Sign in to follow this  
Ocsltd

When something seems to good to be true.....

I'm probably just being paranoid here, but when something almost seems to good to be true, alarm bells start ringing, or perhaps I'm just cynical....??

Just had a phone call on a 5 series BMW, chap asks if it's still for sale, it is, so he says that's he setting off from Birmingham, do we do internet banking because basically he's coming to take it away. Apparently he went to look at another one but it sold before he got there. 

So I send him my postcode and confirm that the funds will need to be showing as cleared in my account before I'll release the car, obviously.

I dig out the paperwork and realise the mot expires on 8th May, we'll happily put a new mot on the car, but can't do that today. So I ring the customer back expecting him be disappointed, but he just says "looking at the condition I can't see it being much of a problem...". He's right, and on the face of it, this all seems a normal deal, but all just seems too easy....

I'm almost suspicious, should I be?

Or am I just looking a gift horse in the mouth? My instinct is just saying it all seems a bit odd, people aren't normally happy to take a car with just over a weeks mot....

P.S The title should say too, not to.

The only problem I see here is you are potentially selling a car to someone that may need things doing. Unless of course you’ve done a pdi. 

As for being suspicious, believe it or not there are people out there who just want to buy a car and not fuck around. Especially if he was close to buying one before but lost it, he’s probably eager to make sure he gets this one. I think we get so many “just looking” types it seems alien when you find someone who just wants to actually buy a fucking car. 

I hate selling a car (of any value) without doing a new no-advisory MOT, service and PDi (at an independant garage) before handover -as you're leaving yourself open to not being completely 'belt and braces' with regards to being able to prove it doesn't have a fault at point of sale.

However, if the customer insisted and he signed the invoice with an annotation where you state you've offered a new mot but the customer declined & get him to sign a point of sale customer satisfaction form, then I guess you've done about all you can.

Another point is: my Mrs works for a bank and tells me lots of horror stories: one is that she reckons bank transfers can be recalled before the end of day, but it's unusual.  Can he not pay by chip & pin?

Do you use your own warranties or bought ones?

A faster internet payment can be cancelled that is made our of banking hours up until 9am on Monday from memory.

And it can show as "in and cleared" on your account for Monday until cancelled :(

Of course this would amount to fraud and theft, now no customer would do that surely?

Yeah I agree, would much rather put a new mot on it myself.

We use our own in house warranties.

I thought once a BACS payment was made that was it, as in it’s the safest method of payment?

3 minutes ago, NOACROSS said:

I hate selling a car (of any value) without doing a new no-advisory MOT, service and PDi (at an independant garage) before handover -as you're leaving yourself open to not being completely 'belt and braces' with regards to being able to prove it doesn't have a fault at point of sale.

However, if the customer insisted and he signed the invoice with an annotation where you state you've offered a new mot but the customer declined & get him to sign a point of sale customer satisfaction form, then I guess you've done about all you can.

Another point is: my Mrs works for a bank and tells me lots of horror stories: one is that she reckons bank transfers can be recalled before the end of day, but it's unusual.  Can he not pay by chip & pin?

Do you use your own warranties or bought ones?

You could explain all this to mr customer and be open and honest with him. Perhaps if your margins allow, get the car delivered for him if he pays full whack and leaves a cash deposit with bank transfer for the rest? You can then get the car a ticket and pdi done and get him to sign and return a scanned copy. 

Like everyone you want a sale and life shouldn’t be this fucking hard but in a world where arse covering is mandatory you have to look out for number one. If he likes the car and you can agree terms where you deliver it for him and he’s serious he should be happy to meet you in the middle. 

I used to have third party warranties but now I run my own or in other words, stand by my obligations under the cra. 

If they're out of the area, I will put a paid warranty on, or if it's anything german or something hefty/complicated, I will also do this for them- although I've occasionally had to step in and contribute to keep a punter happy. I also do this if I get 'that' feeling about the customer.

This has saved me a fair few headaches over the years, particularly if an auto box lets go.

