Sign in to follow this  
Arthur thicken

Challenge

Because there are so many opinions on this and they got lost in the vast number of threads, I have created a survey which requires just a one click answer:

Click the link (not done this before so bear with me).

Please just tick the one box which you consider to be the best portal to advertise cars, you can decide on the criteria for "best"

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/FB9XV2T

I will post the results in the Private Lounge after 48 hours (as I cannot embed this survey as I am not a site administrator).

If you prefer not to take part, I understand but this must be the simplest way for a comparison without all the emotive comments.

Sorry Mark, I have no idea what this will prove. As you say, there are plenty of opinions and a one click answer will prove nothing other than some people will say EBay, some AT, some their own website and so on. 

It won’t prove anything useful, particularly if you’re looking for an answer on which platform YOU should use. All you can do is read opinions and make your own mind up. 

13 minutes ago, EPV said:

Sorry Mark, I have no idea what this will prove. As you say, there are plenty of opinions and a one click answer will prove nothing other than some people will say EBay, some AT, some their own website and so on. 

It won’t prove anything useful, particularly if you’re looking for an answer on which platform YOU should use. All you can do is read opinions and make your own mind up. 

I'll put you down for AT then :lol:

I know very well the reasons for each portal but I for one have lost track on this sort of vote AT vs. Ebay vs.......

29 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

I'll put you down for AT then :lol:

I know very well the reasons for each portal but I for one have lost track on this sort of vote AT vs. Ebay vs.......

That’s sort of my point mate. 

There is no point in keeping track of such a thing. The probability is that AT will “win” because it has a larger audience, larger customer base so in all probability it will “win” the poll. Does it mean its right for you? Perhaps! But you won’t learn that from a poll of a handful of dealers. 

My old salesman (old as in previous, not age) always sang AT's praises and said how good it was.  I then twigged one day- of course ANY salesman will want you to be on as many advertising sites as possible as (they think) it gives them more opportunity for leads and commissions -which it does perhaps I guess.  Trouble is, a salesman doesn't have to write the cheques.

He always said the calls were from AT mostly.  When I started quizzing the customers and looking into it, I realised that because we had an AT website, customers that found the ad say on ebay MP (must have Best Offer enabled IMHO) they then clicked on the website and then thought it was AT.  The ebay call didn't come through as an ebay call. Or from a google search 'used cars in my area' for example, AT would often be top of the list with ebay or others just below.

They would also very often tell me they 'also saw it on ebay etc. and, as I say often- we still get told 'I saw it on Autotrader.

Once we dropped AT, nothing really changed.  Certainly not enough to justify going back to giving them 40k a year. I really am convinced more and more people aren't just going to a dedicated car sales platform anymore but google search etc, or click on targeted banners...

We'll never resolve this I know, but everyone is entitled to spread their viewpoint, so I can't see the subject ever going away and, I for one, will keep shouting my viewpoint in regards to AT disgusting prices and practises, cluttered sponsored ad website, ridiculous 'race to the bottom' price indicator stress etc ;0)

Fortunately for me I don’t have to rely on other people to tell me what’s working (in their opinion) or rely on the public’s memory as I can just pop onto my portal on AT and the call logging service that eBay MP provide and see where my calls are coming from. It’s really useful for me as I can see what advertising is expensive and what’s not!

I don’t think it’s about resolving the debate Noacross, what works for you works and same for me. 

2 minutes ago, EPV said:

I don’t think it’s about resolving the debate Noacross, what works for you works and same for me. 

Absolutely true. And both platforms will work for some and not others as you say.  I'm sure the times they are a changing though for AT's dominance but I could be wrong.

I just wish I was told/encouraged years before I did to dump AT.

28 minutes ago, EPV said:

Fortunately for me I don’t have to rely on other people to tell me what’s working (in their opinion) 

No one needs to rely on anyone’s opinion but most people on here have tried and tested many methods and are far more experienced than me.  I would be a fool not to consult what has been an extremely helpful and transparent group of fellow traders, add that to my own findings and maybe, just maybe I come up with a winning cocktail without wasting money where others have tried and been disappointed.

Edited by Mark101
Typo
  • Like 1

A member on here runs RS Car Sales, Cheshire.

Impressive turnover on what seems to be a lot of Facebook traffic.

51 minutes ago, Mark101 said:

No one needs to rely on anyone’s opinion but most people on here have tried and tested many methods and are far more experienced than me.  I would be a fool not to consult what has been an extremely helpful and transparent group of fellow traders, add that to my own findings and maybe, just maybe I come up with a winning cocktail without wasting money where others have tried and been disappointed.

Mark, we support new traders

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark101 said:

Hi Mark

I think we all waste money on something in the beginning be it advertising or spending too much on recon or valeting, so I guess you just have to be prepared for that look a tyourself in 3 years when you go 'I cant believe I spent £x on Y'. But thats the learning process I and I would think everyone else on here has done (and probably still does). Have a go with AT. and then if you dont think its working, drop it for a bit. But if I was going to recommend a way of getting a good start, I would use AT. More people looking, better chance of a sale. just my opinion!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 1:08 PM, NOACROSS said:

We dropped them coming up two years ago- made little difference, especially when you factor in how many units sold go to paying them! We don't miss them at all and the world didn't end.

