Sign in to follow this  
grant8064

Gravel.

You heard that right. I wanna chat aggregates.

We have a nice site that is covered in a lovely layer of pea shingle and looks the dogs whatsits but our second site is a bloody mess. Its a cheapo site that the owner will develop within the next few years so we don't want to spend anything on it but I nearly lost a vertebrae hitting a pot hole on it the other day.

It's a mix of asphalt, dark grey one inch chippings and some random shingle bits in it. The pot holes are in the grey shingle stuff, it's like the purple chippings that people put in their front gardens but dark grey and seem to compact better. 

I might be acting dumb but does anyone know the name of these grey chippings...I dropped into b&q but they don't do them and it's really difficult to work out on google. And if I find said chippings should I chuck a bit of cement in the mix to set the filling in the hole?

Type 1 MOT stone (I was in construction trade)

Travis Perkins, Buildbase, EH Smith etc - in 1m3 bags about £35-40 delivered (approx one ton)

What about asphalt planings? We had it done at our storage yard, paid about £50 a ton. Keeps it looking relatively clean, isn't an arse ache when it rains and as above, its cheap

6F2, Type 1 etc. are grades (sizing) of stone, little to do with the material.

Seconhand asphalt (tarmac) is called Road Planings.

By the sound of it the chippings you describe as being like the purple ones in peoples’ gardens sound like slate chippings by your description - they come in grey (sometimes called black), purple & green.

If you’re covering even a modest area to about 40mm you’ll need a surprising amount - a few bags from your local garden centre won’t go far.

You guys....I knew this would be the place to ask!

A wealth of information as always. I'll absorb the info and get on the phone to the local merchants.

Cheers all

I stand by my comment - get some Type 1 down - probably the cheapest option and this stuff comes usually varies in size from 50mm down to dust and will compact down almost solidly - it is after all what is used under blockpaving and tarmac driveways.

Can be quite dusty until you've had several good rainfalls just to warn you.

Work on 1 ton to every 10m2

This is the stuff under my Land Rover in our woods - approx 3-4 tons there.

IMG_1004 (2).JPG