colacharlie

Which price guide is best?

15 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

Would anyone agree the AT algorithms is probably tweaked to give valuations dependent on location too? It'll know your location and it'll draw on prices in that area for similar vehicles for sale/days on sale.. I'm pretty sure they can get it to study any variety of data it is given.. Its knowing just how much data and what details AT capture.. that info is probably worth more than their business premises put together!!

Imagine if their computer knew a particular make/model was sticking in on region, the could boost sales (force-ably) by reducing the prices it gives in private/retail sales prices..

The AT data has to be worth a lot more than CAP/Glasses these days.. AT is driven by live / current data of whats on sale, being valued and being taken off sale (sold).. CAP and Glasses can only buy this data in..

Yes, but us knows nothing of true sale price. It’s fundamentally flawed. 

1 minute ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Yes, but us knows nothing of true sale price. It’s fundamentally flawed. 

Agree, Same would be the case for ebay then, as they never get to know the sale price unless its an auction....

Speaking of which, this means auction houses (BCA et el) sales price data would be forth a mint to us.. :o they already shift between different auction houses where they know they will fetch better money.. a batch from Northern Ireland came through today, ran out the door at at CAP clean ++ Jayzuz

Saw a mini at the block today, it sold for £5.7k with the tip, just had a look for later in the weekn and the same mini is now on a buy it now with BCA for £6k excluding fees.. These guys must be rigging it.... shock horror

3 hours ago, Dave2302 said:

You simply cannot say that, (for example), you are in London so a 2010 Range Rover will sell for x and the trade price is y so I'll make z profit .....................

.... and speaking as someone that lives in London. I don't necessarily think that I can automatically charge more for my cars and punters will pay that. They can shop around; and all over the country too. Even 'Billy Bunter' has now realised that cars are cheaper 'if' you are willing to travel further than the end of the road?

Just an idea, could the moderator of this forum perhaps make some of these threads a sticky?

This is one of the topics that is discussed every month with exactly the same answers. 

Just now, Stalker said:

Just an idea, could the moderator of this forum perhaps make some of these threads a sticky?

This is one of the topics that is discussed every month with exactly the same answers. 

Any idea where I can buy cheap trade cars guv?

Think the best thing i've done is use retail check through AT, costs about £100 per month. I aim to sell everything at good price or great price and our turnover has almost doubled. I mainly buy from BCA, before going to the sale, i go through the catalogue and track all the cars appeal to me, i then go through every car on retail check, make a note of it and take it with me to the sale. I will then work backwards to see how much we should be buying that car for. Last month i sold a Volvo V60  (bought off a private seller) and worked on Retail Check Price guide and wbac price as a guide (to buy), had a lovely return of £3000 profit. It gets better the px has about £2400 profit across it. 

20 minutes ago, A & S said:

Think the best thing i've done is use retail check through AT, costs about £100 per month. I aim to sell everything at good price or great price and our turnover has almost doubled. I mainly buy from BCA, before going to the sale, i go through the catalogue and track all the cars appeal to me, i then go through every car on retail check, make a note of it and take it with me to the sale. I will then work backwards to see how much we should be buying that car for. Last month i sold a Volvo V60  (bought off a private seller) and worked on Retail Check Price guide and wbac price as a guide (to buy), had a lovely return of £3000 profit. It gets better the px has about £2400 profit across it. 

Why pay for it when the punters get it free?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-valuation

It doesn’t give you desireability in your area but that’s bollocks anyway. As is good price/great price as it’s self fulfilling.

Car Gurus is much cheaper and gives that nonsense too if it appeals to you.

BCA give guide prices anyway  

Check the trade and retail price on the above free AT site and the free Hpi/cap one, go with your gut and buy what appeals to you.

Save yourself the £1200 a year wasted on that nonsense I say.

Search what’s advertised within 40miles at most and price accordingly.  If it’s something a bit speccy or different then it won’t just be your local buyers looking or rocking up to buy it as it’s a small country nowadays thanks to the internet.