However, we are a small used independant, so maybe even I (who hate AT with a vengeance) would maybe think differently if I was one of the big boys. I dunno.  The prices are mental and it should be fair and offered at the same rate to everyone EXCEPT there should be better bulk buy discounts and everyone should get more stock for the money & in my opinion DOUBLE what they give now (like they do at Xmas).

Exactly the same here, when i started i was alternating between Autotrader and Ebay .sometimes I had great results with both and other times not a single bite. Not too bad with Ebay as they only charge you an insertion fee and not a commission if you dont sell. Spending £45 for an AT ad and not even getting a call really galls me though. I try Facebook/Gumtree and Motors at the mo. the results are much better than I expected and good enough for me to consider AT as my absolute last ditch resort to sell a car. I am tiny though just selling a few from home so can appreciate those with scale might need to feed the dragon!

Still no one getting quotes?

Thought this debate was about the unfair advertising costs of AT as they were charging some more then others?

14 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Thought this debate was about the unfair advertising costs of AT as they were charging some more then others?

I think it started (but that was a long time ago) with Arthurs challenge. I'm looking out for some of his results to give us an idea of how much of a difference its made for him. 

32 minutes ago, Earunder said:

Arthur’s in the sun somewhere, annoying the Spanish 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, EPV said:

Arthur’s in the sun somewhere, annoying the Spanish 

No, apparently he came back after 4 or so hours from posting O.o

1 hour ago, Matt Reid said:

I think it started (but that was a long time ago) with Arthurs challenge. I'm looking out for some of his results to give us an idea of how much of a difference its made for him. 

I'd be very interested to know if they are charging different amounts.

BUT it will have to be on a level playing field because of their 'TIER' system as I said before.

2 hours ago, Earunder said:

Hi Earunder

You are one of the few to disclose what you are being charged.I am unsure why more haven’t done so,maybe it is Trade mentality again,plenty of winging but not willing to do anything about it.

I see that the Competition Authority are to investigate fuel prices on Motorways which can be 20p per litre more.Its a bit like that with AT,they cannot just charge what they want,they are are a public company.

People need to complain to the CMA ,complaints are confidential.

4 hours ago, trade vet said:

Hi Earunder

You are one of the few to disclose what you are being charged.I am unsure why more haven’t done so,maybe it is Trade mentality again,plenty of winging but not willing to do anything about it.

I see that the Competition Authority are to investigate fuel prices on Motorways which can be 20p per litre more.Its a bit like that with AT,they cannot just charge what they want,they are are a public company.

People need to complain to the CMA ,complaints are confidential.

I haven’t said anything because it’s irrelevant to this discussion as i’m small fry but it’s £587+ VAT for 7 cars. 

We only do AT (works so bloody well)

and eBay (it's cheap but the less said the better)

Happy to pay what AT charge because it sells cars. Might lose eBay if it has a price increase this year.

3 hours ago, grant8064 said:

We only do AT (works so bloody well)

and eBay (it's cheap but the less said the better)

Happy to pay what AT charge because it sells cars. Might lose eBay if it has a price increase this year.

Ebay works well for us for lumpy stuff and performance and would struggle without.

Results from the short survey for those who are interested.

I suppose the results were predictable reading the above posts.

Not used the portal under "other" - are they any good?

Autotrader
53.85%
Ebay
30.77%
Gumtree
0.00%
Motors
0.00%
Pistonheads
0.00%
Exchange & Mart
0.00%
Facebook
7.69%
Other
0.00%
Other (please specify)
7.69%
RESPONSES (1) TEXT ANALYSIS TAGS
Showing 1 response
fuck off twat
4/3/2018 7:11 PM

Didn't start a new thread in Private Lounge because it is Anonymous anyway.

Must be just me but ...

Standard Package for 45 cars @ £3844.68

Must be loosing a fair few dealers to have 2 "offers" to come back since start of March.

Love the fact they call it an offer :D  If it worked for me I'd be in, but they are relentless in trying to get everyone in to advertise with them.  Crickey if they provided me with 20k of profit p/m like they did 2 years ago I wouldn't mind their "offer" but 2 years ago I was advertising more than triple I did when I came out as the response, views and everything went down.  

Hi arthur, How are your sites getting on? After a poor April, got to take a look at how AT is performing

Well we are 6 weeks into the challenge and can't continue with it any longer. The site that cancelled Motors and stayed with Autotrader has continued with the normal volume of sales, even looking like it will increase a little this month, so that site won't be going back on Motors. The other site that stayed with Motors and came off Autotrader.... sales down 10 units last month and going the same way this month, if not worse. So there you have it  AT seems to be worth 10 units per month, about a third of our sales on each site. Will be going back to Autotrader and reviewing Motors as I've just checked 'the eye' (motors system) and we've had 3 calls this month, two were from the same person. We all have to make our own advertising decisions, I've made mine. Arthur Thicken, hoping to drive the sales back up..