Nick M.K.

Makes or Models you absolutely avoid buying for stock

Just looked at another forum thread about MINIs and how fragile they are and it got me thinking about Makes / Models I don't like to stock. 

I don't mind Minis but I wouldn't buy a Skoda or Renault for example and except MX5 I don't buy Mazdas. I know they sell ok but I never liked them. Oh and old Japanese 4x4s in the £500+ tax bracket...

18 minutes ago, Nick M.K. said:

Just looked at another forum thread about MINIs and how fragile they are and it got me thinking about Makes / Models I don't like to stock. 

I don't mind Minis but I wouldn't buy a Skoda or Renault for example and except MX5 I don't buy Mazdas. I know they sell ok but I never liked them. Oh and old Japanese 4x4s in the £500+ tax bracket...

I used to run an old Japanese 4x4 as a daily driver. It was unstoppable and racked up huge mileage. I think you'll find that guys that drive those old things would pay £2k tax a year and still not worry. My opinion of course (and what is the internet without opinions:D)

look at the windscreen can you see a sold sign hanging there if yes buy it if no move on                                                                                                                             dacia by the way is the new car of choice i noticed in spain but i guess they like value over badge snobbery

It’s always been ‘horses for courses’find your niche and run with it.Going back,I have sold stuff that most of the trade would steer clear from like Ladas and Rover 800s and  currently late big diesels are great value and the punters know that.However I am sure it is different elsewhere.

52 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

Peugeot 308’s. Been stung too many times.

Yes, pure shit but funnily enough 207s are far more palatable.

Until recently I avoided £500+ tax bracket cars but I’ve had a few recently and it hasn’t made a blind bit of difference - I think nowadays punters wanting a certain car have got their head around it as their only other option is get something they don’t want. Mind you I wouldn’t suggest buying 2.4 PT Cruiser Autos or an old Kia Sedona - I don’t think those buyers would stump up big tax money.

Anything German, unless it's powered by a French unit.

• Like 1

Anything Ferrari, Porsche, Bugatti, Lamborghini and VAG cars with the Auto gearbox. 

Funny you should mention mini's sometimes we all have sheep mentality I touch wood have never had a problem with a Mini the odd power steering pump but nothing else, now i am scared to buy them why ? because everyone else says there junk yet if you look at my warranty claims the Mini scores in the lowest percentage the highest being Pug 207 with that shocking 1.4engine (the same as the newer mini)

Then Polos with them dropping valves emissions nightmares for mot and lastly Corsa's I just cant seem to go a month without one popping a gasket of some sort. 

So my main avoid list from my own experience is

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2ltr engine 1.4 is fine

Any VW with a 3 cylinder engine (includes Seat and Skoda) 

Mini.....and i have no idea why sod it i am going to buy one today 

There are vehicles you buy knowing full well there 50/50 going to have faults Punto with a gear box or alternator for example, buy a Fiesta on line expect the seat clips to be broken and not mentioned thats £100 for the fronts but there still worth buying

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tradex said:

And France, they are everywhere......family friend in Norfolk says they are ggood news there too.

As for avoiding stuff, the usual German and LR gear.

Also, the jap stuff isn't what it used to be (what is) with regards Toyota engines and gearbox and Honda boxes. We used to sell a lot of Honda but getting dicey now, there is always some bollock busting problem with them and the parts prices would make Bill Gates weep.

We do mainly sell french gear and Renault give is less problems that PSA.

As a purveyor of many a CRV I’m wondering what problems do Hondas have? Funnily enough I’m getting an alternator reconditioned tomorrow but that’s the first I’ve ever needed in all of my years and apart from weak clutch springs on miley diesel Accords I find the Honda models I sell just about perfect with regards to unwanted surprises.

As for Toyotas, I certainly agree there. Ever looked underneath a 10 year Rav 4 or Aygo? You’d think they’d been driven over the sea bed rather than shipped over! Absolute horrible rotboxes - the undersides can look horrendous. The shitty diesel injectors on that 2.2 diesel aren’t great and the T180 likes a headgasket.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BHM said:

As a purveyor of many a CRV I’m wondering what problems do Hondas have? Funnily enough I’m getting an alternator reconditioned tomorrow but that’s the first I’ve ever needed in all of my years and apart from weak clutch springs on miley diesel Accords I find the Honda models I sell just about perfect with regards to unwanted surprises.

As for Toyotas, I certainly agree there. Ever looked underneath a 10 year Rav 4 or Aygo? You’d think they’d been driven over the sea bed rather than shipped over! Absolute horrible rotboxes - the undersides can look horrendous. The shitty diesel injectors on that 2.2 diesel aren’t great and the T180 likes a headgasket.

there used to be a ford dealer at seaham and i always seemed to buy a lot of px from them they were proper nasty rusty underneath,maybe you too have been buying coastal cars too,i would always avoid these if i can but obviously its difficult

8 hours ago, chief nut job said:

there used to be a ford dealer at seaham and i always seemed to buy a lot of px from them they were proper nasty rusty underneath,maybe you too have been buying coastal cars too,i would always avoid these if i can but obviously its difficult

I don’t buy Rav4s often cos everyone looks like a coastal car to me :lol:

Mini - oil leaks, chains, gearbox, engine lights

any diesel Vauxhall’s or petrol ones after 2010 (gearbox bearing after gearbox bearing)

207 petrol unless sub 25- head gasket and noisy gearbox 

Peugeot 308 petrol - possibly worst car in the world :)

1 hour ago, andymc1973 said:

everything, all cars are shit

How true!

World cups songs needed for the match against the Belgiques

11 hours ago, andymc1973 said:

everything, all cars are shit

Haha so true

207 1.4 petrol engine, the one that’s in minis and c3 Picasso’s.....nightmare 

Mini chain, 1.2 Vauxhall’s chain, Passat, 1.2 polo engine, focus 1.6 diesel, any diesel I sell I always have a feeling they will come back but the car I hate the most is and I’ve owned loads......Vw golf, nearly everyone has had the EML light on at some point, door locks break, air con has a mind of its own, rust around the arches, just crap German cars.

22 hours ago, chief nut job said:

Seaham Motor Company in ‘Get Carter ‘country,they used to sell shed loads of stuff....did they not go ‘tits up’.

24 minutes ago, trade vet said:

Seaham Motor Company in ‘Get Carter ‘country,they used to sell shed loads of stuff....did they not go ‘tits up’.

a big company in bad shape, for me its a full time job, now behave yourself :D

38 minutes ago, david gott said:

Haha so true

207 1.4 petrol engine, the one that’s in minis and c3 Picasso’s.....nightmare 

Mini chain, 1.2 Vauxhall’s chain, Passat, 1.2 polo engine, focus 1.6 diesel, any diesel I sell I always have a feeling they will come back but the car I hate the most is and I’ve owned loads......Vw golf, nearly everyone has had the EML light on at some point, door locks break, air con has a mind of its own, rust around the arches, just crap German cars.

Why just the Focus 1.6 diesel? You do realise that engine is fitted to about 20 other different makes and models. Mazda, Volvo, Peugeot, Citroen, Mini, BMW. 

Edited by Lakeside

36 minutes ago, trade vet said:

yes i went to the closing down sale to buy their recovery truck but it turned out to be a spec lifter i wanted a beaver tail type