Don't see the point in this Nick if they want 2 keys it's usually in case they lose one or they need one each to use the car, if they try to use one that won't start the car I think it's grief waiting to happen, for me if it comes with one it goes with one unless it's a deal breaker then I will supply one.

I advertise two keys but keep schtum if only one

its only been a deal breaker once and i didnt like her moustache anyway

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boring dave said:

I advertise two keys but keep schtum if only one

Snap, my adverts have “2 keys” in flashing lights but those with only one key no mention is made - the punter can’t legally complain unless you’ve advertised 2 but only given 1. Anyhow it’s NEVER lost me a deal.

There’s only one key , if another one turns up at main dealers I’ll pass it on to you .

sorted !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Row said:

Don't see the point in this Nick if they want 2 keys it's usually in case they lose one or they need one each to use the car, if they try to use one that won't start the car I think it's grief waiting to happen

For a fiver I'd rather give that spare than not. 

For the Mercs, BMWs, Jaguars or the Audis that I stock the smart keys look nothing like the manual spare keys that I provide. The customers know they can't use them to start the car but if they lock themselves out (key locked in boot usually) they have a very easy way of getting back in. Also if you were to lose the original emergency blade "insert" from the smart keyfob (I've done it after a fob battery change at a garage, Jaguar charged £105 for a replacement!) at least you have another copied blade so the locksmith can easily cut an inexpensive chinese replacement of the key insert.  

/\ /\ /\ Lol reminds me when I tried asking Timpsons Inverness to cut me a blank MB Blade that I had, for my own S55K :D 

After being sent to the "Main Branch" by one of their local Sub Branches, that almost ended up in a punch up with the jobsworth c*nt behind the counter !!

"It is illegal for us to do MB and Jaguar Land Rover Keys, where did you get that Blank ? ..... I need to report this etc etc etc"

I even had the V5 and my Photo Driving Licence with me ................ fuckin' knob jockey !! 

Sadly we don't have decent locksmiths up here ;)

On 8/20/2018 at 0:17 PM, Mark101 said:

what year merc was this?