Sign in to follow this  
Boydy1985

E90 316D CAUGHT FIRE

Hey guys,

Looking some advice, I traded in a 2011 316d in about 10 days ago which caught fire today.

I was sitting in the office today and the alarm started going off, When i went out i could see flames coming out of the dash. Car was sitting locked for about a week and 100% hadn't been tampered with in anyway. I was wondering what way i stand, all the flames were coming out of the fusebox and i rang BWW who said there was a recall on and they asked had i rang my insurance??

Many Thanks

IMG]

IMG]

Edited by Boydy1985

Oh pants.... that’s bad timing.

That might even have had the recall done and gone faulty, I’d be asking bmw before phoning the insurance. The fact there is a recall to do with the main feed wire from the battery to the fuse box behind the glovebox is very coincidental I would say with your fire?

Me personally, I’d be going after BMW. 

However if it’s had the fix done independently (outside bmw network) I’d say you are on your own. 

Whilst there is a great deal of wisdom and experience here, i would be looking for legal advise.

Wow. Rubbish! Shocking the amount of cars that do this nowadays. The manufacturers must be scrimping and scraping more and more.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/ 

On the above link you can check for recalls outstanding or not. I'm not entirely sure if it will be helpful or if it updates and tells you a recall is done on each car but I just checked another 2011 316D and it said outstanding recall on it. Maybe someone can help? 

I suppose the question is if BMW have admitted it's a fault and issued a recall but the car hasn't been allowed to be fixed by them are they still liable? That's a question for a solicitor though.

If I were you I'd call my local BMW disguised as a punter who's just bought said car and wants to check recall status.

Sorry to hear. I would check if recall has been carried out and if it is a model affected firstly. 

Makes you think, if that started on my pitch the cars are packed that close in it would be taking half the stock out. Must be fully and properly insured in this job should the worst happen.

Extremely unlucky, I don't think BMW will pay out personally or that you will win a court case as they have issued a recall.

How did you buy the car as in the Sales Of Goods Act it states that everyone in the supply chain (all sellers) are responsible for having recalls done and making sure the vehicle is roadworthy.

I'd have thought your trade insurance will simply pay you out a trade value & hopefully you took it in at a sensible price.

Maybe me, but I'd be pragmatic, claim and move on.  

If you were a punter buying the german junk and it caught fire, you might be able to jump on some legal action- I dunno, but I'd hope any customer of mine would simply claim on their insurance too, but this would more than likely be a headache I'd wager if they wanted to cause you one.

However, this is a good opportunity for us all to remember to check for and get any recalls done before sale.

Bad luck though mate.  Feel for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Entwistle said:

Let us know how this pans out, we'd be interested in knowing

Boydy1985, this could be a get out of jail free...... Public relations etc etc.......

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 10:24 PM, Boydy1985 said:

Hey guys,

Looking some advice, I traded in a 2011 316d in about 10 days ago which caught fire today.

I was sitting in the office today and the alarm started going off, When i went out i could see flames coming out of the dash. Car was sitting locked for about a week and 100% hadn't been tampered with in anyway. I was wondering what way i stand, all the flames were coming out of the fusebox and i rang BWW who said there was a recall on and they asked had i rang my insurance??

Many Thanks

IMG]

IMG]

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I thought id come back with an update. BMW tried to get me to go through my insurance but i stood my ground and said it was a design fault and that it was up to them to sort it out.

They send a technician to N.Ireland from Mainland UK who did an Engineers report on it.

They rang to say that the report was inconclusive!! Lol But as good will they would buy the car off me! It traded @ £3400 i thought id chance it and ask them £5000 which was retail. They transferred the money within a few days!

Many Thanks For Help

45 minutes ago, Boydy1985 said:

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I thought id come back with an update. BMW tried to get me to go through my insurance but i stood my ground and said it was a design fault and that it was up to them to sort it out.

They send a technician to N.Ireland from Mainland UK who did an Engineers report on it.

They rang to say that the report was inconclusive!! Lol But as good will they would buy the car off me! It traded @ £3400 i thought id chance it and ask them £5000 which was retail. They transferred the money within a few days!

Many Thanks For Help

I’ve got a few of their finest I wish would go up in flames in that case!

Well done. Good to hear someone actually getting some luck from a big player

Lol, Yes was good for a change. The car dealer is usually fobbed off and expected to accept it and not argue!

Absolute touch ;)

Of course as this is on a Public Forum I forsee an epidemic of spontaneously combusting BMW's all over the UK :lol:

Now, where's that propane blow torch ?? :ph34r: