Sign in to follow this  
countryman

Motor Insurance Database (MID)

Hi,

I am after a bit of advice re MID requirements as I'm a bit confused (in fact even more so after speaking to my insurance company!) and would be interested to know what you all do.

Currently, I only put cars on the MID that are to be used on the road (or were still taxed under the old system), but I read somewhere that any vehicle that has been in my possession for more than 14 days meeds to be on there, even if they are just sat on my forecourt for sale.

I had thought that if vehicles were 'in trade' (i.e. yellow slip sent off) then the 'continuous insurance' regulations didn't apply?

It was my understanding that untaxed vehicles that are to be used on the road with Trade Plates did not need to be on the MID?

My confusion is further compounded as I have a  number of vehicles on SOR, both from the 'public' and other dealers - speaking to my insurer this morning, it appears that they also need to be on my MID as they are in my possession, albeit not my ownership?

Does anybody have a definitive answer?

No definitive answer i'm afraid. Was once told all taxed vehicles needed to go on there as well as any vehicles which were in stock for longer then 3 months!! I only entre vehicles which are in use + trade plates !!!

I googled and found this, maybe of some help!!!

http://www.tradex.com/mypolicy/howto/mid-qa.aspx

If a car isn't Sorn then it must be insured. So, you can either worn the car or MID it. In practice, its best to MID it, although you could argue that you are using trade plates. If you took a SORN car out on a test drive you "could" find yourself in trouble.

Minefield.... 

According to my own motor trade insurers, the only cars that need to be put onto MID are ones that have been in your possesion for 14 days and are also taxed.  However, since the new tax rules came into play in October, I'm unsure how/why/if the tax side of it still matters.  The road tax side of the motor trade must be another subject for another day!

I questioned my insurers a couple of yrs ago about said MID subject, and said that from the information they had given me at the time of my renewal that it was very complicated and difficlt to assertain which cars needed to be on the MID and which didn't.  There was clearly some confusion on their part as one person told me to do one thing, but another in the same dept said to do another!

So, still confused, I took the decision to put every single car that is in my possesion on the MID as soon as I get them.  They then stay on there until I sell them.  So if I'm going to pick a car up from Coventry or wherever, I put the details on the MID just before I set off to collect it.  And as soon as I've handed the keys over to new customer on completion of the sale, I go back onto MID and take it off. 

This may or may not be the correct thing to do, but as I see it it's better to have everything covered in the event of an unfortunate/unlucky incident, than be unsure as to which cars need to be on the MID and which don't.

However, obviously for a small dealer like myself that only has a handfull of cars, it's fairly easy to do and once I'd been doing it it all became part of the routine.  But I suppose bigger concerns with big numbers of vehicles could find it more tricky to keep on top of.

In reference to Andy's comment above regarding trade plates, trade plates only cover you for the road tax.  They are nothing to do with the insurance side of things.

Hope this helps  :)

• Like 1

Ive always said its safer to just put them on the MID and we do that simply via a text message service to our insurance company and within minutes the car in on the MID and we can also take them off via text message .. theres also an internet app we can use to put cars on / off and for the 2mins it takes do do iust always put them on etc.

My business partner was stopped a few years back via ANPR as the car came up uninsured as we did not put on the MID .. he had our insurance documents on him which we like to carry and had an understanding copper who let him drive off 

• Like 1

So, still confused, I took the decision to put every single car that is in my possesion on the MID as soon as I get them.  They then stay on there until I sell them.  So if I'm going to pick a car up from Coventry or wherever, I put the details on the MID just before I set off to collect it.  And as soon as I've handed the keys over to new customer on completion of the sale, I go back onto MID and take it off. 

I do this too, so if its incorrect we are both in trouble :D

I put all my cars on that are going to be retailed! Saves any issues if the ANPR picks up any cars on test drive , and i suppose if there was any issues with insurance cover they are fully aware what vehicles I have in stock at all times  ! Maybe an over kill but safe than sorry ! :) 

• Like 1