A & S

Still get the Buzz

Been In the trade over 20 years and still get the buzz when this happens .....

Had a car come in px, got it fully valeted, took pictures, parked the car on the front (with no price board on), Friday afternoon had a phone call from a lady enquiring about it, came down a couple of hours later with her husband, they had a look around it picking the car like tyres are getting low etc, (i said to them if they buy the car i will put two new tyres on the front), then he said he had a px and didn't want to part with a lot of money, was hinting that he almost wants to do a swap, at the end they said we will be back either on Sunday or Monday. I put the car on the net after they had gone, about 20 minutes later had a phone call from a different customer, they came on Saturday morning at 9, looked at it and left a large deposit (did not tell the second customer that there was someone else interested)......then this evening had a phone call... 

This is briefly how the telephone conversation went AND we will make a rare close to £2k profit on this one car.....

First Customer : sorry to call you so late on Sunday evening, we came to look at the car on Friday can we come in the morning to see you about it? 

Me : Its ok for the phone call but the car has been sold yesterday, we've taken a deposit on it.

First Customer : But we said we were going to come back

Me : Sorry love, someone else has left a deposit for the car

First Customer : Is the car definitely been sold, we did see it first

Me : yes you did see it first, but they bought it first as they committed to it first, so i am sorry the car has now been sold.

(STILL BUZZING):D:lol::D

• Like 1

its kinda spooky how often that happens, thankfully i tend to stock a lot of the same stuff so i use this to ok well i have got another one i can do a similar deal on blah 

• Like 1

I had it this weekend. A couple came down to look at a Tigra I had on Saturday, loved the car but his Mrs wasn’t happy about a bit of wear on the drivers seat. We agreed a price but no deposit was left as it was subject to him seeing how much a new seat would cost him first.

Sunday and I get another phone call from someone else wanting to view it. They came down and bought it straight away for more than the offer from the first couple. Happy days.

First customer rang me back last night saying he’d found a seat on eBay so would be down Monday to collect it. 

Sorry pal sold it this morning :)

Edited by Lakeside
  • Like 1

Bought a car friday, sold it to a walk-in an hour later at a healthy profit without a price board or valet... no buzz. Felt cheated that the stock was gone :lol:

The buzz.....while I like doing deals ( downing the punters ),it has always been on the buying side for me.It is not the same now of course,you might get good knock downs on line.However you have to wait for them to land,to see whether it is a Grade 3 and appears as a Grade 5 or vice versa.When you drove to the other end of the country,stood at the block,got some good knock downs it was different.You would then go into the yard to check again in case you had missed something.If they were OK,that was the buzz....The long drive home then felt a lot better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trade vet said:

The buzz.....while I like doing deals ( downing the punters ),it has always been on the buying side for me.It is not the same now of course,you might get good knock downs on line.However you have to wait for them to land,to see whether it is a Grade 3 and appears as a Grade 5 or vice versa.When you drove to the other end of the country,stood at the block,got some good knock downs it was different.You would then go into the yard to check again in case you had missed something.If they were OK,that was the buzz....The long drive home then felt a lot better.

That feeling when its too cheap and you start to panic :D

1 hour ago, Mojo121 said:

Bought a car friday, sold it to a walk-in an hour later at a healthy profit without a price board or valet... no buzz. Felt cheated that the stock was gone :lol:

Ha, I can relate to this! :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojo121 said:

:lol:. Now you got to replace it, not easy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lakeside said:

I had it this weekend. A couple came down to look at a Tigra I had on Saturday, loved the car but his Mrs wasn’t happy about a bit of wear on the drivers seat. We agreed a price but no deposit was left as it was subject to him seeing how much a new seat would cost him first.

Sunday and I get another phone call from someone else wanting to view it. They came down and bought it straight away for more than the offer from the first couple. Happy days.

First customer rang me back last night saying he’d found a seat on eBay so would be down Monday to collect it. 

Sorry pal sold it this morning :)

Funny isn't it...... Some people perceptions and expectations...... Couple number 1 whining about a bit of wear on the seat of a car that I'm guessing is approx 12 years old? 

Couple 2 come in later to see the same vehicle and buy it irrespective of the seat wear on the 12 year old car. Bonkers! 

I'm getting to the point where I can't enter into conversation with some people out there who want to buy a "brand new used"  car from us...... It absolutely fries my brain. 

3 hours ago, A & S said:

:lol:. Now you got to replace it, not easy.

And if you can find an identical spec/mileage/condition/price, you're guaranteed to still have it in June.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rory RSC said:

That feeling when its too cheap and you start to panic :D

That’s soooo true, why was it so cheap, what did I miss... 

3 hours ago, Dealer said:

Funny isn't it...... Some people perceptions and expectations...... Couple number 1 whining about a bit of wear on the seat of a car that I'm guessing is approx 12 years old? 

Couple 2 come in later to see the same vehicle and buy it irrespective of the seat wear on the 12 year old car. Bonkers! 

I'm getting to the point where I can't enter into conversation with some people out there who want to buy a "brand new used"  car from us...... It absolutely fries my brain. 

Couple 1 were probably spending every last penny & couple 2 probably weren’t. It’s usually the greedy penniless bar-stewards who are fussy.

As for punters with ridiculous expectations it’s getting crazy at the moment with more & more expecting the earth for a few grand. I’ve started telling them to look at the condition first & if they don’t like what they see we’ll stop there. They only get a test drive when they confirm they’re happy with the condition.

29 minutes ago, BHM said:

Couple 1 were probably spending every last penny & couple 2 probably weren’t. It’s usually the greedy penniless bar-stewards who are fussy.

