Not sure if everyone is aware of this situation, I know that consumers get the protection when they are buying or paying for goods on their credit cars #section75

That's why I always use my credit card ,what I didn't realise is that even if a 'small ' portion has been paid on credit card on a vehicle the consumer has full rights ! how frightening is that ?

http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/read-news/748

Most of the deposits I take are on credit card, balance on debit card , now that small deposit of £250 gives them so much rights ! just think we all need to be aware , we all get the odd nutter who likes to take advantage of the situation.

Learning everyday !

• Like 1

Now this is something I did know, however we do levy a charge for Credit Card transaction when buying a car which puts most people off! But yes some very scary rights given to the person paying by credit card!

GreenGiant

"So, if you do agree to take a deposit by credit card, make sure the card belongs to someone other than the actual purchaser of the vehicle! "

Now that's asking for trouble too :) 

Card Payment : Had a customer couple of weeks ago wanting to buy a £20k car, wanting to pay by debit card over the phone and pick the car next morning , I said I’ll take £250- deposit – rest must be bank transfer! He went on to explain he’s not near a computer / internet access etc, not done bank transfers etc etc. I said the only way the car would be released would be with a bank transfer or debit card when he’s here. He went on to explain because he works odd hours was hoping if he couldn’t make it then his mate would pick it up , hence wanting to pay over the phone.
I clearly told him that was not going to happen, he said I’ll talk to bank and call you back!
Still waiting but from the outset – I knew it was a scam, stolen card!. Just got to be so careful out there!

I did have my tongue in my cheek when I typed that.

It's almost getting to the point where we have to assume everyone is out to scam us, unless they can prove otherwise.

How sad is that?

We hold a car nicked by use of a nicked credit card, fellow actually came to site , and rang his dad who paid for car over phone, card machine was all new to us then, a lesson learnt as they say .

Any way long story short, 3 weeks later the card people took the money out of our account and we had no car either, did get car back via the police , but it took nearly a year.

And get this , rang our insurance when it all hit the fan and they said they would not pay out cause it was theft by trickery lol,... Surely theft is theft..

Most we take over phone now is £200 for deposits

We try and talk em out of using cards to pay balance the 3% charge normal,does it.

I don't take payments over the phone only by direct bank transfer. I know a few who have been stung by stolen cards!

I was stung with a stolen credit card. Bye bye Audi TT.

But the buyer was so nice and so genuine. He didn't even negotiate the price ! Thought I was in with a winner! :lol:

... the only thing you can do is laugh at yourself and learn never to make the mistake again. What else can you do? If I cried I would have drowned in a pool of my own tears.

• Like 1

Depending on the nature of your business, we can certainly support you in taking card payments. We let small businesses take card payments using only your smartphone without having to drag along any physical card reader equipment or hardware. We even offer team plans for up to 15 people! 30 day free trial for anyone to try, and if you have any questions feel free to reply here and I'll get back to you asap. You can see it for yourself at https://smarttradeapp.com 

On 26/11/2014 at 11:13 AM, GreenGiant said:

It's almost getting to the point where we have to assume everyone is out to scam us, unless they can prove otherwise.

How sad is that?

Arrived at that point some while ago, if their not scamming, their scheming... so, best approach is assume the worst and feel elated when a sale happens and the money a/ stays in your bank account b/ is a sale with a profit!!!!

Bloody hell, there's nowt like resurrecting an old post :lol:

Anyhow, as a small operation I've never bothered with a card machine (cash is still king here) but on two occasions I've produced an invoice via PayPal which allows the buyer to pay by card (I told them to add 4%) as it appears on their statements as a purchase NOT a cash withdrawal so they could benefit from a card purchase interest-free deal.

1 hour ago, BHM said:

Bloody hell, there's nowt like resurrecting an old post :lol:

Anyhow, as a small operation I've never bothered with a card machine (cash is still king here) but on two occasions I've produced an invoice via PayPal which allows the buyer to pay by card (I told them to add 4%) as it appears on their statements as a purchase NOT a cash withdrawal so they could benefit from a card purchase interest-free deal.

I think taking card payments more than pays for itself in the long haul.

I have had many situations where people have test driven and then had a little hum and har and then just looked at the wife and said shall we...ok stuff it yeah stick it on the credit card !

I am pretty sure if those customers went away to think about it and get cash out of the bank they would change their mind. 

Agree with Max above done similar a few times, sometimes it just makes it so much easier to close the deal