Sign in to follow this  
justina3

windscreen chips

Talk about coming in 3's 09 Punto just turned up with a chip right in front of the drivers view, anyone found a product that works other than forking out for a new screen for one small chip.

There’s definitely some products out there that will do the job. Basically the same stuff that a windscreen repair firm will use. Resin pressured into the chip, goes off, scraped/cut off excess when hard. 

.... as above but, all depends on how long the chips been there and whether there's any dirt in it.

Although, even if you choose to pay for a smart repair guy to do it, you may hear the same excuse?

30 minutes ago, EPV said:

There’s definitely some products out there that will do the job. Basically the same stuff that a windscreen repair firm will use. Resin pressured into the chip, goes off, scraped/cut off excess when hard. 

Inspect, clean, dryout, decide to drill or not, decide to pop a bullseye or not, set bridge and injector up correctly, pressure, vacuum, flex as required, cure under pressure or not, put fill avoiding air bubbles, scrape, polish and clean. All the time blocking any unwanted first or indirect uv.

Been repairing windscreen properly, training people properly for the past 30 years and selling repair equipment for the last 10. The only Brit to win the industries too award in the USA despite the fact I have never been there.

If when finished the repairs looks anything other than a dried raindrop and this should not be noticeable from 4foot away you have had a poor repair, not surprising as we guess 95% of windscreen repairs carried out are of poor quality.

I could write for hours on this subject, and if anyone want to know more just ask away.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Screenman said:

Inspect, clean, dryout, decide to drill or not, decide to pop a bullseye or not, set bridge and injector up correctly, pressure, vacuum, flex as required, cure under pressure or not, put fill avoiding air bubbles, scrape, polish and clean. All the time blocking any unwanted first or indirect uv.

Been repairing windscreen properly, training people properly for the past 30 years and selling repair equipment for the last 10. The only Brit to win the industries too award in the USA despite the fact I have never been there.

If when finished the repairs looks anything other than a dried raindrop and this should not be noticeable from 4foot away you have had a poor repair, not surprising as we guess 95% of windscreen repairs carried out are of poor quality.

I could write for hours on this subject, and if anyone want to know more just ask away.

Sorry to say that my experience of having chip repairs done has been pretty bad. Whenever the guy turns up and looks at it there's much teeth sucking and "I'll do what I can but....." stuff. The only time I've seen a really good repair done is on the adverts?

26 minutes ago, Screenman said:

I have a q, screenman. I’ve just bought a fiat 500. It looks like at some point the car lost its drivers side wiper but the owner continued to use the wipers anyway. Now there’s a full length arc of scratching. Can it be repaired or do I just bite the bullet and get a new screen? TIA.

1 hour ago, Screenman said:

if you ever fancy a day trip to sunny south wales i would be more than happy to buy you an ice cream to teach me how to repair the bloody things, seems insane we can change engines fix almost anything electrical but a stone chip in the windscreen stumps us.

47 minutes ago, met said:

Sorry to say that my experience of having chip repairs done has been pretty bad. Whenever the guy turns up and looks at it there's much teeth sucking and "I'll do what I can but....." stuff. The only time I've seen a really good repair done is on the adverts?

That is the shame of our industry, most repair guys including the big named companies have no skills and very limited kits. One large kit supply company asked me to rewrite their training manual 10 years ago, we disagreed on a very important basic part of training before I walked out of the door and that was the end of that. Can I suggest the best repair guys are not doing repairs for £25.

47 minutes ago, drivewaycarsales said:

I have a q, screenman. I’ve just bought a fiat 500. It looks like at some point the car lost its drivers side wiper but the owner continued to use the wipers anyway. Now there’s a full length arc of scratching. Can it be repaired or do I just bite the bullet and get a new screen? TIA.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail the it will not come out without causing distortion,I would suggest a new screen.

11 minutes ago, justina3 said:

if you ever fancy a day trip to sunny south wales i would be more than happy to buy you an ice cream to teach me how to repair the bloody things, seems insane we can change engines fix almost anything electrical but a stone chip in the windscreen stumps us.

