Nick M.K.

Makes or Models you absolutely avoid buying for stock

Was the Cortina in 90 day blue? 

The Alpine is nice looking car, so was the bird, well until she got offed

clio megane 207 308 c4 c3 although partial to a c5 estate exclusive (good doers)

On 27/06/2018 at 9:49 AM, andymc1973 said:

everything, all cars are shit

Yup, anything can go pop.

I have a particular hatred of Vauxhall 6 speed gearboxes of a certain age. The only boxes that have ever gone wrong on me.

Just now, palomine motors said:

The only boxes that have ever gone wrong on me

Not bought any DSGs or Pug / Citroen semi-autos? Probably for the best.  

I stopped buying Renault Meganes, right after i bought a shit load of temic modules. Just play Jenga with the feckers now

19 hours ago, ik1980 said:

Was the Cortina in 90 day blue? 

The Alpine is nice looking car, so was the bird, well until she got offed

Yeah,Alf Roberts bird with the upmarket penthouse.......I have to tell you,in reality that penthouse was a top floor council flat in Gateshead !

4 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Absolutely anything Vauxhall I avoid - anything

good lad:lol:

6 hours ago, Mark101 said:

Absolutely anything Vauxhall I avoid - anything

I do now too. Not because of bad reliability (that too!) but because I've sold so many of the things over the years - I can't stand them. 

Back in 2009-2010 I was buying 2-3 year old very basic spec Astra Life 1.3 CDTI ex MoD cars from LEX in BCA Bedford. At 2-3 years old / 70-80K miles they were £2700-£3700 on the block and selling for £4500-£6K. They came with no reg numbers and needed registration with the DVLA as if it's a new car, logbook took weeks to arrive. Everyone else avoided them but they were quick sellers, always with new tyres and brakes, always fully serviced and almost always with a full tank of fuel. 

I had 5 sets of photos for each colour (they were all silver, blue and 50 shades of grey) and instead of a number plate I had a plate that said DIESEL (huge selling point only a few years ago). When everyone else was struggling for stock after the scrappage scheme I could buy 3-4 every week. The smell of that cloth interior makes me sick these days. 

7 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

I do now too. Not because of bad reliability (that too!) but because I've sold so many of the things over the years - I can't stand them. 

Back in 2009-2010 I was buying 2-3 year old very basic spec Astra Life 1.3 CDTI ex MoD cars from LEX in BCA Bedford. At 2-3 years old / 70-80K miles they were £2700-£3700 on the block and selling for £4500-£6K. They came with no reg numbers and needed registration with the DVLA as if it's a new car, logbook took weeks to arrive. Everyone else avoided them but they were quick sellers, always with new tyres and brakes, always fully serviced and almost always with a full tank of fuel. 

I had 5 sets of photos for each colour (they were all silver, blue and 50 shades of grey) and instead of a number plate I had a plate that said DIESEL (huge selling point only a few years ago). When everyone else was struggling for stock after the scrappage scheme I could buy 3-4 every week. The smell of that cloth interior makes me sick these days. 

Upto a point about 2/3 years ago all the MOD cars sold for a disproportionate discount.

Not any more!

3 hours ago, Nick M.K. said:

and almost always with a full tank of fuel. 

Ex military here Nick, it's common practice to refuel daily and keep tanks brimmed hence why they came thru like that

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

Ex military here Nick, it's common practice to refuel daily and keep tanks brimmed hence why they came thru like that

Yes, it did look like they fuelled them up, then the next day they loaded them onto the BCA transporter

• Like 1

15 hours ago, twerp said:

Upto a point about 2/3 years ago all the MOD cars sold for a disproportionate discount.

Not any more!

Indeed.

Astra Merit diesel estates in British racing pink where my favourites, where the only thing that needed to be done was to give the steering wheel a wobble. They used to be the first section at belle vue on a Tuesday, as soon as they moved it to commercial Wednesday the prices shot up and I lost interest in them.

