Grantlfc81

autotrader PAYG price increase

just went to sell a car. Has there been a price increase? the price has gone up from £47 + VAT to £62.95 + VAT - car value is £5500

they got to be kidding right?

58 minutes ago, Grantlfc81 said:

just went to sell a car. Has there been a price increase? the price has gone up from £47 + VAT to £62.95 + VAT - car value is £5500

they got to be kidding right?

That's what I paid for the last one - for the top ad (21 days, extra images and images within search)

I served my notice on these guys today. I know the discussion has been had to death on these forums, however, they charge 10 times their competitors and I don't feel like I am getting value for money. Maybe I will regret it, But I won't know until I try. They have changed so many features for the worst and I have had it. ebay/motors/facebook/cargurus for me

Good stuff & I agree completely with your reasons. 

We did this nearly two years ago and the world didn't end- as I've said numerous times (I mustn't comment too much or we'll start up the Autotrader Discussion War again). Especially when you consider how many sold units go to paying them!

We just use the same as you will be, but plus Exchange & Mart too and the odd local press full page advert.

You do have to be clever and 'work' your adverts/listings and ensure you give it a fighting chance, especially ebay Motors Pro, with lots of pictures, good sub-headings and enable 'Best Offer'.  Also, make sure your SEM is good so you factor well on a google search, and we use the excellent Click Dealer for this.

It is quiet out there at the moment, and these quiet months really hurt when you have a giant AT bill to pay.  When you're flying it doesn't hurt so much.

I agree, I just can not get my head around paying x10 for a product that I am not getting amazing results for. I sold 4 cars over the weekend 3 from motors and 1 from ebay. The 3 from motors had not been reduced as I had not got round to this, so ended up having £2000 more than had I sold on AutoTrader. the fact is I think the product they have is not x10 better than motors/ebay, nor does it give me anything like a x10 return.......so why do I pay.  We shall see, I will see what its like over 3 months, if I generate no sales I guess I can always reinstate my account.......

• Like 1

Absolutely & best of luck.  'Build it and they will come' ;0)

I'd give it much longer than three months though.  It's quiet times anyway.  I wasn't sure I'd done the right thing until a could compare one year with another- I can now say I definitely have.

Autotrader has had the trade by the neck for years online. 

Bring back the old magazine days!

It's fine with a handful of cars but the monthly schemes are still very expensive. Guess they know that if you want to buy or sell you are likely to go to Autotrader. 

In case you had forgotten, here is their page telling us just how great they are https://trade.autotrader.co.uk/why-advertise-with-auto-trader/ 

It's fine with a handful of cars but the monthly schemes are still very expensive. Guess they know that if you want to buy or sell you are likely to go to Autotrader. 

In case you had forgotten, here is their page telling us just how great they are https://trade.autotrader.co.uk/why-advertise-with-auto-trader/ 

On 4/12/2018 at 11:42 AM, MSP Motors said:

I agree, I just can not get my head around paying x10 for a product that I am not getting amazing results for. I sold 4 cars over the weekend 3 from motors and 1 from ebay. The 3 from motors had not been reduced as I had not got round to this, so ended up having £2000 more than had I sold on AutoTrader. the fact is I think the product they have is not x10 better than motors/ebay, nor does it give me anything like a x10 return.......so why do I pay.  We shall see, I will see what its like over 3 months, if I generate no sales I guess I can always reinstate my account.......

Keep up updated about how you are getting on :) Best of luck

I refuse to pay their extortionate prices too and have survived for 6 years on eBay only.

Another alternative is (If your website is good enough) you could try advertising using Google AdWords as well. They usto offer a free code for 75 quid ads.

I *very almost* advertised a 2012 Honda Jazz on AT yesterday - It's static on eBay Classifieds and Marketplace - not a sniff.

The £62.95 was the reminder that the last "priced low" car on there attracted one call from a man a long way from Leicester wanting a "best price" due to distance... 

£62.95 saved.

On 4/12/2018 at 11:33 AM, NOACROSS said:

Good stuff & I agree completely with your reasons. 

We did this nearly two years ago and the world didn't end- as I've said numerous times (I mustn't comment too much or we'll start up the Autotrader Discussion War again). Especially when you consider how many sold units go to paying them!

We just use the same as you will be, but plus Exchange & Mart too and the odd local press full page advert.

You do have to be clever and 'work' your adverts/listings and ensure you give it a fighting chance, especially ebay Motors Pro, with lots of pictures, good sub-headings and enable 'Best Offer'.  Also, make sure your SEM is good so you factor well on a google search, and we use the excellent Click Dealer for this.

It is quiet out there at the moment, and these quiet months really hurt when you have a giant AT bill to pay.  When you're flying it doesn't hurt so much.

Doesn't AT give a free few months every year??