Perhaps I should take payment by debit card then, there's a reason he's suggested payment by bank transfer...

Definitely.  It's much safer and shouldn't bother the customer I'd have thought.

how can you work your profit margin out if you haven't put a fresh mot on it?

on another note ive just been checking mot histories and what i know was an advisory is now showing on the dvsa website as in red and showing as dangerous 

1 minute ago, NOACROSS said:

Definitely.  It's much safer and shouldn't bother the customer I'd have thought.

Ok, I've just sent him a text message explaining (as he's driving), so we'll see what happens. If he's genuine he'll pay by debit card. Or, he'll turn up and kick off, or try and 'charm' his way into paying by bank transfer. Or I won't see him!! :D

It really shouldn't be this hard should it....

5 minutes ago, chief runnin bee said:

how can you work your profit margin out if you haven't put a fresh mot on it?

on another note ive just been checking mot histories and what i know was an advisory is now showing on the dvsa website as in red and showing as dangerous 

We've checked it over and and it should fly through an mot.....

But yeah, take your point.

I'd suggest debit card, even though its going to cost a few quid. He isnt far from you, so how about booking him in for an MOT with your garage next week? Then you are in control of avoiding any kwik fit advisory issues!!

Just now, Matt Reid said:

I'd suggest debit card, even though its going to cost a few quid. He isnt far from you, so how about booking him in for an MOT with your garage next week? Then you are in control of avoiding any kwik fit advisory issues!!

Good point, but he's over 50 miles away, so can't see him being too willing to bring it back for an mot. I've not had a reply from last message to him and still no sign of him, so it's not looking too good. (Unless he was going to try and scam me, in which case I've dodged a bullet!!)

Can’t a debit or credit card transaction be taken back? 

What in earth’s all this whinging about a customer wanting to transfer money!?!!! I’ve never read such rubbish & anyone who thinks selling via a credit card is foolproof is deluding themselves.

If you want to worry yourself to death just think the next punter might be a crazed axe murdered who slaughters you on the test drive. Better stop trading then! 

Come on guys, get real! You’re all over-thinking this.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

as soon as I heard Birmingham.....

Hahaha, I missed that. I take back all I wrote if it’s one of its finest citizens.

24 minutes ago, BHM said:

What in earth’s all this whinging about a customer wanting to transfer money!?!!! I’ve never read such rubbish & anyone who thinks selling via a credit card is foolproof is deluding themselves.

If you want to worry yourself to death just think the next punter might be a crazed axe murdered who slaughters you on the test drive. Better stop trading then! 

Come on guys, get real! You’re all over-thinking this.

I know what you're saying, and to be honest I'd rather confront an axe murderer than have some cheeky low life scumbag try and screw me out of my hard earned on the sly....

Sadly, this day and age there are too many scamming, chancers out there and you can't trust anybody.

He's been, paid in full, by debit card, and gone. I can now sleep easier tonight, until the inevitable phone call, but I'll deal with that if and when it happens.

20 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

as soon as I heard Birmingham.....

Hence my caution! :ph34r::D

Should the shit hit the fan, I've got plenty of money in the car.

learn from this, a car with 11 months mot sells just as well as 12 month mot, i have, and if they mumble if its 10 months mot, then simply retest it you know its done no miles, be in control for the want it today people, and bear in mind if your advertising a car with full mot , and it hasnt, then not only are you misleading, but if trading standards walk on with dvsa inspector ................................;)

15 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

Birmingham........

Even the chaps Dad, who is Birmingham born and bred said how horrible it was!!!

Just now, Ocsltd said:

Even the chaps Dad, who is Birmingham born and bred said how horrible it was!!!

Birmingham that is, not the car! :lol:

So did the car sell? Did he recall his payment? Rob the house? R@pe the family cat? What happened??? 

58 minutes ago, MGM said:

So did the car sell? Did he recall his payment? Rob the house? R@pe the family cat? What happened??? 

See my previous posts.... ;)

2 hours ago, Ocsltd said:

See my previous posts.... ;)

Teach me to read properly!!!