Saz786

V5 issue for insurance company

Hi All, I’m new here and wanted some advice pls, I have a stock car which was hit from behind and now has been written off by the insurance company, 3rd party admitted fault, the insurance company have asked for all paper work which I have sent, but the V5 was not on my name due to filling out the trader part. They have asked me to prove the vehicle is mine? By contacting DVLA and requesting this information. Has anyone been through this? If so, is this normal? As when I called DVLA they have said I need to write in and they will check it is in trade and this could take up to another month (been 2 months already) 

Any help is appreciated......

Surely an invoice is the only proof they need.

The V5 only shows registered keepers, so even if it was in your name it doesn't prove you own a vehicle.

Usual is purchase invoice and bank statement showing transaction through your bank. Look at it from insurance company point of view, someone no insurance gets stuffed and tries to claim on his mates/brothers/uncles traders policy......

35 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Surely an invoice is the only proof they need.

The V5 only shows registered keepers, so even if it was in your name it doesn't prove you own a vehicle.

They have not requested this information? Only a letter from DVLA. 

36 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Provide your purchase invoice to the insurance company. Simple 

I will call them and find out if this acceptable. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, tradex said:

A letter from DVLA? DVLA do not provide ownership details of vehicles.

Maybe tell us the exact circumstances of the prang, to see if maybe something has been missed or confused somewhere?

Nothing more to add, I was hit From behind and the 3rd party admitted liability. I’ve spoken to DVLA and they have said I need to write in and request this information, which will only advise the car was on trade not even on my name. So still not sure if this will satisfy the insurance company’s needs. 

A letter from the Dvla will not prove ownership. Your purchase invoice shows you bought the car. 

9 minutes ago, tradex said:

A letter from DVLA? DVLA do not provide ownership details of vehicles.

Maybe tell us the exact circumstances of the prang, to see if maybe something has been missed or confused somewhere?

This is all very odd, you pay your insurance company to sort accidents out be they your or others fault, they then claim back off the third party.

or do you have third party road traffic act cover only?

All cover is in place, this is why I’m confused why this information is being requested, as all V5’s will not be on my name as being a trader. So not sure, if the information requested is actually right? 

11 minutes ago, tradex said:

Well it's good ('ish) that they have admitted fault, this is to mitigate their losses, get the claim over and done with quicker, and get you to file a 'I'm all sorted now' to lessen any later 'whip lash' 'loss of erectile function' claim ups.

I think you need to call the insurance company, as you could end up going around in circles here. The only proof of ownership I'm aware of in the UK for a vehicle is the buyers receipt, unless gifted I guess?

You have my sincere sympathies, I'd rather stick a 10mm Snap On spanner in my eyes than deal with insurance companiesB)

Be interesting to see the trade offer you receive as total loss settlement.

Thank you, calling the insurance company now. I’ll keep you guys posted once I get an update.