umesh

What is the future of the motortrade retailing

Where is the motortrade / dealership going?
Just wondering what thoughts everyone had on the future of retailing new & used cars.

I was watching Alex Polizzi last week explaining to a couple who were running a kids fun cresh / cafe business and how if they didn't keep up with the changes and what customers wanted their business would end up like Blockbuster ! BUST!  as they hadn't changed with the times with the introduction of Netflix , on demand movies etc.
Any thoughts?

Things will get tougher over the next few years i think, Roadside pitches will become a thing of the past as more and more traders operate from home or from cheap units on industrial estates driving down the retail prices of cars, this is especially at the £5k and under bracket. It will become a case of having to do massive volume to make it worthwhile.

People want to buy online. The sooner we can do this easy and simply the better.

I think you forgot the word 'some' from the beginning.

Anyway, the majority of Motor Traders do not want to buy part exchanges online.

Besides, we are talking about Used cars, not TV's or shoes or cases of nasty wine or 45 minutes on a bouncy castle. The fundamental difference is that ALL of our products are different from all of the others. So they need to be seen to be compared properly. And that's before you consider the Distance Selling Regulations and how that impacts us, too.

And Max, the more you reduce the Overheads and start competing on price, the less money you make, the more you have to cut costs to keep afloat, the more you have to sell so you'll need more staff de da, de da, de da.

Shortcut to the Bankruptcy court.  Good luck with that.

• Like 1

It is difficult to try and sell used cars on line , although I now do full walk around Video of All my cars , there is something about touch, feel smell.! The videos do work very well for me - have definitely sold cars to many customers from further afield and local , they all say " we know you have nothing to hide as you're walking / talking us through the whole car " and the guarantee I give that Full refund of their deposit should the car not be as described gives them confidence to at least reserve the car. 

Green giant - Why are you wishing me luck? this is not how we intend to operate, i am answering the original question with how i think motor trading will go in the future. And you have kind of backed it up with your response it is a bad situation when motor trading is done on the cheap ie from home or a cheap industrial units flogging them cheap online...it brings down the retail prices across the board leading to worthless margins.

I didn't mean you, specifically Max, so sorry if it looked like that. I was aiming it at those who may consider it as the way forward.

And I think they're going to need a lot more than a bit of luck!

This is a very interesting topic, and I have to say it's the million dollar question as the one who cracks it will make a packet.

As others have said online only will never work with used cars, ask Tesco and jamjar!

My opinion is that car giant has this cracked , a slick and up to date website, most of the cars you see online will be there when you turn up

And when you turn up you can touch feel and smell many many different makes and models of used cars all under one site, you can't beat that

Then you simply queue up take a test drive, queue up and pay, and go home

For me this is the future, and us little guys won't have much hope if many car Giants open up like asdas and tescos, why this hasn't happened I don't know, but when it finally does the small independents will be few and far between

Also most of the big branded car dealers in America sell their used px cars direct to the public, this is harder to do in the uk due to space, but again this might also be the future, imagine a sytner online auction which the public have access to!

i would just like to add i resemble this remark as it cuts down the tyre kickers one gets when running an open pitch,the satnav was the best thing invented as far as im concerned as you no longer need expensive roadside plots

S & B - You no longer need expensive roadside pitches i agree my response was to umesh asking how the motor trade will go in the future. My opinion is more and more traders will operate from home or cheap units as it is now very easy to be a trader on the internet. This will lead to retail prices dropping as roadside pitches will not be able to compete on price and lets face it most buyers are driven by price, it is easy now to do a 50 mile radius search of every car available in the trade and price compare, i know of several so called traders operating close to me who are selling cars at not much more than i would expect to pay for them! 

One thing though max those cheaper cars are generally crap or dodgy and badly prepped, that's if they are even prepped at all, they get the buyers but not the customers we are chasing, it's a different model to us

• Like 1

One thing though max those cheaper cars are generally crap or dodgy and badly prepped, that's if they are even prepped at all, they get the buyers but not the customers we are chasing, it's a different model to us

Absolutely, it's like comparing your local cheap sunday cavery with a proper sunday lunch that may cost a couple of quid more bit is  edible and tasty. There is a market for both, thankfully it's not all about price.

I think quality still have a place over price in our business, but for sure when your on the AT app searching price low to high these cheaper shitters dominate the first page, it's annoying

you can prep your cars till the cows come home but most customers are still totally price driven first,the good thing is most look at the rubbish first then realise they need to spend more,however i find that these big pitches with lots of cars neither pre mechanically check their cars or even make sure they start on the button even though they are advertised as ready to roll so lots of sales can be made by offering genuine ready to drive away stuff that you know yourself will not be back tomorrow with a list and a moan,this is why i keep low stocks but everything is proper ready

Preparation, display , marketing it correctly has to be right ! as said i'm told too many times by potential customers who have seen a car much cheaper , driven to see it only to be  a wasted journey ! There are still many customers who want a proper car and pay the money AND want to be treated as a valuable customer.

The guys who think they can buy a car add small profit but not prepare it correctly , thinking the car will sell because its cheap are disillusioned .. how many times do we all see cars on trade systems i.e. ATM - Overage - but needs £XXX spending ! guess what - Majority of the time had it been professionally prepared, marketed correctly it would have sold and not become an overage / unsalable problem  ! Well thats my thoughts :) 

But don't you think ATM now has real price problem? Cars for sale on their are well above what we need on a decent margin and we all know it, you put a px car to clear quickly on ATM and you will get low balled on the phone and emails for days, it worser then Ebay or gumtree sometimes

I guess this reflects the sorts of traders who are now a majority on ATM

I also experienced a first on ATM when a trader agreed a price with me for a nice low miles Volvo I had on there only to turn up and try haggle me to half price! You can say it was worser then selling on eBay to a wideboy, these wideboys are now ATM members so beware

Anyway rant over

But don't you think ATM now has real price problem? Cars for sale on their are well above what we need on a decent margin and we all know it, you put a px car to clear quickly on ATM and you will get low balled on the phone and emails for days, it worser then Ebay or gumtree sometimes

I guess this reflects the sorts of traders who are now a majority on ATM

I also experienced a first on ATM when a trader agreed a price with me for a nice low miles Volvo I had on there only to turn up and try haggle me to half price! You can say it was worser then selling on eBay to a wideboy, these wideboys are now ATM members so beware

Anyway rant over

We got stung many times on ATM. All though it's part of our package with autotrader, we no longer use it.

I'm really not surprised Ken, ATM used to be a formidable tool, I remember when we first signed up many moons ago, I was just chuffed with it, but from last year the decline has been a sharp one, but as they say good things don't last forever

Anything to do with them now being owned by AutoTrader and chucked in as part of a 'package' (ie charged for, but the cost hidden) to everyone, irrespective?

• Like 1