Sign in to follow this  
whitestone679231

DVLA ONLINE SHUT FRI TO MON

30 minutes ago, friar said:

Can you notify DVLA of change of owner online,I always post V5?

I always Google - Sold a car tell DVLA - goes straight to the page and it is a doddle.

I hand the customer the New Keeper Supplement, even if I have taxed it for them and I retain the actual V5 (you're supposed to destroy) with my records for that car (in case of any future discrepency.

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

Not right now you can't! That website is down n'all!

I thought it was a general question about notifying DVLA on line rather than posting the V5. If it was - you can. If it wasn't and the question related to this weekend you can't.

37 minutes ago, EPV said:

Not right now you can't! That website is down n'all!

I can't believe there are any dealers out there who don't transfer ownership online. It's a piece of the proverbial. Within 30 mins of the billy saying "I do" they're the new keeper, taxed and insured. No additional paperwork needed. The internet is great when used properly!

hi epv

i would advise against sending v5c off once customer has left the premises as if you do and you get a screamer you are at the mercy of waiting for them to return the log book to you so you can resell or having to pay £25 and waiting 6 weeks via the dvla

a few years ago i sold a punto to a lady ,this car i had used myself for the previous fortnight with no issues,she came saw purchased drove away,32 minutes later she was back and the exhaust was like a steam train as the headgasket had gone,of course i could have claimed it was wear and tear and advised her that i was to take £100 off the refund for every hundred yards she had travelled but no she got her money back the head was off skimmed a £12 gasket fitted and it was resold 5 days later with the log book still in my mits and no-one the wiser and no more owners

so the moral of the tale is keep log books back at least 7 full days and then inform dvla, you can even tell them the day you sold it:)

2 minutes ago, boring dave said:

hi epv

i would advise against sending v5c off once customer has left the premises as if you do and you get a screamer you are at the mercy of waiting for them to return the log book to you so you can resell or having to pay £25 and waiting 6 weeks via the dvla

a few years ago i sold a punto to a lady ,this car i had used myself for the previous fortnight with no issues,she came saw purchased drove away,32 minutes later she was back and the exhaust was like a steam train as the headgasket had gone,of course i could have claimed it was wear and tear and advised her that i was to take £100 off the refund for every hundred yards she had travelled but no she got her money back the head was off skimmed a £12 gasket fitted and it was resold 5 days later with the log book still in my mits and no-one the wiser and no more owners

so the moral of the tale is keep log books back at least 7 full days and then inform dvla, you can even tell them the day you sold it:)

This.

I hold them back for two weeks just to be on the safe side.

As far as taxing them for punters, surely it's just part of the service? Whether that be online or a trip to the post office back in the day.

OK, so what happens if punter pays in full for tax - returns the vehicle yet you havent sent the V5 off.  Refund goes to registered keeper, no?

I’ll be honest that sounds over cautious to me and something else to remember to do (send the v5 off)

i prep well and rarely have issues. Those I do have would be fixed. In the event of a screamer/refund i’d only refund when I have the v5 in my possession. The car would have to be returned to me and a bank transfer would be done and ownership put back in the trade. 

I like to show the punter at the point of sale that the ownership is theirs at that point, they are taxed and they have sorted their insurance, wave them off and rarely hear from them again. 

Each to their own but i’d personally never delay transferring ownership. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EPV said:

I’ll be honest that sounds over cautious to me and something else to remember to do (send the v5 off)

i prep well and rarely have issues. Those I do have would be fixed. In the event of a screamer/refund i’d only refund when I have the v5 in my possession. The car would have to be returned to me and a bank transfer would be done and ownership put back in the trade. 

I like to show the punter at the point of sale that the ownership is theirs at that point, they are taxed and they have sorted their insurance, wave them off and rarely hear from them again. 

+ 1

All done and dusted, filed - next.

Worst case - + 1 keeper and a delay - happens once in a blue moon and rarely affects the cars value IMO.

If is needs work, by the time it is done, readvertised, found a new buyer - then the log book shouldn't be too far behind.

It's just part of the job.

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

All done and dusted, filed - next.

Worst case - + 1 keeper and a delay - happens once in a blue moon and rarely affects the cars value IMO.

If is needs work, by the time it is done, readvertised, found a new buyer - then the log book shouldn't be too far behind.

It's just part of the job.

That's what I do. Registered keeper on line before they leave, every time. Emails from DVLA are dated and time stamped so if customer gets speeding or parking ticket it's their problem. 

3 minutes ago, MOTORS said:

That's what I do. Registered keeper on line before they leave, every time. Emails from DVLA are dated and time stamped so if customer gets speeding or parking ticket it's their problem. 

I print two copes confirming the transfer, one for them, one for that specific car file.

On 18 August 2018 at 11:49 AM, EPV said:

+1

it's theirs once its payed for. And Sods law dictates that if you wait 7 days it will come back on day 8!

I send them off anywhere between 2/4 weeks. I have a separate tray for people I think are going to be difficult and its marked 30day+ 

Most people are fine, but every  now and again if you have to do a refund its just easier not to have added an extra owner.

Worked for me, just transferred ownership and customer taxed it online

1 hour ago, tradex said:

Still not working, just tried to tax a vehicle.

Done 8 this morning its very much working.

On 17/08/2018 at 2:12 PM, BHM said:

Customers are responsible for taxing their own vehicles here, just like their insurance. I’m here to sell cars, not meddle with things that I legally have no duty to do.

Absolutely, however, as they are unable to tax it until they have the green slip in their hand, it is surely good business practice to assist them to tax it before they drive away! imo it helps them to drive away quicker!:D