Sign in to follow this  
It's me

mot sheets

absolutely pathetic

it looks like a 5 year olds best effort

why make something simple look so bad

Agreed.

Much more confusing for Joe Public, not to mention, visually, harder to read.

I can’t understand the need for change.

No idea on the change of certificate but the change to the test is just anotherblatant move from the government to get yet more older cars off the road.

Any smoke of any colour emitted from a diesel is now a fail. Come on we all know most diesels will puff out a bit of smoke under acceleration, especially older ones.

Also now any “major” fault will result in the tester confiscating your keys as you won’t legally be allowed to drive it away? Again, this will be such an inconvenience to most general public they would probably just ring the scrap man to come and collect it.

Edited by Lakeside

How can a tester take your keys, what will the thousands of purely MOT stations do that solely just MOT?

In reality, they can't - it is your property.  Only the police or VOSA themselves can seize or confiscate a vehicle.

Absolute nonsense - my MOT garage wouldn't have space for failed cars in any case as only has parking for around 15 cars including those in for service work.

Edited by Mark101

20 minutes ago, MSP Motors said:

How can a tester take your keys, what will the thousands of purely MOT stations do that solely just MOT?

Well technically they can’t but we all know the “Kwik-fit” type garages will scare customers into having work done there by telling them they will phone the police if the customer attempts to drive the car away. 

Seen it before at a VW main dealer a few years back, obviously before the new mot rules. I was there doing some sub contract work and overheard the service adviser telling a customer their car had illegal tyres and that by law they wasn’t allowed to let them drive the car away until they had the tyres replaced.

12 hours ago, Lakeside said:

Any smoke of any colour emitted from a diesel is now a fail. Come on we all know most diesels will puff out a bit of smoke under acceleration, especially older ones.

Also now any “major” fault will result in the tester confiscating your keys as you won’t legally be allowed to drive it away? Again, this will be such an inconvenience to most general public they would probably just ring the scrap man to come and collect it.

Oh so wrong!!!!!

If the vehicle has, or should have a particulate filter fitted, and it emits smoke, then that is a fail!

As for the other remark about the tester confiscating your keys, you obviously don't under stand how the MOT system works

The certificates look a mess - at least the old certificate was clearly laid out & everything neatly written in their own boxes.

3 hours ago, Cornish Guy said:

Oh so wrong!!!!!

If the vehicle has, or should have a particulate filter fitted, and it emits smoke, then that is a fail!

As for the other remark about the tester confiscating your keys, you obviously don't under stand how the MOT system works

It was tongue in cheek but never mind, obviously goes over some peoples heads.

Edited by Lakeside

3 hours ago, Cornish Guy said:

Don't quote me but I am sure this only applies to 2014 and newer anyway?

• Like 1

What ever the ins and outs as always its ten steps backwards, i thought when they added the mileage the mot certificates that was a good move, then they decide to remove cat c d listings off a log book the most bizarre move ever, since then the changes and certificates have followed the same retarded theme. 

I bought a highlighter. 99p fix to show the word PASS in green. Not a fan of the layout but it does make the advisories look less severe IMO...lots of jumbled up text on a white sheet instead of a list of pitted not weakened discs and gaiters preventing ingress of dirt works for me.

I wonder how long before they don't even bother giving you a 'print out' of the MOT certificate?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, justina3 said:

What ever the ins and outs as always its ten steps backwards, i thought when they added the mileage the mot certificates that was a good move, then they decide to remove cat c d listings off a log book the most bizarre move ever, since then the changes and certificates have followed the same retarded theme. 

cat c 

cat d 

no longer

its structual damage, and its on the first page 

Wonder if they will still add the entry, unable to inspect part of engine due protective panel/under car protection... the above would be humorous if it wasnt such an important aspect of any vehicles history... and then due to GDPR all previous owners are to be hidden too along with past service invoices that contain their details....

Makes you wonder how trading standards will be able to investigate anything.. .

1 hour ago, met said:

I wonder how long before they don't even bother giving you a 'print out' of the MOT certificate?

I've seen a local kawasaki dealer offering "service usb sticks" instead of paper ones, had a chat with the guy in there and said all modern bikes are starting to do that, but you can only view the service history in a dealership with the tech to do it. 

Could be paving the way for all motor related documents to become available online, at least it means the second hand market will have fewer "no service history" cars!

I don’t think your average independent garage will be uploading to a USB stick for a while yet.

12 hours ago, met said:

This. It'll all be online only. Can't see the need for a 'certificate' now tbh.

• Like 1

I was at the MOT station today & there was their external auditor who sort of liaises between them & Vosa (I think a sort of glorified filing clerk who no longer gets his hands dirty & dots the ‘i’s & crosses the ‘t’s on their paperwork).

Anyhow, at the moment the official line is that failures should not be allowed on the road & the keys should be kept until the repair is authorised or the car IS TRAILERED AWAY!! However it’s seen as unworkable due to issues over MOT inspectors confiscating cars owned by third parties (I think it may be called theft??).

I suspect the official line may change & I’m sure the independent guys will deal with this in a sympathetic manner but I imagine main dealers will make hay - they must be rubbing their hands with glee at the opportunity for profit here.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

I was at the MOT station today & there was their external auditor who sort of liaises between them & Vosa (I think a sort of glorified filing clerk who no longer gets his hands dirty & dots the ‘i’s & crosses the ‘t’s on their paperwork).

Anyhow, at the moment the official line is that failures should not be allowed on the road & the keys should be kept until the repair is authorised or the car IS TRAILERED AWAY!! However it’s seen as unworkable due to issues over MOT inspectors confiscating cars owned by third parties (I think it may be called theft??).

I suspect the official line may change & I’m sure the independent guys will deal with this in a sympathetic manner but I imagine main dealers will make hay - they must be rubbing their hands with glee at the opportunity for profit here.

It's an interesting position. If the main dealer finds a dangerous fault and refuses to hand the keys back the 'punter' kicks off shouting theft and calls the Police. Police will hand him the keys back and then tell him if he drives on "bald tyres" they'll have him?

59 minutes ago, tradex said:

:D

...but it's sorta been like this since MOT's....car is failed, you drive home with a car that isn't roadworthy....never really thought about it like this though:huh:

I suppose your right to the keys is trumped by you not having the 'right' to use the road. Driving is not a right but a privelege.

But its an interesting position all the same.