FAAAAAAAMLEEE

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

FAAAAAAAMLEEE

"not on my manner"

"I don't believe I'm hearing this"

"Where's my money!"

Edited by met
  • Like 1

Ideal pitch.......25 car open site,....located on a long established street of car dealers ( some amazing characters )......stock supplied direct from main dealers closebye who would almost beg you to buy them.( £5 bung per car) ......Prep..DIY on the street ( cars were simple to repair ) or you could outsource big jobs,MOTs and paintwork next door ( night shift paintshop /shed,).....typical mark ups were 70%,......selling 10 per week was normal,....typical warranty - one month mech parts only ( come backs were few ),.....VAT 7.5%,.....advertising spend - zero,.....pitch rent £60,rates £10,......loads of HP commission-few deals rejected ( people rarely defaulted)......,perks -( no plastic cards) you always got the punters to pay you cash for their road tax and you would get suppliers to leave unexpired  tax discs on which you would cash in and pocket.....I have forgot a lot more.....Sorry guys,I am not dreaming,that was our first pitch......we later sold it on for a lot of money,past glories but since then we have had one or two set backs and also had bad pitches aswell.  

My ideal pitch would be BCA, charge retail money, constant supply, don't need to prep them and virtually zero comebacks, closed at weekends........

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ocsltd said:

My ideal pitch would be BCA, charge retail money, constant supply, don't need to prep them and virtually zero comebacks, closed at weekends........

Lol - I wish

My first proper pitch was similar to trade vet:

£100 week + minimal rates

25 cars

Very little advertising - Ebay + website

In a line of 4 other much larger dealerships - their huge adverts pulled customers down the road (one way dual carriageway, so had to drive past me and my cars appeared so much cheaper, because they were) - sold more by passing trade than any advert.

That same pitch would be £350 week now (it's now a KFC) and the internet has reduced the passing trade.

Having said all that, I would still like a small pitch, with small (double garage sized) unit and ramp for prep but at the moment I cannot justify the additional overheads.

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

Nice one.....I doubt they have few comebacks,I would not be surprised if they have several hundred per day.Also,they have net debt of £260m to service .....however they are doing really well.

This set up: 

They buy cars : http://www.thecarbuyingshop.com/

They then sell cars with the false premise of a trade auction so no warranty :  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=192484914837&hash=item2cd0feb695%3Ag%3ADVsAAOSwaadask4Q&_ssn=fehrbrothersltd&_sop=16

'Bidding will commence upon the arrival of more than one buyer. If there is only one buyer, the vehicle can be paid for and bought on the spot. 

Warranty
All standard auction terms apply. No Warranty, No Guarantees. Sold as seen. EACH PURCHASE IS SUBJECT TO A £39 BUYERS PREMIUM'

38 minutes ago, twerp said:

Warranty

All standard auction terms apply. No Warranty, No Guarantees. Sold as seen. ................

Is it really that easy to sidestep your responsibilities as a trade seller. I'm not sure if that would stand up under scrutiny from TS?

1 hour ago, twerp said:

This set up: 

They buy cars : http://www.thecarbuyingshop.com/

They then sell cars with the false premise of a trade auction so no warranty :  https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?item=192484914837&hash=item2cd0feb695%3Ag%3ADVsAAOSwaadask4Q&_ssn=fehrbrothersltd&_sop=16

'Bidding will commence upon the arrival of more than one buyer. If there is only one buyer, the vehicle can be paid for and bought on the spot. 

Warranty
All standard auction terms apply. No Warranty, No Guarantees. Sold as seen. EACH PURCHASE IS SUBJECT TO A £39 BUYERS PREMIUM'

whatever they are doing they have been able to continually trade since 2011...so somebody is turning a blind eye to the overall set up.

1 hour ago, Linctrader said:

whatever they are doing they have been able to continually trade since 2011...so somebody is turning a blind eye to the overall set up.

They have been retailing under several different iterations but the same location.

They even had their own sale at BCA last year

Done very well over the past 3 years.

But as I understand it, selling by Ebay auction or not still doesn't sidestep your responsibilites as 'trade'.

We need to go 'definitive', where's lawjaw?:D

16 hours ago, met said:

But as I understand it, selling by Ebay auction or not still doesn't sidestep your responsibilites as 'trade'.

Correct but if it’s all there in black & white my attitude is they’re playing fair. Too much worrying about CRA etc.

20 hours ago, twerp said:

They have been retailing under several different iterations but the same location.

They even had their own sale at BCA last year

Done very well over the past 3 years.

If you are talking about the company Fehrbrothers trading as The Car Buying Shop....doing well.Nice website but I am unsure about the company,maybe I am mistaken.

