twerp

R56 Mini Experts ?

Several N18 engined Mini Cooper S in the catalogues recently with the following fault codes.

Am I right that a High Pressure Fuel pump should fix them?

P0087 - Fuel rail/system pressure

P0300 - Misfire-more than one cylinder

P0304 - Misfiring on one or more cylinders

P0302 - Misfiring on one or more cylinders

Aye... but it could be.....

Gummed up intake valves requiring walnut shell blasting....

or Coil packs and plugs

or Stretched timing chain.....

or All of the above....

:rolleyes:

minefield.. as above the list is endless with these engines ! i think they are Peugeot aren't they ?  

3 hours ago, Tadams said:

minefield.. as above the list is endless with these engines ! i think they are Peugeot aren't they ?  

Joint venture between Bmw and PSA

13 minutes ago, tradex said:

The Prince of Darkness. 

Used to be applied to Lucas, how times have changed. :D

"Prince" very cleaver...

does this only relate to the 1.4 engine or does the 1.6 suck just as bad i used to love the mini's

N18 is the newer BMW engine fitted to cooper s after 2010 and JCW 2012

The previous N14 peugeot is the one to look for timing chain rattles and coked up bits.

If well maintained an N14 will last as well as the next engine, its just lack of oil changes and general poor maintenence that kills these

We sell em all day long - but we are very selective about what we buy and will only get an assured car form BCA unless my tech is at the block with me to listen - however a timing chain change isn't that big or expensive a job, its when its not done that the issues arise....

Also could be a Vanos unit as these stick

Or HPFP

Expensive part, easy fit

37 minutes ago, Mat C said:

The previous N14 peugeot is the one to look for timing chain rattles and coked up bits.

If well maintained an N14 will last as well as the next engine, its just lack of oil changes and general poor maintenence that kills these

We sell em all day long - but we are very selective about what we buy and will only get an assured car form BCA unless my tech is at the block with me to listen - however a timing chain change isn't that big or expensive a job, its when its not done that the issues arise....

Or HPFP

Expensive part, easy fit

I beg to differ. The last and only 308 I’ll ever buy again with that engine was a one owner full service history car and it still bellowed out blue smoke when warm.

Also a garage we use have had a customers 2009 Cooper S in for months now, 50k miles and shot a rod through the block. Can’t source another decent engine for it.

The third time I’ve been stung with the 1.6 now. Never again.

Edited by Lakeside

53 minutes ago, Mat C said:

Or HPFP

Expensive part, easy fit

I was hoping you would reply :)

Lets be honest, low fuel pressure and a misfire does point ot the HPFP rather than those other things.

Just not sure I am brave enough. 

That said a lot of those HPFP's seem to be sold on eBay and plenty of forum threads point to them

Mat C, in your opinion, which is the less problematic Mini to go for then? 2010 and over?

1 hour ago, ik1980 said:

Mat C, in your opinion, which is the less problematic Mini to go for then? 2010 and over?

One from 1968......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ocsltd said:

One from 1968......

Wouldn’t even bother with one of them, it’ll dissolve with a jet wash. 

are the N18's any better on oil than the N14's?

Had awful issues with Peugeots, DS3's and Minis with the 1.6 engine drinking oil

52 minutes ago, CJ Underhill said:

are the N18's any better on oil than the N14's?

Had awful issues with Peugeots, DS3's and Minis with the 1.6 engine drinking oil

Much improved, less cam chain problems, not perfect

I might be tempting fate here but...

...i've done bagfuls of these in Pugs, Minis and a few DS3's and never had an issue with the engine bar one (oil consumption).

* DISCLAIMER - That's not to say any of them didn't have a host of other issues to deal with :P

On 15/03/2018 at 9:03 AM, ik1980 said:

Hiya, 

Sorry for late reply, been sooooo busy this week.

Yes N18 is a more reliable engine, however we will happily sell N14 car, but we check them meticulously beforehand. Its like anything, read the moaners forums and you'd never buy anything. We explain to each customer that the engines are common for oil consumption, keep an eye on it, keep it checked and serviced and you should be OK. Its when people hear a rattle and keep driving the thing for 2 months and then wonder why the chain snapped?? 

We got lucky this week with 2 2010 purchases from Scotland that we thought were N14's that turned out to be early N18's

We walk away from more cars than we buy, because we are selective about what we sell, but we don't always get it right.

I'm much more comfortable buying N14 now I have my own technician. I'm just doing a HPFP in an N14 JCW that would have cost me £1200 a year ago. Same job now, done in minutes for less than £400. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mat C said:

We got lucky this week with 2 2010 purchases from Scotland that we thought were N14's that turned out to be early N18's

Enlighten me? I always thought : 

N14 = silver trim on radio

N18 = black trim on radio 

Or you could just use the free VIN checker on realOEM

14 minutes ago, twerp said:

We use myminivin but to be honest I didn’t bother looking as silver trim cars are N14. However there are a few pre lci facelift 10 plates with silver trim had early N18 engines. I think they intro’d the engine March 2010 and then the lci facelift around sept on a 60 plate with the black trim. 

20 minutes ago, twerp said:

Wow! and I thought I was a product knowledge geek in my VW days!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mat C said:

We use myminivin but to be honest I didn’t bother looking as silver trim cars are N14. However there are a few pre lci facelift 10 plates with silver trim had early N18 engines. I think they intro’d the engine March 2010 and then the lci facelift around sept on a 60 plate with the black trim. 

Thankyou

What is the deal with circa 2010 Coopers with reflective stickers on the arches like a USA car ?

15 hours ago, twerp said:

Thankyou

What is the deal with circa 2010 Coopers with reflective stickers on the arches like a USA car ?

They're an aftermarket ( US ) add on. For some reason the yoofs like to add the reflector bumpers and also some even paint them ( Yuk ) I personally stay well away from any Mini with colour coded bumpers as I think they look crap.