Sign in to follow this  
Car Nation

Customer wants to return the car in a week time

Hello Respected members. This forum is very helpful for car dealers. Thank you all for contributing

We recently sold Mercedes E320 to a customer last week. The customer wants to return the car as he says he can smell some smoke in air vents however we offered him repair but he's persistent to return. We have also issued a 6 months warranty cover from warranty wise.

Dear valuable members, Please advise return procedure and any allowable deductions which can be taken into consideration such as warranty cover, mileage.

Your advice will be highly appreciated

Kindest Regards,

Sam

What paperwork went with the car in terms of receipt and pdi?

Sounds like buyers remorse to me, that is a fairly lumpy car and as such not bought lightly, in other words bought only by a handful of punters. In that respect 99% of buyers in that category would be happy with the offer of a fix but he wants a return = Buyers remorse 

Receipt only, unfortunately, no PDI please advise a good PDI template pad if known.

Yes, you are correct EPV. Can I charge for warranty issued by warranty provider and mileage covered?

Thank you 

Buyer realises how thirsty his new purchase is and wants to get out of it. 

15 minutes ago, andymc1973 said:

not if he's had it a week, it needs inspecting

Thank you for your advice

8 minutes ago, MrC said:

Buyer realises how thirsty his new purchase is and wants to get out of it. 

Thank you for your advice

7 minutes ago, tradex said:

Is it petrol or diesel and and how old?

and what model type

Its Diesel and about 12 years old

are you sure he hasn't purchased it for free car hire for a week

ie what mileage has he done

has he got it on the mid is it showing as taxed etc

you would be wanting to give it a proper inspection if you decide to give him a full refund as he might have even had things like gearboxes swapped over

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Car Nation said:

Receipt only, unfortunately, no PDI please advise a good PDI template pad if known.

Yes, you are correct EPV. Can I charge for warranty issued by warranty provider and mileage covered?

Thank you 

You’ve left yourself to be shot at a little bit here as you can’t prove the fault didn’t exist at the point of sale. 

That said, i’d still push back on this bloke. 

“I can smell smoke through the vents” isn’t a fault. He might be that type that can smell something no one else in the room can. “Can anyone smell gas? No? Must be just me then” etc

I wouldn’t be ready to refund this bloke just yet. Offer up an inspection, diagnoses and repair if applicable. If he wants to reject the car end of, he’ll have to do a bit better than “I can smell smoke”

Is there any smoke from the engine? In the cabin? 

Sounds like buyers remorse and why should you have to pay for his lack of foresight. 

Different story if the gearbox went, that a fault. Smelling smoke, that ain’t isn’t necessarily a fault with the car it could be a fault with the punter! 

Without completing a new Mot and a signed PDI stating clearly the car must be returned for a “statutory” repair or rejection, you have left yourself completely vulnerable. He doesn’t even need to return it to you. You have no proof the fault wasn’t there at all the point of sale and you have no defence. 

Since the CRA 2015 it is absolutely essential to cover yourself with a new MOT and get a signed PDI with the correct terms. 

It might well be buyer remorse or age related wear n tear, but without you completing the correct pre-sales checks you don’t have a leg to stand on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Car Nation said:

Thank you 

Any terms and conditions on the receipt ? 

21 minutes ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Without completing a new Mot and a signed PDI stating clearly the car must be returned for a “statutory” repair or rejection, you have left yourself completely vulnerable. He doesn’t even need to return it to you. You have no proof the fault wasn’t there at all the point of sale and you have no defence. 

Since the CRA 2015 it is absolutely essential to cover yourself with a new MOT and get a signed PDI with the correct terms. 

It might well be buyer remorse or age related wear n tear, but without you completing the correct pre-sales checks you don’t have a leg to stand on. 

Finding the defendant guilty,in his summing up,Judge Arfur Dealy said.......

• Like 1

Playing devils advocate, could the smoke in the cabin be leaking injector(s), something Merc diesels of that era are well known for?

If it were me, id get it back in sharpish before it causes more issues.

Google mercedes diesel black death.

1 hour ago, justina3 said:

Any terms and conditions on the receipt ? 

Probably not even a invoice stock number :ph34r:

1 hour ago, trade vet said:

you put the claimant to great suffering, the smoke was so bad the claimant is now on patches, therefore, you will hang by the neck until you are dead :lol:

9 hours ago, trade vet said:

LIKE :ph34r:

14 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Like +1

Seriously, are we nearly 3 years on from this legislation being introduced and still stumbling across 'dealers' who are clueless as to their responsibilities in law? As Judge Dealy says, with the evidence you have presented, you have no defence. It sounds like you've sold a car without any kind of prep or thought as to required paperwork, taken the money happily and now seemingly want to swerve around your legal obligations because it might have a fault.

Sorry if I've misread it, but, speaking on behalf of those who spend time, money and effort doing it right, don't be upset if you get little sympathy on here.

Can he smell cigarette smoke? Or Exhaust fumes?

The first one is not your problem, the latter, will need addressing.

3 hours ago, Stalker said:

Can he smell cigarette smoke? Or Exhaust fumes?

The first one is not your problem, the latter, will need addressing.

I wondered the exact same thing

Personally I wouldn't be having it back unless its got something seriously wrong with it, its 12 years old FFS. As others have said, get the thing in a workshop and see whats wrong with it before offering a refund.

• Like 1

I always feel like there's more to these stories because I don't think this is a tough one. Whenever we get a problem like this it's explained relatively simply "if we're going to discuss the option of a refund first we need to establish there's a problem. I can't do that unless I'm given the car"

At that point, nine times out of ten, it's a simple fix and we call them back saying "it's ready, all sorted, pretty simple really it was just...".

In this case if you can't find a problem get the car MOT'd, you can at least show some post-sale diligence and ensure it's safe. A carbon monoxide meter in the cabin would be a good idea too.

No disrespect but I dunno why people get their knickers in a twist over this stuff. Law or not there's a common sense way of working when there's an issue.

4 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

I always feel like there's more to these stories because I don't think this is a tough one. Whenever we get a problem like this it's explained relatively simply "if we're going to discuss the option of a refund first we need to establish there's a problem. I can't do that unless I'm given the car"

At that point, nine times out of ten, it's a simple fix and we call them back saying "it's ready, all sorted, pretty simple really it was just...".

In this case if you can't find a problem get the car MOT'd, you can at least show some post-sale diligence and ensure it's safe. A carbon monoxide meter in the cabin would be a good idea too.

No disrespect but I dunno why people get their knickers in a twist over this stuff. Law or not there's a common sense way of working when there's an issue.

Not sure anyone is getting their knickers In a twist mate, the OP said he’s offered a repair but the customer has said he wants a refund. 

11 minutes ago, Mojo121 said:

The problem here is the OP hasn't done any checks prior to selling the car. That is totally irresponsible in my book, if you are going to do this job do it right, because those who don't give us all a very bad name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Autolink100 said:

Personally I wouldn't be having it back unless its got something seriously wrong with it, its 12 years old FFS. As others have said, get the thing in a workshop and see whats wrong with it before offering a refund.

I'm fed up of these messers that expect a new car for used car money. The likelihood is that the price he's paid is around 10% of what the equivalent new model would cost. What's his expectations of a 12 year old car for God's sake.