Sign in to follow this  
metcars

Overspray

Yes I know. but does anyone have a successful DIY method of removing automotive paint from hard plastic trim! It's a long story:rolleyes:

Clay bar or if the panel isn’t textured then I would go for wet and dry 2500/3000 grit 

i think I am going to buy my painter a nice set of tyre covers fed up of him painting my tyres 

1 hour ago, Screenman said:

Clay cloth or bar, with lubricant.

I second that. We detail all our vehicles and clay cloth or clay bar will be best method for plastic.

You could also try a dry magic sponge if the plastic is not textured.

31 minutes ago, tradex said:

Spray a mix of water and washing up liquid on the tyres first, paint won't stick then.

or find another painter who knows how to mask up :D LOL.

Thanks for the ideas, just to add that sadly it is textured plastic. Door mirror surround and bumper trim.

9/10 then gun wash as said but use a lint free white cloth or the colour can come out of the cloth

get painter 4 old blankets from somewhere and get him to use these on the wheels

7 hours ago, tradex said:

Door mirror to bumper....that's quite a journey for a bit of humble overspray....come on spill the beans there has to be a story here:D

Sadly no story:D. This is how the car came in. It's had paint down one side and some overspray has crept in on the door mirror and on the black plastic trim at the bottom of the rear bumper, which I'm assuming either the previous owner missed or didn't care about. 

On 1/25/2018 at 11:16 PM, DoubleM said:

or find another painter who knows how to mask up :D LOL.

Overspray isn't acceptable, its unprofessional. It means poor prep and the sprayer isn't taking pride and doing his job right. Totally not acceptable in my book.

12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

Overspray isn't acceptable, its unprofessional. It means poor prep and the sprayer isn't taking pride and doing his job right. Totally not acceptable in my book.

+1 we used 4 bodyshops for a bit 3 spot on 1 always coming back covered in overspray and all our valeters hated the guy for this. 

We now use 3 and he goes round slagging us off to anyone that will listen :lol:

12 hours ago, Arfur Dealy said:

I totally agree but as I said, this is how it came and otherwise it's ok, even the paint is OK?

you see, sometimes, we are our own worst enemy,

eg

" how much? what if you do it for £" ?

"while youve got paint in the pot just do that bit as well"

you know us traders have a bad name dont you ? :D

my painter has a trade price [ to me, i finish off, no overspray, but the valet if fillers involved, clean glass, might find a bit of masking tape on inner door edge, that sort of thing]

or a retail price, all done valeted even tyres blacked.....................

8 minutes ago, have a word with the wife said:

you see, sometimes, we are our own worst enemy,

eg

" how much? what if you do it for £" ?

"while youve got paint in the pot just do that bit as well"

you know us traders have a bad name dont you ? :D

my painter has a trade price [ to me, i finish off, no overspray, but the valet if fillers involved, clean glass, might find a bit of masking tape on inner door edge, that sort of thing]

or a retail price, all done valeted even tyres blacked.....................

Agreed we can all find a paint shop than can do a job worthy of brand new motor the trick is finding one that can do the job to the level the general public wouldnt notice at a price we can still retain a profit.

1 minute ago, justina3 said:

Agreed we can all find a paint shop than can do a job worthy of brand new motor the trick is finding one that can do the job to the level the general public wouldnt notice at a price we can still retain a profit.

Agreed, but I don’t expect too nor have the time to finish it off for the sprayer.  That’s what I am paying them to do. You get a trade discount for loyalty not for a lesser product. JMHO

I see your point but in real life it doesnt work that way well at least it doesnt down our neck of the woods.

57 minutes ago, justina3 said:

I see your point but in real life it doesnt work that way well at least it doesnt down our neck of the woods.

It does in mine :)

Good painters who do trade work are hard to find.If you have one,look after them and pay them well and on time because often traders give them a hard time, so they pack in and do something else.Painting cars is an awful job,when you think about it,if you had a paint shop,you would not want to do trade work when you can easily undercut the big paint shop guys who charge £500 a panel .....So IMO if there is a bit of overspray just deal with it.

• Like 1

Rotec Multisol perfect to get rid of overspray. Worth having a tin knocking about.

I think that a decent dealer and decent bodyshop can have a good working relationship. We always have cars that need prep and can keep them going with some regular work. They make more off the general public who come in for a car park scuff and then they never see them again whereas we pay the overheads. Couple of traders jobs soon have your monthly costs / wages covered. I find a pack of biscuits, crate of beer etc every so often goes a little way towards showing we appreciate the good work they do.

• Like 1