On 30/06/2018 at 10:18 PM, tradex said:

Send them my wayB):D

Nice try. We all like to collect stuff 'just in case'..... The last issue I had new 'aftermarket' ones didn't work. Ended up getting the originals repaired and it worked out a little cheaper. Was a Megane CC though with all sort of one touch this, total closure nonesense. Swear I could the door cars off with eyes closed

On 25/06/2018 at 10:06 PM, Nick M.K. said:

Just looked at another forum thread about MINIs and how fragile they are and it got me thinking about Makes / Models I don't like to stock. 

I don't mind Minis but I wouldn't buy a Skoda or Renault for example and except MX5 I don't buy Mazdas. I know they sell ok but I never liked them. Oh and old Japanese 4x4s in the £500+ tax bracket...

The premise of the question is flawed in my opinion.  If we are to have the best possible chance at protecting margin, nothing should be off limits (unless you have a specific stock profile/strategy).  We need to monitor the live market and source and price in line with competitors. 

4 hours ago, Jagstang1469 said:

The premise of the question is flawed in my opinion.  If we are to have the best possible chance at protecting margin, nothing should be off limits (unless you have a specific stock profile/strategy).  We need to monitor the live market and source and price in line with competitors. 

Do you work for Autotrader ? Can’t find your franchised dealership as McClain autos.. it would be great to see your stock profile. 

You see, I bet you aren’t selling 12 year old 10+ year old monster mileage bangers, are you ? Because for a ROI the margins are huge....   

You see, the premise to you reply IMO is flawed...

17 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Do you work for Autotrader ? Can’t find your franchised dealership as McClain autos.. it would be great to see your stock profile. 

You see, I bet you aren’t selling 12 year old 10+ year old monster mileage bangers, are you ? Because for a ROI the margins are huge....   

You see, the premise to you reply IMO is flawed...

A much as I like AT and they have helped me significantly and still do, this chap does read like an AT masterclass. 

Monitor the live market and price in line with competitors is a sure fire race to the bottom. 

To be fair i think Jagstang’s comments will ring loud & clear with the pitch men who have a few staff & need turnover.

However as a one-man-band you are welcome to the monitoring of the live market (whatever that entails) & sourcing inline with competitors - no chance here!

Mention of MX5s (urghh!), Minis (an even bigger urghh) and as for the pitches stocking small cars (ARGHHHHHH) give me an orphan such as a big petrol Mazda 6 any day of the week. £3-400’s worth of car, an MOT, a few parts, a wash, a photo then wipe across with a grand margin - it’ll be gone within the week.

As is always the case in this industry it’s horses for courses. A friend on mine likes VWs to sell, (ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH) but wouldn’t touch most of my stock.

I only sell vans and minibuses at the moment, a few have said to avoid 'german cars'. I would of assumed they would be a best seller?

On 30/06/2018 at 5:24 PM, mrs maybe said:

good lad:lol:

Anything Vauxhall 

+1 been stung too many times

Edited by justlooking

On 17/07/2018 at 1:40 AM, Jagstang1469 said:

If we are to have the best possible chance at protecting margin, nothing should be off limits

If you have ANY chance to make money dealing in used cars certain models / engines / gearbox combinations should be absolutely off-limits. There should be cars that you just shouldn't look at. 

Just one of many many examples of a half-decent car, a good seller that you shouldn't have on your pitch: Nissan Navarra. 

17 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

If you have ANY chance to make money dealing in used cars certain models / engines / gearbox combinations should be absolutely off-limits. There should be cars that you just shouldn't look at. 

Just one of many many examples of a half-decent car, a good seller that you shouldn't have on your pitch: Nissan Navarra. 

Spot on. Loads of car's that are easy to sell but not good news as a retailer.

+1.

Any diesel Vauxhall should go in this category in my opinion. The 1.3’s reliability is pitiful, I’ve never seen a 1.7 that nowadays runs 100% (bring back the good old Isuzu!), and as for the 1.9/2.0, where do I begin?? 

Unlike many on here I’d like to wave a flag for Zafiras - I’m more than happy to take on a nice petrol one. Also they generally attract nice easy-to-deal-with buyers, not fussy etc.

I’ll also throw Shogun Sports into the ‘don’t touch’ category. Numerous failings, not helped with having a 35-40yr old engine under the bonnet. Ideal if you like to keep your mechanic busy and also wish to attract scum & big-talkers into your pitch.