Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Customer car blows up 8 weeks after purchase...

21 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

just repair it, you have one chance

£1200 repair minimum 

Tell him you are about to go out of business offer him a token amount maybe £600 / Maybe a grand etc whatever you feel fit and see if he wants to go for it.

49 minutes ago, twerp said:

£1200 repair minimum 

Indeed i’d say £1800 i’ve just had a 3.0 petrol x5 engine recon’d. 

It’s not a complete disaster albeit far from ideal, refund the customer, I like Rory’s idea and get it repaired and sold again. Can’t let these setbacks stop you. 

9 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

I think any court would side with the consumer on this one

Et moi

14 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

I think any court would side with the consumer on this one

I agree, but you never know... surely offering a percentage of the repair is fair. If the car is repaired with new rings n seals then betterment can be argued... this is not a new car, it’s a banger.... 

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I agree, but you never know... surely offering a percentage of the repair is fair. If the car is repaired with new rings n seals then betterment can be argued... this is not a new car, it’s a banger.... 

It’s definitely a refund, repair and resell. I can’t see how any punter would want a recon and not be worrying about the car every night they went to sleep. 

We don’t know how many miles it’s done... and was it PDI,d... fundamental information is needed. 

Not sure I follow. Even if it had a clean pdi, similar or same as Lawgistics, and he’s done average miles, 2,000 say, how is that relevant when something like the pistons or rings/seals have gone? I’m obviously missing the obvious!

Standard German shit-itself junk.  Really unlucky mate, but you're on the hook to repair or refund (less a sensible deduction per mileage done). Or if you pop the business in time you might get away with it- if that's something you can live with.  

One month's warranty means nothing with the CRA 2015.

Cars not to buy/sell.....or use a paid warranty to help you out would have been an option.

Life in the city I'm afraid.

(What about poor old Benji losing two grand and folding!...)

Edited by NOACROSS

23 hours ago, Christian said:

I knew it was a better idea to come here first, thanks everyone for your advice. The customer told me yesterday that it all happened in a matter of seconds yesterday - very loud rattling noises from the engine and plumes of white smoke out of the back of the car. I haven't been able to get a hold of the mechanic yet, but I will try again tomorrow and update.

He’s admitted the fault wasn’t present at the point of sale, something has let go months down the line. It’s Billy’s responsibility to prove the fault was there at the point of sale for a refund. 

I wouldn’t be bending over at all until I knew the full facts... 

This is all guess work, we don’t know the facts 

He’s admitted the fault wasn’t present at the point of sale, something has let go months down the line. It’s Billy’s responsibility to prove the fault was there at the point of sale for a refund. 

I wouldn’t be bending over at all until I knew the full facts... 

This is all guess work, we don’t know the facts 

I think it’s fair to say you don’t need a pdi to confirm that clouds of white smoke and sudden loss of oil pressure weren’t present at the point of sale mate. The fault has developed, clearly but it’s evident the car isn’t fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality. 

Are you getting at that the customer needs to accept a repair? I can see how that would hold up, definitely. 

• Like 2

First point. The PDI shows you are a responsible seller and have done the job right. 

Second point. Fit for purpose, is irrelevant if it’s down to fair wear n tear.  

Im getting at clarifying and absolving responsibility when it is and isn’t  due. 

First point. The PDI shows you are a responsible seller and have done the job right. 

Im getting at clarifying and absolving responsibility when it is and isn’t  due. 

blokes had it 8 weeks its blown its boiler and it isnt fit for purpose

wear and tear in 8 weeks

your avin a larf

2 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Ok, i’m not being argumentative here i’m genuinely debating.

If, IF the pdi has been done, fault wasn’t present at the point of sale etc that still doesn’t overcome the fact that this particular fault (shagged pistons/seals/rings) if that is what the prognosis is, isn’t wear and tear. You wouldn’t see these elements of an engine as servicable when they are worn? 

2 minutes ago, boring dave said:

blokes had it 8 weeks its blown its boiler and it isnt fit for purpose

wear and tear in 8 weeks

your avin a larf

Are you telling me wear n tear doesn’t effect a 10 year old cars ? 

3 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Are you telling me wear n tear doesn’t effect a 10 year old cars ? 

its major catastrophic failure

wear and tear if an alternator packed up fair enough and you asked for some betterment money towards replacement ive done that

i think you will find that if you play this card at court not only will you lose but it is highly probable that the customer had to hire a vehicle compatible with his lifestyle in the meantime and you could be looking at 6g refund n the car and 10g costs

i said in post 3 the outcome

I keep saying the same thing, this is guessing, we don’t know the facts.

However, if your initial call is to advise bending over then you will be regularly and royally shafted (good n hard). You learn your own way. 

5 minutes ago, boring dave said:

its major catastrophic failure

wear and tear if an alternator packed up fair enough and you asked for some betterment money towards replacement ive done that

i think you will find that if you play this card at court not only will you lose but it is highly probable that the customer had to hire a vehicle compatible with his lifestyle in the meantime and you could be looking at 6g refund n the car and 10g costs

i said in post 3 the outcome

Are you with lawgistics ? 

15 minutes ago, EPV said:

Ok, i’m not being argumentative here i’m genuinely debating.

If, IF the pdi has been done, fault wasn’t present at the point of sale etc that still doesn’t overcome the fact that this particular fault (shagged pistons/seals/rings) if that is what the prognosis is, isn’t wear and tear. You wouldn’t see these elements of an engine as servicable when they are worn? 

Exactly, no PDI would reveal this problem unless driven for a week so crazy to say wear and tear. The fault was there at point of sale. It doesn't occur that quickly

I’ll say it again. You are making a huge assumption without knowing the facts. Knowledge is power, until you know where you stand this is all guessing.

4 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I keep saying the same thing, this is guessing, we don’t know the facts.

However, if your initial call is to advise bending over then you will be regularly and royally shafted (good n hard). You learn your own way. 

Are you with lawgistics ? 

lawgistics wont be able to help in this one i really dont think you realise the implications of arguing wear n tear in a case like this

i would put yourself in the position of customer and view the whole thread again

i have never shirked my responsibilities refunded lots over the years repaired and resold

i sleep very safely in my bed and never fear a piece of 3x2 on the back of my head

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boring dave said:

lawgistics wont be able to help in this one i really dont think you realise the implications of arguing wear n tear in a case like this

i would put yourself in the position of customer and view the whole thread again

i have never shirked my responsibilities refunded lots over the years repaired and resold

i sleep very safely in my bed and never fear a piece of 3x2 on the back of my head

You are assuming bending over without knowing the facts. 

10 minutes ago, twerp said:

Exactly, no PDI would reveal this problem unless driven for a week so crazy to say wear and tear. The fault was there at point of sale. It doesn't occur that quickly

You mean the fault was there at the point of sale and the car was smoking like a trooper and knocking like a pig. However, he didn’t notice that on collection, nor did he for the two months he had it... 

Nor did he put oil in it.... 

Who knows.... it’s all speculation..

18 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’ll say it again. You are making a huge assumption without knowing the facts. Knowledge is power, until you know where you stand this is all guessing.

Ok well given what we do know, let’s assume the OP did a Lawgistics pdi and got it signed. What good is that in the instance of shagged pistons etc? That’s what the culprit is believed to be according to the mechanic OP has been in touch with. At best the pdi means he has taken away punters right to reject or refund. He still needs to fix it?