As for punters with ridiculous expectations it’s getting crazy at the moment with more & more expecting the earth for a few grand. I’ve started telling them to look at the condition first & if they don’t like what they see we’ll stop there. They only get a test drive when they confirm they’re happy with the condition.

Some totally unrealistic bells out there, want a new car for used car money 

3 hours ago, tradex said:

As we both get older our 'messer tolerance limit' is now easily surpassed.

After passing keys, chat with customer, "I can show you how to buy a good car or leave you to it?" they have a looky see up the exhaust pipe, then.

Talk turkey before anything else to focus the mind, that we are here to sell cars, not to provide an hours entertainment whilst waiting for the dental appointment.

Money (as in FA off) any p/x (look first), "what do you do think on first impression, isn't she a cracker?", "will you buy it if he drives as well as I say, before get her filthy for the next viewer"....not forgetting the pre-test drive agreement form filling, which acts as a good pro/serial messer filter, got to be done and takes 15 mins.

Regarding the "do you like it on first impression?" this is a good Litmus test for just how the customer is going to be, later on when the tooth sucking starts.

We prep the b*llocks out of our cars, they always 'pop' at first sight with 'kerb appeal' and we won't sell anything that isn't 'proper', so bar colour (and we assume our customers can tell black from white) or that they don't hate French cars (remember that one?) there shouldn't be any decent reason why we can't sell, we aren't defending stuff lights on the dash etc.

There won't be any faults unless minor and stated up front (a/c won't take a gassing on real cheapie etc).....so any "hmm, well" or "that's for us to know" after the initial "do you like her?" and the alarm bells ring with me, I just know it's "a we got a few more to see/waiting on wife/girlfriend/husband/cat/dog/Lotto win/house sale/full driving license/bit more than we want to spend/it's just that we really wanted a brand new for £1/2/3/4/5k".

Harsh, maybe? But we do out a sugar coating on it, works for us mostly, and we clean less cars.

PS Our peachy "we were expecting, you know, a good one" 1 owner full Reggie, low miles Clio sold yesterday to a hard nosed but fair, OC farm plant fitter.

Spent 30 mins over it, we even let him code read it on our kit, he was out there so long in the rain we thought he had walked? Came in the office, dripping wet but bright and breezy and wanted to buy without a test drive (he had to, for the PDI form agreement)  "couldn't fault it, makes a nice change", "nor could we sir, isn't she a peach".

Proper buyer, we love them.

i could have written that:o

uncanny:)

Well the plot thickens. I’ve had Tigra customer number one messaging me this morning claiming he’d already bought the new seat and isn’t happy that the car is no longer available so will be sending me the bill for it in the post. Oh and apparently had already taxed and insured it? Not sure how without the ref number off the v5 but still. I’ll wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Lakeside said:

Well the plot thickens. I’ve had Tigra customer number one messaging me this morning claiming he’d already bought the new seat and isn’t happy that the car is no longer available so will be sending me the bill for it in the post. Oh and apparently had already taxed and insured it? Not sure how without the ref number off the v5 but still. I’ll wait and see.

What a bitter little tw*t, be thankful you didn't sell the car to them!!

You snooze, you lose!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lakeside said:

watch your back he sounds nasty

1 hour ago, Lakeside said:

Compensation culture etc............I would just play them along, ( in my spare time of course) then get them into correspondence and dig a hole for themselves.......

38 minutes ago, tradex said:

Ohh sooo agree, that one sounds like you could have real fun with that when the pitch is quiet, great bit of sport there to be had:D.

On a serious note, you dodged a bullet there:rolleyes:

I mean, what sort of twat buys something for a car they don't even own....FFS

Because apparently we had a legally binding verbal agreement :D

Edited by Lakeside
  • Like 1

I've never really got a buzz from selling. I'm very much a 'it's a clean car, you want it you buy it, you don't you don't' kind of guy. My buzz has always come from that chopper or private purchase you get in that you see a bit of hidden value in.

Best one lately was an Yaris Verso...hateful car but super rare and gold plated sellers. Taken in chop and we're pretty open about things, CAP on the laptop swung round at the punter so they can see for themselves. Books at £340, you want £500...OK no problem we can stretch to that because you're nice people. They genuinely were, one of those lovely couples that just appreciates not being talked down to.

Now I personally love a Verso. My partners favourite is Fusion Autos. You can stick your black Germans, SUVs and sporty stuff where you like as far as i'm concerned. Bit of a mop and a valet, new ticket...hasn't had an advisory in years.

A competitor has a similar one up for £4495, now that's mental. Cheapest comparable is £2995 but that's up in deepest darkest Birmingham. Five similar comparable vehicles nationwide. These are the fun buzz bits for me. The, on paper, undesirable stuff other dealers poke fun at you for taking into stock but in reality earns as much profit as a three of their BMWs and Audis put together.

• Like 1

Agree totally. And love Fusions too. Even the semi autos do very well. Especially up to £3495.

It’s great when you get a nice little PX earner and decent mark up from no outlay. Or when something comes in filthy with no history and it valets up a treat and you find the history in the seat pocket ;o)

8 hours ago, tradex said:

I mean, what sort of twat buys something for a car they don't even own....FFS

He won’t of. It’s just shite spewing from an emailer’s fingertips. He’ll be hoping to be offered a few quid compensation. Clowns.

Years ago I had one try to bill me for a train - I had phoned him to say “sorry, the car’s gone” and he was on the train. Not a happy bunny, we exchanged ‘pleasantries’ I’ve the phone, gave him the email brush off & when he sent me the ticket I ripped it up & posted it back to him. It’s a hard world and this game has taught me to ignore the talk and deal on a first come, first served basis.

10 hours ago, Lakeside said:

;):lol:.....I can smell........

He is entitled to 'F' all

Edited by A & S