Vic

Adise needed for a private sale

I think we have as much right as anyone else to sell cars privately as seen.

But I think there are a few conditions to this. It's got to be registered to you, not an "In Trade" Car. And not that you have, but knowingly selling a faulty car whether private or trade Is likely to cause issues.

And definitely apply good practice, sell it from home, not a forecourt, and definitely don't mention your a trader, else your just asking for trouble, and they will assume your doing one over on them.

Punters assume we're doing them over normally, never mind if they sniff that your a trader making money off them masquerading as a private seller.

But I've done it myself. We had a mint 2007 ML come in as a px last year. A few electrical issues (Panoramic Sunroof not opening), and passenger heated seat not working. No biggie on an 11 year old car, but you know if we sold it to a punter who doesn't understand that 11 year old cars aren't like new cars that we'd have problems so I bought it off the company save it going to auction. Ran it myself for 10 months, and fancied a change so sold it privately, disclosed faults on add. I don't see any issue with it. 

2 hours ago, FHP11 said:

I think we have as much right as anyone else to sell cars privately as seen.

But I think there are a few conditions to this. It's got to be registered to you, not an "In Trade" Car. And not that you have, but knowingly selling a faulty car whether private or trade Is likely to cause issues.

And definitely apply good practice, sell it from home, not a forecourt, and definitely don't mention your a trader, else your just asking for trouble, and they will assume your doing one over on them.

Punters assume we're doing them over normally, never mind if they sniff that your a trader making money off them masquerading as a private seller.

But I've done it myself. We had a mint 2007 ML come in as a px last year. A few electrical issues (Panoramic Sunroof not opening), and passenger heated seat not working. No biggie on an 11 year old car, but you know if we sold it to a punter who doesn't understand that 11 year old cars aren't like new cars that we'd have problems so I bought it off the company save it going to auction. Ran it myself for 10 months, and fancied a change so sold it privately, disclosed faults on add. I don't see any issue with it. 

ditto, I don't see it as a big deal, just be upfront and list faults and the status as a 'private sale' with no warranty and there's owt much else you can do.

Agree you shouldn't have told him you're a trader, but you have explicitly stated it's a private sale and he's signed a receipt that states exactly that, then there's the fact that it's a £500 smoker with 175k on the clock, he's a chancer who's trying it on, absolute tw**.

That said, for £500 less 25/40p per mile usage deducted, just give him his £200 refund and tell him to do one, then sell again on eBay or just scrap the bloody thing. Done.

Sounds like a cheeky twat wanting you offer him a full refund. I bet the old car’s running fine. Tbh I wouldn’t be wasting much of my time over a £500 banger - phone him up & tell him to f.o.

On 02/05/2018 at 8:37 PM, NOACROSS said:

£500?!

Wow. What a w***er!

A) Demand he returns it for inspection at a garage of your choice.

B ) Give him his money back (minus 25p a mile) . Not worth thinking about-you’re not likely to do a head gasket. Put it up for spares or repair auction; or let him do his worse I say!

Wow, i was thinking along the lines of "your a trader and cant get away with it if it's not in your name", until the revelation that it's basically a scrapper, so in light of this, offer a full refund, less mileage at 50 pence per mile travelled (as approved by trading standards in our area) and he will need to get it back to you. State that as it's at the end of it's life, you won't entertain a repair, only a refund under these terms. End of... (p.s. mileage to and from home = £150 plus anything else he has travelled)

31 minutes ago, Trident said:

Wow, i was thinking along the lines of "your a trader and cant get away with it if it's not in your name", until the revelation that it's basically a scrapper, so in light of this, offer a full refund, less mileage at 50 pence per mile travelled (as approved by trading standards in our area) and he will need to get it back to you. State that as it's at the end of it's life, you won't entertain a repair, only a refund under these terms. End of... (p.s. mileage to and from home = £150 plus anything else he has travelled)

Hi Trident, do you have anything from TS confirming 50ppm. It would be very useful to have written confirmation....

6 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Hi Trident, do you have anything from TS confirming 50ppm. It would be very useful to have written confirmation....

each trading standards area makes its own rules

tread carefully

to be honest if it was a concern to me i would make it part of my contract

i quite clearly tell all my customers no log books get updated to dvla until at least 7 days have passed in case they think the car is a pile of poo some laugh but ive yet to have one returned

i saw it written that you cant charge mileage for the first month under the cra

1 minute ago, chief runnin bee said:

each trading standards area makes its own rules

tread carefully

to be honest if it was a concern to me i would make it part of my contract

i quite clearly tell all my customers no log books get updated to dvla until at least 7 days have passed in case they think the car is a pile of poo some laugh but ive yet to have one returned

i saw it written that you cant charge mileage for the first month under the cra

Nope it was from a conversation, but tbh, we have a good relationship and i would trust him to stand by that if i ever needed him to, he would speak directly with the customer if I asked.  I very vaguely (convo back in Oct '15) recollect him referencing a government site stating 40ppm was their preferred figure and therefore 50ppm is not unreasonable..The point here is that 50ppm is a very reasonable charge, the customer would have to take you to court to challenge it and for what, that it is an extortionate charge?  a court would be unlikely to agree that if you have already offered a 'full' refund.  All seems very fair to me.  Value for  money car hire i would say!!!!

