Sign in to follow this  
Craig F

Scam

Ladies and Gents

I had a chap ring me last week regarding a 2012 Discovery I have in stock at £20995. The chap not unusually in this day and age wanted to know the in's and out's of everything including the exact dates and mileages of the services and also a lot of information from the V5 to carry out his own HPI/AA Check. None of this unusual I thought as despite priding my adverts on being more informative than most I still have to re-answer most peoples questions where people do not read the blurb.

I have tried ringing this hot lead on 5 occasions since with the number going straight to voicemail each time.

I have a chap ring me today regarding the Discovery asking if I have the car in stock to which I replied yes. He then tells me he was due to collect a car today with the same registration number, same service history etc advertised on eBay. He had already taxed the vehicle with the information the seller had given him and was due to go and hand over £11000 in cash for the bargain HPI Clear, FLRSH 2012 Discovery.

Needless to say I will not be giving out V5 details for customers looking to do their own HPI/AA Checks anymore and amazingly the potential purchaser was not interested in coming and paying below market price (according to AT) for my beautiful Discovery that I have in stock.

1 hour ago, Craig F said:

Ladies and Gents

I had a chap ring me last week regarding a 2012 Discovery I have in stock at £20995. The chap not unusually in this day and age wanted to know the in's and out's of everything including the exact dates and mileages of the services and also a lot of information from the V5 to carry out his own HPI/AA Check. None of this unusual I thought as despite priding my adverts on being more informative than most I still have to re-answer most peoples questions where people do not read the blurb.

I have tried ringing this hot lead on 5 occasions since with the number going straight to voicemail each time.

I have a chap ring me today regarding the Discovery asking if I have the car in stock to which I replied yes. He then tells me he was due to collect a car today with the same registration number, same service history etc advertised on eBay. He had already taxed the vehicle with the information the seller had given him and was due to go and hand over £11000 in cash for the bargain HPI Clear, FLRSH 2012 Discovery.

Needless to say I will not be giving out V5 details for customers looking to do their own HPI/AA Checks anymore and amazingly the potential purchaser was not interested in coming and paying below market price (according to AT) for my beautiful Discovery that I have in stock.

so you gave a potential buyer the new keeper supplement number

thats madness this should only go on the sales receipt

theres a cloned copy of your car somewhere -------have you informed the police?

Edited by s and b

As the old saying goes: You can’t con an honest man. 

19 hours ago, BHM said:

As the old saying goes: You can’t con an honest man. 

i bet you can if the odds stack up to him

one word

greed

Happened to us.

Notify AutoTrader of the registration and hopefully they had it on there and can pass the details on the user account to Action Fraud.  

We had to create the case with AF as the victim did not want to have their details passed onto the police.  Luckily, AutoTrader has lots of information from the advertisers account and cookies.

Edited by Earunder

On 23/01/2018 at 11:58 AM, s and b said:

so you gave a potential buyer the new keeper supplement number

thats madness this should only go on the sales receipt

theres a cloned copy of your car somewhere -------have you informed the police?

Nope, only gave the chap the document reference number off of the front of the V5. How the potential purchaser managed to tax it off of that with no previous owner details I will never know.

Not informed the Police, told the potential purchaser that's what he should do. I've got the proper car sat here with all the right documentation which is all I am worried about.

16 hours ago, Craig F said:

Nope, only gave the chap the document reference number off of the front of the V5. How the potential purchaser managed to tax it off of that with no previous owner details I will never know.

Not informed the Police, told the potential purchaser that's what he should do. I've got the proper car sat here with all the right documentation which is all I am worried about.

Tip

It’s easy, the ref # on the front page is the same as the v5/2 ref apart from the first number is missing........

Simply try each number from 0-9 until you find the correct one :)

• Like 1

Wow. How did I not know this. Got a car going out in 30 minutes and only have front page of the V5. Thought that I would have to go to the post office to tax it.

Thank you !!

Don't even have to do that - the first digit is random, so just pick any one; it will work.

The lesson here I guess is don't give any V5 details to anyone unless they've already handed over the cash. Preferably when sitting in front of you.

2 hours ago, GreenGiant said:

Don't even have to do that - the first digit is random, so just pick any one; it will work.

The lesson here I guess is don't give any V5 details to anyone unless they've already handed over the cash. Preferably when sitting in front of you.

A green giant of vast knowledge, how do you know it’s random ?? I had to do one last week and it didn’t work till I got to 7.... maybe this is on older V5 ‘s? I agree that last few have just gone through on a 0. We

Tbh, I don't 'know', but it has always worked with random digits for me. Maybe DVLA have tightened it up a bit now. Either way, your method of trial and error will work just fine. At least they haven't introduced a 3 strikes and you're out system.