I have had people here from all over the world, north Wales and I may have taken you up on the offer.

Edited by Screenman
  • Like 1

The last screen I had done was £140 fitted by National Windscreens, trade obviously. It took him over an hour, how can they be making money.....

22 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

The last screen I had done was £140 fitted by National Windscreens, trade obviously. It took him over an hour, how can they be making money.....

I've just been quoted £120 on this one!

1 minute ago, drivewaycarsales said:

I've just been quoted £120 on this one!

When new screens are that cheap, no wonder there's no point in repairing.

33 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Some glass can be bought by them from as low as £25, what screen was it. Nationals are right down the bottom on prices, you may get some indies go lower.  

9 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

When new screens are that cheap, no wonder there's no point in repairing.

Maybe £80 in your pocket is better than in a replacement companies pocket. I would suggest that most of you may not have seena quality repair every time, the repair guy will trot out some work and some do not, blow those one's out as they do not have a clue.

Whilst I do agree some screens are that cheap, many are going way up the scale, even more so with sensors and camera's.

Wow

2 minutes ago, Screenman said:

Some glass can be bought by them from as low as £25, what screen was it. Nationals are right down the bottom on prices, you may get some indies go lower.  

I just wanted a new MOT :)  no idea what type of screen.

• Like 1

No reason not to repair in the A Zone, despite what the replacement guys will tell you.

Maybe I should have said what vehicle was the screen for.

2 hours ago, Screenman said:

That is the shame of our industry, most repair guys including the big named companies have no skills and very limited kits. One large kit supply company asked me to rewrite their training manual 10 years ago, we disagreed on a very important basic part of training before I walked out of the door and that was the end of that. Can I suggest the best repair guys are not doing repairs for £25.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail the it will not come out without causing distortion,I would suggest a new screen.

I have had people here from all over the world, north Wales and I may have taken you up on the offer.

North Wales you say ;)

12 minutes ago, sparky said:

North Wales you say ;)

Quite often get over to Shrewsbury, maybe back there later in the year.

3 minutes ago, Screenman said:

Quite often get over to Shrewsbury, maybe back there later in the year.

Shrewsbury? Wash your mouth out with soap and water :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drivewaycarsales said:

...must be a 500 thing because about a third of the ones we get in have arced screen scratches.

Nationals are so bloody cheap they undercut all the local indies round our way. Plus they turn up on time, don't drop the new screen on the floor just before fitting, don't try and smoke on site and are really pleasant chaps all round. I love National Windscreens.

• Like 2

My last experience was when my 'smoker' Shogun needed a chip for MOT. My MOT guy is actually next door to a large screen company so I'm in there next day. Surprise to say they made a mess of it. I could have done a better job with superglue and a razor blade. Suffice to say we haggled on price and the MOT guy put his blindfold on:lol:

We tried to polish a windscreen last month with a kit from rejel on eBay.... it made a right mess of the screen.

Its as a fiat 500, it’s no wonder the punters don’t change their wipers on time, they are bloody expensive for the fiat 500 from Euro.

• Like 1

i use an indy

my motto is use him or lose him

he does a proper job,never ever had a problem

and hes good on prices,i dont get him to do bullseyes though

its a closed shop trying to purchase windscreens trade,they wouldnt deal last time i enquired

19 hours ago, chief runnin bee said:

its a closed shop trying to purchase windscreens trade,they wouldnt deal last time i enquired

Yes, again, "everyones Trade"

Don't bother calling them, you need to talk face-to-face and show/prove you are 'genuine', not just a chancer out for a discount.

59 minutes ago, met said:

Yes, again, "everyones Trade"

Don't bother calling them, you need to talk face-to-face and show/prove you are 'genuine', not just a chancer out for a discount.

.....otherwise you’re no better than those private punter bullshitters who phone us wanting a trade deal. :lol:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BHM said:

.....otherwise you’re no better than those private punter bullshitters who phone us wanting a trade deal. :lol:

I know. The problem isn't so much 'traders' masquerading as 'private' but 'private' masquerading as 'trade'