22 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I suspect he was thinking of something like this...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-travel-mileage-and-fuel-allowances/travel-mileage-and-fuel-rates-and-allowances

my experience of this "pence per mile" idea was not thought of as a suitable compensation route at all by a client, in fact it quite upset them :lol:

quote from there claim = " i am not prepared nor legally obliged to accept your proposal ":)

50p per mile deduction... The average driver does 12,000 miles a year, he's had the car 5 weeks. You get were I'm  going, that would be an interesting conversation :)) 

This pence per mile discussion keeps quoting ever higher rates - we’ve gone from 25p, soon up to 40p & now 50p. Do we all REALLY think such rates are applicable to a £500 heap? I don’t, IF a mileage rate applies surely it has to be representative of the vehicle, or perhaps a flat rate of £25 per week.

I prefer the straight route rather than playing the smart-arse. My way would be a phone call telling him it’s his car, he’s not getting anything so “do your best, son!”. If it escalates I’d have to think about it but putting the customer straight on an old banger will put 99.9% of cases to bed.

God knows how some of you get such hassles. One of my sales this week was a £600 p/x cheapie Peugeot (nice car actually!). The man was told face to face “it seems fine, take it out, see what you think but do not expect any sort of warranty, it’s pushbike money”. My customer says he understood that. However if you’ve a customer who, at this point, starts umming & ahhhhing then your viewing MUST be terminated IMMEDIATELY. You then take their money & do not confuse the banger customer with a receipt - handing over a receipt to a man buying a banger makes them think they’ve got some sort of comeback.

Nothing is absolutely foolproof but I’ve only ever had one man back on a banger. A £300 Mazda that was back within 4 or 5 minutes “cos my ex-wife doesn’t like it” :blink:  He’d viewed it earlier, I didn’t realise it wasn’t for him - he came with his ex direct from the Vauxhall dealership after handing back her 7 month old car due to not being able to afford the payments! (You couldn’t make this shit up). I was trapped in the middle of a marriage break-up - I felt like an extra in Kramer v. Kramer.

9 hours ago, BHM said:

Nothing is absolutely foolproof but I’ve only ever had one man back on a banger. A £300 Mazda that was back within 4 or 5 minutes “cos my ex-wife doesn’t like it” :blink:  He’d viewed it earlier, I didn’t realise it wasn’t for him - he came with his ex direct from the Vauxhall dealership after handing back her 7 month old car due to not being able to afford the payments! (You couldn’t make this shit up). I was trapped in the middle of a marriage break-up - I felt like an extra in Kramer v. Kramer.

At least you didn't have to call the Police because they started hitting one another!:D

My ex wife has had an interesting experience with running her car through the block. After a long term battle with cancer she has had to give up driving and decided to stick her car through as a quick painless way to get the cash out of it. A '16 plate Clio she's owned from new. Auction house told her 'no bids' and that they've had one offer £1k under her reserve. Also, they refused to re enter the car through another sale?

To say I'm surprised is an understatement. Especially considering it's a genuine straight car and how much money 'shitters' are making?

Very very odd. It doesn’t sound right, especially the part about refusing a re-entry. I’m assuming her reserve isn’t £1K above book.

5 minutes ago, BHM said:

Very very odd. It doesn’t sound right, especially the part about refusing a re-entry. I’m assuming her reserve isn’t £1K above book.

It's interesting to see how 'privates' are treated. I can't understand why they would not want to keep running it through bearing in mind it's sort of how they earn their money?

PS: This is why I do NOT get involved in cars with family/friends!

Edited by met

If the auction is BCA or Manheim the only plausible explanation would be they want the billies to use their purchasing arm WBAC or similar, they want the public to sell directly to themame so they can control the market and resell to us..... Devious.

Manheim Bristol do not have a private line.....

1 hour ago, Arfur Dealy said:

If the auction is BCA or Manheim the only plausible explanation would be they want the billies to use their purchasing arm WBAC or similar, they want the public to sell directly to themame so they can control the market and resell to us..... Devious.

Manheim Bristol do not have a private line.....

The reserve was set up the auction house, and the offer was about £1k under. They have refused to re enter it as they say they are full to bursting and if she does wants to re enter she has to physically remove it from the auction premises and bring it back again at some point? They have refused to put it through more than one 'physical' sale? Wierd?

It's not my sort of thing but a 16 plate petrol clio should make its money, shouldn't it?

14 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Whats the auction house ?

Not a million miles from Bedford. She's had it picked up today so its off the system.