Can't imagine they are a pleasure to deal with. However, none of us like the greedy customers who are likely to go to them. Its not right that someone can sidestep their responsibilities, but they make it absolutely clear what their terms of business are. If youre  brave (or stupid) enough to buy from them, you deserve everything you get.

On 4/29/2018 at 4:17 PM, trade vet said:

If you are talking about the company Fehrbrothers trading as The Car Buying Shop....doing well.Nice website but I am unsure about the company,maybe I am mistaken.

If they are pushing boundaries without complaints then to be fair well done, they are doing something right.  My confusion is are they are claiming on the website to be of Dutch origin and a Dutch Auction Company.... Companies House states they are Car Dealers not a registered Auction Company... 

15 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

If they are pushing boundaries without complaints then to be fair well done, they are doing something right.  My confusion is are they are claiming on the website to be of Dutch origin and a Dutch Auction Company.... Companies House states they are Car Dealers not a registered Auction Company... 

The plot thickens!

It's fascinating really as we could all adopt this business model and take our chances. If we are being upfront about our terms as they are then who could claim that they have been hood winked? Let's face it, the screamers will yap regardless but overall we would be better off and most probably less stressed!

I like to see these type of businesses as they are going against the grain to make their business work for them. Afterall, we are in business for our families benefit not everyone elses.

Sterling cars in reading are another business doing it differently and making it work over the years (albeit with several name changes - cars with no reserve I think was another name) although they must put fortunes through bca to make any margin across what they sell to make it work.

Plus these be the guys who mostly do pictures of 'their stock' in the line ups outside the sale lol...

Each to their own. Yes they MAY be contravening the CRA and you can’t legally defend that BUT it’s all there in black & white so MORALLY where’s the problem? 

I’m pig sick of hearing the trade shitting themselves about bending over backwards for greedy chancers. F*** them, any greedy sods who are ripped off by purchasing from shysters get zero sympathy from me.

Good luck to anyone trying something outside of the box as long as you are being open & honest.

15 minutes ago, BHM said:

so MORALLY where’s the problem? 

the law doesnt see morality

it see the law

thats why i pay my taxes so the law enforcers get paid to do their jobs

its like employing illegals you are not running on a level field

12 minutes ago, BHM said:

Each to their own. Yes they MAY be contravening the CRA and you can’t legally defend that BUT it’s all there in black & white so MORALLY where’s the problem? 

I’m pig sick of hearing the trade shitting themselves about bending over backwards for greedy chancers. F*** them, any greedy sods who are ripped off by purchasing from shysters get zero sympathy from me.

Good luck to anyone trying something outside of the box as long as you are being open & honest.

I have to agree with you bhm, life is hard enough without the constant worry that someone will be back demanding a refund within 30 days. We just lost 2k on a different business platform simply because the buyer changed their mind to suit themselves and the escrow service holding the money sided with them without even waiting for us to respond within the timeframe they gave us. Life is to easy to cheat at for too many people these days - chancers used to be the few, now I would say they are the majority. Always wanting something for nothing, wanting the best for peanuts and making the transaction a pain to be involved with. 

I get frustrated because I'm too long in the tooth and these constant restrictions imposed on us all but to which only a few of us abide by are unfair.

This harks of the phrase my parents chanted at me as a child: 'would you put your hand in the fire just because someone else did?' Quite honestly, my answer today would more than likely be yes. If they can do it (and I use 'they' loosely as there are many at this), then why am I killing myself with stress just to earn a crust for my family?

I can understand more and more why so many in society do not fear authority or the threat of prison, infact they see it as an occupational hazard. 

P.s...can you tell I've had enough bulls--- lately to last a lifetime lol.

2 hours ago, chief runnin bee said:

the law doesnt see morality

I know, my point exactly but I guess you disagree with that particular business’s practices whereas I see it as being upfront & above board.

My point of view is based on the fact money’s tight so if punters want cheap then that’s fine but they should accept some of the risks clearly associated with a cheap deal. To my mind it is morally unjust for a seller to be held liable when openly telling customers no comebacks etc. Times are a changing & ‘rough practices’ may be the way to go, plenty are at it now (I see bangers being pulled out of auction, MOTed with a pass & on sale later the same day) & I’m prepping cars, putting in hundreds of pounds of repairs but the greedy public only see one thing - the bottom line.

2 hours ago, Linctrader said:

P.s...can you tell I've had enough bulls--- lately to last a lifetime lol.

Haha, yes.

Well, another day in Max Brannings 'Maximum Motors' dealership. Flicked through a copy of AT and washed the cars with a sponge bought in the local shop:D