Edited by NOACROSS
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

Why pay for it when the punters get it free?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-valuation

It doesn’t give you desireability in your area but that’s bollocks anyway. As is good price/great price as it’s self fulfilling.

Car Gurus is much cheaper and gives that nonsense too if it appeals to you.

BCA give guide prices anyway  

Check the trade and retail price on the above free AT site and the free Hpi/cap one, go with your gut and buy what appeals to you.

Save yourself the £1200 a year wasted on that nonsense I say.

Search what’s advertised within 40miles at most and price accordingly.  If it’s something a bit speccy or different then it won’t just be your local buyers looking or rocking up to buy it as it’s a small country nowadays thanks to the internet.

I have looked at this before, the Retail Check is more accurate tells you exactly where you are in the market with your car and also gives sensible trade in values. I've just put in the reg number for my Mercedes C250 done 56000 miles, the dealer price showed £9300 to £10300. That is no guide price to sell as it is telling me to sell anything from £9300 to £10300, with Retails check it tells you exactly where to be and what price position your car is. 

Also i know it may seem a load of rubbish and another money making method for AT, which is what i thought at first when i was approached by AT about Retail Check. Now I am using it for every car that is on our forecourt it has made a lot of difference to our sales figures, i used to sell 1 or 2 cars on average per week we are now selling 3, 4 and even 5 a week for the last 4 months. I aim to have good price flagged up on every car advertised on AT which then makes the buyer know that the car is fairly priced and gives them confidence . Definitely worth it for me as it pays for itself.  

We, at Cazana do a retail back, real time, valuations lookup service, optimised for mobile and tablet use for the Auction houses and part exchanges, and is getting fantastic feedback from dealers. 

Please get in touch if you would like a free trial :)

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/cazana-companion-launches-today-help-dealers-price-vehicles/149725

Edited by Kieran @ Cazana

6 hours ago, Kieran @ Cazana said:

We, at Cazana do a retail back, real time, valuations lookup service, optimised for mobile and tablet use for the Auction houses and part exchanges, and is getting fantastic feedback from dealers. 

Please get in touch if you would like a free trial :)

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/cazana-companion-launches-today-help-dealers-price-vehicles/149725

Heard a guy at the auction mention this the other week.

Can you explain how you work out your valuations please because he couldnt?

Thanks

Probably an “algorithm” which is marketing speak for “fucked if I know”

I should add I love cazana, their free history check is excellent! 

• Like 1

No need to hide behind "algorithms" :)

We use the market, cars currently and historically advertised to work our Live Retail, Live Trade (both deadlined every 24hrs), Gross profit corridor in £££'s & %, Average days to sell & Stocking depreciation.

No manual intervention, no editorial, just transparent market trends. 

Put simply, we know what the car should be selling retail for by looking at the rest of the market for that car/model/spec, then work back from that to work out acquisition cost etc.

Mobile and tablet friendly, so perfect for auctions and part x's on the go.

2 minutes ago, Kieran @ Cazana said:

No need to hide behind "algorithms" :)

We use the market, cars currently and historically advertised to work our Live Retail, Live Trade (both deadlined every 24hrs), Gross profit corridor in £££'s & %, Average days to sell & Stocking depreciation.

No manual intervention, no editorial, just transparent market trends. 

Put simply, we know what the car should be selling retail for by looking at the rest of the market for that car/model/spec, then work back from that to work out acquisition cost etc.

Mobile and tablet friendly, so perfect for auctions and part x's on the go.

Ok thanks that makes sense, when you say the market what exactly do you mean though please? Sorry to be a pain but as I would expect all of these valuation providers seem to be the most accurate etc.

Which sites do you harvest all that information from Kieran? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kieran @ Cazana said:

we know what the car should be selling retail for by looking at the rest of the market for that car/model/spec

/\ /\ /\ but surely that is a National Average, or does your "Algorithm" :P work on a region basis ??

