Sign in to follow this  
Nick M.K.

Long day, rookie mistake

So my day started at 2am at East Midlands Airport coming back from a short holiday, a few hours of sleep, then pre-booked car viewings all day (as soon as I go on holiday my phone starts ringing). 5 viewings today, one sold, one deposit, one maybe (will consider finance), one "talk to the wife" and one more deposit: a lovely old gent who came to see my Audi TT (from my post last week about Saturday "buyers"). He asked what the price was and what I can do for him, I said it's £11489, can't do much less, margins tight etc etc but I am happy to knock off the £89 if you leave a small deposit today and he did without trying to haggle more. 

The only problem is that after the people annoyed me previous Saturday with their lowball offer I increased my price from £11489 to £11700 and this would've been the price the old gent saw on Autotrader before he called me today. I'd just forgotten and I don't do price boards :-) The question is do I now ring him back to explain about the STUPID mistake and try to wriggle another £200 out of this deal or forget about it "lesson learnt", "take it on the chin" etc etc... 

Edited by Nick M.K.

If you told him £11,489 I would leave it at that and take it on the chin.  Trying to change the price now might provoke some unwelcome bad feeling / feedback / review.  When he picks the car up you could mention it to him that you actually made a mistake with the price but you are an honourable chap etc and wouldn't dream of going back on a deal.

Honesty the best policy. I do believe in Karma. The good will come back round!

Suck it up Nik you know it's the right thing to do

Take what you agreed on and move on.

It's happened us all, I've sold cars for 1000 less than advertised due to having too many figures in my head. Very embarrassing situation after you realise your mistake. Have resorted to only referring to my website now for pricing and never trusting the few brain cells remaining in my head.

Nick it's a kick in the teeth but as said above, mention your mistake and joke he got a great deal but that your reputation is more important to you than going on back on what you agreed. 

Then try and sell him an extended warranty and some lifeshine lol!!!

You were happy with the initial price, only increasing through frustration (we have all been there).  Accept it, in effect you've only been chipped £89 - the extra £200 was never "real"

16 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

So my day started at 2am at East Midlands Airport coming back from a short holiday, a few hours of sleep, then pre-booked car viewings all day (as soon as I go on holiday my phone starts ringing). 5 viewings today, one sold, one deposit, one maybe (will consider finance), one "talk to the wife" and one more deposit: a lovely old gent who came to see my Audi TT (from my post last week about Saturday "buyers"). He asked what the price was and what I can do for him, I said it's £11489, can't do much less, margins tight etc etc but I am happy to knock off the £89 if you leave a small deposit today and he did without trying to haggle more. 

The only problem is that after the people annoyed me previous Saturday with their lowball offer I increased my price from £11489 to £11700 and this would've been the price the old gent saw on Autotrader before he called me today. I'd just forgotten and I don't do price boards :-) The question is do I now ring him back to explain about the STUPID mistake and try to wriggle another £200 out of this deal or forget about it "lesson learnt", "take it on the chin" etc etc... 

Oh dear that is school boy stuff Nik :) Done your self out of 200 smackers , You will get over it by around Christmas :) I bet lol 

Now lets all think what Nik could have done with the £200 hes lost forever :) 

Sorry Nik . Just made me laugh .

Don't worry though we've all done it if were honest 

I would suck it up, consider it as another one sold and make no mention of it.

I read through some of the replies this morning but my curiosity got the better of me so I picked up the phone and called my customer. 

We chatted for a bit, I explained the small "discrepancy" to him, we laughed off my forgetfulness and he said he would be happy to "split the loss from my pricing error" and pay £11500 - "a drink for you, a drink for me". 

I told him because he was being an absolute gentleman about it I will be happy to deliver the car to him, add a bit of fuel, do a new valet just before delivery and will also surprise him with a couple of bottles of wine. To him the deal will end up being almost the same, to me it will feel like the "loss" was only £100...  

Lesson learnt :-) 

• Like 1

Nick, I think you had a result with 5 customers waiting for you to return from holiday!

2 hours ago, David Horgan said:

Done your self out of 200 smackers

When stuff like this happens it's not the exact amount that gets me, it's the fact that it was my own silly mistake in a game that I should know really well by now. 

3 minutes ago, Del Boy said:

Nick, I think you had a result with 5 customers waiting for you to return from holiday!

I had a list of about 9 people to get back to (after a 5 day trip) but some of them were after the same cars. I have the feeling that when I turn up at Blackbushe to try and re-stock a bit tomorrow I won't even be able to get in the car park, never mind a winning bid or three. 

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

I read through some of the replies this morning but my curiosity got the better of me so I picked up the phone and called my customer. 

We chatted for a bit, I explained the small "discrepancy" to him, we laughed off my forgetfulness and he said he would be happy to "split the loss from my pricing error" and pay £11500 - "a drink for you, a drink for me". 

I told him because he was being an absolute gentleman about it I will be happy to deliver the car to him, add a bit of fuel, do a new valet just before delivery and will also surprise him with a couple of bottles of wine. To him the deal will end up being almost the same, to me it will feel like the "loss" was only £100...  

Lesson learnt :-) 

Haha , you scammer Nick , Nice result , well done .

I’m currently on holiday, back to work on the 3rd. I’ve cancelled my AT contract, ended all of my other advertising and my phone is on Airplane mode. The only thing I can’t stop is surfing this bloody forum. :lol:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’m currently on holiday, back to work on the 3rd. I’ve cancelled my AT contract, ended all of my other advertising and my phone is on Airplane mode. The only thing I can’t stop is surfing this bloody forum. :lol:

Please no photos of your feet/sand/surf etc.. or man thong with cocktail umbrella and a roll of PDI's sticking out..... just a thought... for safety I wouldn't tell anyone your away, business not attended!  ;)  some utter arseholes out there.. many of them billies, but others...

Have good break.... there will be loads of bargains at the block this next two weeks, loads of them :lol::lol:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Please no photos of your feet/sand/surf etc.. or man thong with cocktail umbrella and a roll of PDI's sticking out..... just a thought... for safety I wouldn't tell anyone your away, business not attended!  ;)  some utter arseholes out there.. many of them billies, but others...

Have good break.... there will be loads of bargains at the block this next two weeks, loads of them :lol::lol:

Ha ha, I’ve bought one online already, nice RAV4... 

8 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

mank-350c.jpg

Simon, was that you 20 years ago? Hahaha

15 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

mank-350c.jpg

happy time chenqui

Good lad, where would we be without the tinterweb?; I want to hear you have epoxied the dance floor out there and got some locals interested in an audi estate for distributing the inflatables and cocktails.. ENJOY

Edited by Area 51

23 minutes ago, tradex said:

AT cancelled for good Simon, or temporary affair?

PS do you ever work, or is your day job working for the BBC Holiday programme?

there will be a video

:D

Work hard play hard :)  Just cancelled AT for the 2 weeks, it saves me £700. 

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Work hard play hard :)  Just cancelled AT for the 2 weeks, it saves me £700. 

I could have filled your spaces for two weeks, just considering "upping" my contracted number.

Enjoy your hols mate