Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Plastidip

Anyone had any experience with this product? I'm going to pimp up some Megane Coupe wheels so thought I'd pick your brains before I potentially throw a oner down the dain. Ta.

Thanks.

Different names I guess. https://www.plastidip.co.uk/

It looks easy to use and as we know, anything in this game that saves time. My only concern on wheels would be it's longevity. 

I’m assuming here you’re working to a tight budget, otherwise you’d be getting them refurbed professionally.

If that’s the case the best v. cost was to remove the wheels, give them a jet wash, 1 tin of Halfords body shop grey primer then 2 tins of Halfords wheel paint. I opted to use the grey as the inevitable pock marks of a poorly prepped wheel were better hidden.

If you’re looking for anywhere near perfection don’t bother with this, but if you just want a uniform colour & something to take the eye away from wheels that are an eyesore then this worked for me last month (used out of desperation but when needs must!)

8 minutes ago, BHM said:

I’m assuming here you’re working to a tight budget, otherwise you’d be getting them refurbed professionally.

If that’s the case the best v. cost was to remove the wheels, give them a jet wash, 1 tin of Halfords body shop grey primer then 2 tins of Halfords wheel paint. I opted to use the grey as the inevitable pock marks of a poorly prepped wheel were better hidden.

If you’re looking for anywhere near perfection don’t bother with this, but if you just want a uniform colour & something to take the eye away from wheels that are an eyesore then this worked for me last month (used out of desperation but when needs must!)

+ 1

Top job = powder coat

Budget job = can of silver aerosol, doesn't need much prep for a relatively tidy finish on a cheapie

1 hour ago, BHM said:

To a degree. There are no decent 'trade' refurbers around these parts that are any good, certainly not any mobile ones.  To get them done professionally would cost too much in both time and money. To be honest they are not that bad but it's a 5k world series in white so I'd like to change the colours from silver to black so was thinking of trying plastidip and if it looks like it's been done by Ray Charles simply peel it all away.

We use it for colour changes of wheels and its fairly easy to do, and if you make a mistake just peel it off. Use proper platidip though and not the cheaper versions as we've tried some and it can be a nightmare. Like anything like this its all in the perpetration and it won't cover gouges so sand them away or it makes them stand out even more and use there thinners. When you 1st apply it will look awful and you'll be thinking what have you do but let it dry and it all kind of settles, also if you can get the wheels off the car and do it on a flat surface its easier. We buy it from here www.matt-pack.co.uk

some wheels and a grille we did ourselves......

11.jpg

22.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BHM said:

Spooky, I use the same primer but black, then Simonize black gloss, you don’t even need to take the wheels off or mask the tyres, when it’s dried just jet wash the paint off the tyres.... I know.... I’m really lazy :lol:

2 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Spooky, I use the same primer but black, then Simonize black gloss, you don’t even need to take the wheels off or mask the tyres, when it’s dried just jet wash the paint off the tyres.... I know.... I’m really lazy :lol:

F*** me, you lazy bar-steward, you’re worse than me! :lol:

You will struggle to beat spray out cards for masking up a tyre, takes about 30 seconds a wheel. If you insist on using tape and paper give they tyre a quick squirt with an aerosol adhesive and even if they are slicked the tape will stick better and the glue come off with the tape.

I'm looking for something to tart up a black plastic bumper on a Qashqai, quite why any manufacturer insists on having anything other than colour coded bumpers is beyond me, it looks shite. Anyway, I was thinking along the line of a rubber paint type thing, will this gear do the job do we think?

I suspect the finish would stand out a mile. If you’re going to the trouble of painting full bumpers even a cheapskate like me would take it to a painter.

35 minutes ago, BHM said:

I suspect the finish would stand out a mile. If you’re going to the trouble of painting full bumpers even a cheapskate like me would take it to a painter.

I may have given the wrong impression here, I want something a bit more robust than bumper and trim restorer, so I wondered whether a rubberised paint might be the answer, or, this Plastidip gear.

My painter said he couldn't do anything with it. I'm not sure whether you can spray plastic bumpers with regular paint, won't it just eventually crack and flake?

28 minutes ago, EPV said:

I may have given the wrong impression here, I want something a bit more robust than bumper and trim restorer, so I wondered whether a rubberised paint might be the answer, or, this Plastidip gear.

My painter said he couldn't do anything with it. I'm not sure whether you can spray plastic bumpers with regular paint, won't it just eventually crack and flake?

Just painted the osr quarter plastic faded bumper on my Qashqai - used matt black aerosol and it looks mint, you'd never know.  Trust me.

2 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

Just painted the osr quarter plastic faded bumper on my Qashqai - used matt black aerosol and it looks mint, you'd never know.  Trust me.

*LIKE*