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 11:21 PM, A & S said:

I have looked at this before, the Retail Check is more accurate tells you exactly where you are in the market with your car and also gives sensible trade in values. I've just put in the reg number for my Mercedes C250 done 56000 miles, the dealer price showed £9300 to £10300. That is no guide price to sell as it is telling me to sell anything from £9300 to £10300, with Retails check it tells you exactly where to be and what price position your car is. 

Also i know it may seem a load of rubbish and another money making method for AT, which is what i thought at first when i was approached by AT about Retail Check. Now I am using it for every car that is on our forecourt it has made a lot of difference to our sales figures, i used to sell 1 or 2 cars on average per week we are now selling 3, 4 and even 5 a week for the last 4 months. I aim to have good price flagged up on every car advertised on AT which then makes the buyer know that the car is fairly priced and gives them confidence . Definitely worth it for me as it pays for itself.  

Are you talking about Retail Check or iControl? Quite a big difference between the two IMO.

As for subscribing to guides, as I've said before, in the current market they are about as much use as a tax disc holder.

1 hour ago, sparky said:

Are you talking about Retail Check or iControl? Quite a big difference between the two IMO.

As for subscribing to guides, as I've said before, in the current market they are about as much use as a tax disc holder.

I am using Retail Check, was offered I Control by a rep who came round a few months ago, I said i will think about it.

Retail Check is working for me... :)

2 hours ago, EPV said:

Which sites do you harvest all that information from Kieran? 

2 hours ago, SuperLease said:

Ok thanks that makes sense, when you say the market what exactly do you mean though please? Sorry to be a pain but as I would expect all of these valuation providers seem to be the most accurate etc.

EPV - Whichever ones we are allowed to, just like google :)

Superlease - The market, as in the cars currently and historically being sold, what better way to work out the value of something, than look at what they are actually selling for/advertised for

2 hours ago, Dave2302 said:
3 minutes ago, tradex said:

"Gross profit corridor in £££'s & %" wtf IS THAT?:wacko:

The most important bit, how much you should make on the car in both £££ and a % of value, aka, your Gross profit 

3 minutes ago, Kieran @ Cazana said:

EPV - Whichever ones we are allowed to, just like google :)

Superlease - The market, as in the cars currently and historically being sold, what better way to work out the value of something, than look at what they are actually selling for/advertised for

The most important bit, how much you should make on the car in both £££ and a % of value, aka, your Gross profit 

Which ones are you not allowed to?

Kieran,

Ok I’ll ask another way. 

Do you combine the following sites;

Autotrader

Motors

Car Gurus

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tradex said:

You don't know what the cars are selling for, only what AT have them up for:D

We track the same vehicle across multiple sites so we see multiple prices (and price changes). Feel free to try out the tool for free at trade.cazana.com and see what you think of the values.

4 hours ago, EPV said:

Kieran,

Ok I’ll ask another way. 

Do you combine the following sites;

Autotrader

Motors

Car Gurus

We currently see around 650k cars on sale - we reckon there are a total (depending of seasonality) of 800k at any one time on the market so we have solid coverage of the retail market.

46 minutes ago, Kieran @ Cazana said:

We track the same vehicle across multiple sites so we see multiple prices (and price changes). Feel free to try out the tool for free at trade.cazana.com and see what you think of the values.

We currently see around 650k cars on sale - we reckon there are a total (depending of seasonality) of 800k at any one time on the market so we have solid coverage of the retail market.

The thing is a guide is just a guide. I'm for Retail Back, simply research comparative motors within 100 miles then work out your margin.  

1 hour ago, Kieran @ Cazana said:

Any particular reason you can’t answer my question? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kieran @ Cazana said:

Are you saying 600-800k unique vehicles in the market at any one time? That seems like a lot. The most I’ve ever seen on Autotrader is about 480k and there probably not all unique. Which sites are you getting all this data from then? Free trial or not I think these are fair questions as you’ll want paying at some point right?