Sign in to follow this  
Dealer

Parking Sensors On Older Vehicles

Ok, so I've got approx 3 vehicles (that I'm aware of) that have a parking sensor fault either intermittently or permanently. Now we don't deal in newer stuff generally and the cars I'm referring to are approx ten years plus or thereabouts. Do you guys tend to ensure every single thing is working (i have read the a/c thread previously which i appreciate is a similar scenario). Just curious how far others go with older cars and minor faults. 

I’d not advertise car with parking sensors and also make them aware and put it on invoice when they view/purchase

had to do it this week on a 2007 Picasso, the money isn’t there to start fixing them but we wouldn’t try and hide it,

it is what it is. May be harder if it’s prestige stuff though 

• Like 1

They are a very primitive system parking sensors, and can usually be diagnosed and repaired cheaply. If you can work out the faulty sensor then get the part numbers off the unit and search Ebay, most of the time they can be picked up for under £20.

12 minutes ago, Stalker said:

They are a very primitive system parking sensors, and can usually be diagnosed and repaired cheaply. If you can work out the faulty sensor then get the part numbers off the unit and search Ebay, most of the time they can be picked up for under £20.

Plus painting, plus fitting, plus charges for code reads to work out which one is playing up........not to mention the faulty ones purchased or wrong ones sent by suppliers etc

If the car is generally very good, fully serviced up etc, I tell them the sensors are there but aren't working. If the car is lacking in other aspects, then it's worth getting the sensors sorted to give the car a bit of a bonus

I would repair the parking sensors, but then I make sure my cars go out right (unless it’s a cheap part ex banger)

Quite often you can diagnose a faulty parking sensor by listening for a ‘clicking’ sound, if it’s not clicking it’s not working.

Or by putting your hand near each sensor.

Sometimes it’s not that easy to diagnose, but if the car has parking sensors fitted, then IMO they should be working.

If you haven’t got the money in the car to rectify it, then you’re not buying right.

Just my humble opinion.

These things are the bane of my life, they seem to be failing on every car I pick up. Luckily my regular garage will diagnose and replace faulty ones cheaply. In some cases, I replace the lot for about £100. I rarely paint them in that instance. 

7 hours ago, Dealer said:

Ok, so I've got approx 3 vehicles (that I'm aware of) that have a parking sensor fault either intermittently or permanently. Now we don't deal in newer stuff generally and the cars I'm referring to are approx ten years plus or thereabouts. Do you guys tend to ensure every single thing is working (i have read the a/c thread previously which i appreciate is a similar scenario). Just curious how far others go with older cars and minor faults. 

I’ve never repaired a parking sensor fault, your selling older vehicles just sell it with it. IMO 

Depends on the car value vs. customer expectations.  Sold a £2,500 - 207 CC (PX) with fault remaining = customer couldn't care less.  Got a £6000 - 66k Tiguan with FSH, faulty sensors = I will fix

51 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Depends on the car value vs. customer expectations.  Sold a £2,500 - 207 CC (PX) with fault remaining = customer couldn't care less.  Got a £6000 - 66k Tiguan with FSH, faulty sensors = I will fix

Exactly where I am on this :)

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I’ve never repaired a parking sensor fault, your selling older vehicles just sell it with it. IMO 

+1.

10 hours ago, Dealer said:

Plus painting, plus fitting, plus charges for code reads to work out which one is playing up........not to mention the faulty ones purchased or wrong ones sent by suppliers etc

Jees, you must be an eternal pessemist.

Should they be colour coded, we may invest in a touch up pen or painting (sometimes you can swap the cap).

As OCS said, working ones emit a clicking sound. Any workshop that cannot reliably diagnose and repair a parking sensor fault should pack in and do something else.

Faulty ones? Crikey... .I have never had a faulty new sensor... should i get a faulty one i would defo send it back and get a replacement.

Depends on the customer/car. If the sensor is beeping but not working properly, that will irritate most people, so I would repair that. If its stopped working altogether, and its a little car where its unlikely to be an issue maybe I'd leave it. Not an issue I've had come up much (cue the screamers ) but then I sell lots of Small cars. Theyre too busy wondering if its got an aux in point and whinging about Insurance to worry about anything else.....

3 hours ago, Matt Reid said:

Depends on the customer/car. If the sensor is beeping but not working properly, that will irritate most people, so I would repair that. 

I’d cut the wire to the buzzer.

Never try this on a Discovery, or Land Rovers in General for that matter, unless you want to be driven insane with frustration.

Thankfully you can rely on the quality of most vehicles enough just to replace a faulty sensor. Not Discoveries.

Just had a Discovery 3 in, Fault Codes inner right rear, front left. Great, two new sensors ordered. Fitted, now the faults have moved :(

More sensors ordered to replace the lot. No Fault codes, not working. :angry:

Replace front wiring loom, replace rear loom. Not working. At this point could be control module or greater wiring issue.

Solution = Pull fuse, inform customer, who didn't mind. remember to avoid Land Rovers ....

A sizeable number of people don’t have confidence with parking sensors & a number of others are just confused by them! 

I’ve never had an issue with a punter over defective sensors, although my stock is rarely about £4000.