Sign in to follow this  
Pip

Prices at the block

All day at bca. What is going on can't move for people and cars selling hundreds above cap clean. Cars I have marked up at 3995 are making high 3s. I have a 58 Astra for 2495, watch an identical one make 22 today. Getting harder every year.

CAP guide is worthless Pip, went to BCA myself this week and agree prices are right at the top end but its better to walk away empty handed than make panic buys, pay over the odds just to fill spaces and be sat on cars for 6 months gathering dust and zero calls

..... and what's surprising is that it's proper traders that are buying at these prices, not newbies? Makes you wonder what they're doing with them that they can make any money.

I was at BCA Paddock Wood for the first time in years and was disappointed by the lack of quality stock. Years ago they got 'quality' p/x cars, clearly no longer!

Edited by met

dont get me started on auction prices I have wasted too many hours at the block this month been better off going in the bookies 

How do they justify their endemity charges? Never use to be like this. The cashiers should wear a mask. They don't hpi everything as I just had one come up with finance owing. £6000 car as wel and took them 4 days to sort it. Lucky I had an understanding buyer

Ive noticed im having to spend above cap clean to buy currently. 

I cant see how theres any money left in any of the deals. Cars arent making cap retail at the moment (for us anyway) so how the hell do people buy at almost retail price and sell on for profit

Just returned from Mannheim empty handed again! 

2011 Mini Cooper d cab, cap clean £5700  sold for £6800 plus fees ????

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Ive noticed im having to spend above cap clean to buy currently. 

I cant see how theres any money left in any of the deals. Cars arent making cap retail at the moment (for us anyway) so how the hell do people buy at almost retail price and sell on for profit

Haven't got anywhere near cap retail for years! 

18 minutes ago, Jon said:

Which Manheim Jon? 

22 minutes ago, Jon said:

Leave it out !

Straight Mini cabs sell for -£500 CAP Clean at the BCA BMW open sales

Couldn't actually find a space to park at Blackbushe today , glad I buggered off as it was the usual nonsense prices apparantly

January will always be the worst for buying! I used to go to blackbushe but gave up months ago. I watch online sometimes just for amusement. 

Manheim Haydock this evening . It was a white Cooper D 23k ex Arnold Clarke contract hire. 

Edited by Jon

I think it depends on what profit margin your after. I ignore all the guides most of the time. 

I see what I would retail the car for and work a margin in.

I agree some cars make crazy money, I was up Aston Barclay today, managed 3, one had a blown headgasket, great!!

Sometimes cars cap quite low and are way out sometimes. we would all be way better off if we could buy cap on most.

I got a letter off BCA on Monday, downgrading me to poverty spec membership as I have not given them enough money over a 12 month period. 

This made my week.

47 minutes ago, tradex said:

Paddock lost most of their quality venders years ago, a real shame.

I wondered if it was a case of quality p/x's just don't exist period.

48 minutes ago, MrC said:

I got a letter off BCA on Monday, downgrading me to poverty spec membership as I have not given them enough money over a 12 month period. 

This made my week.

I've recently started using my BCA account after a lapse. The journey from blue to gold is a painful expensive one.

Ah yes, the journey from blue to gold. We used police cars for that one! 

28 minutes ago, met said:

I wondered if it was a case of quality p/x's just don't exist period.

I've recently started using my BCA account after a lapse. The journey from blue to gold is a painful expensive one.

If quality p/x’s dont exist where are we going to all buy our stock :-(

12 hours ago, Jimbo said:

If quality p/x’s dont exist where are we going to all buy our stock :-(

I'm having to buy less than quality and polish the profit into them. Personally, I got fed up with chasing the little nuggets of gold and paying way over for them. My current buying strategy is to be more open minded about taking on a little 'project' at the right price. A bit of paint or a clutch is not a deal breaker as long as it comes at the right price. You'll also notice there's less competition as everyone wants the car with no work, especially chancers/privates. When the world returns to normal and every car is a peach and under book then I'll be back on them again. Just my opinion.

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised what stuff is making. We all know what January is traditionally like for buying stock, factor in this year's a lack of quality for obvious reasons  and you are left with even more Tom, Dick and Harrys fighting over what is left after the supermarket guys have filled their boots. Febuary will become the new January and things might ease off apart from the bills and then you are left playing Henry Kelly style catch up for the spring and summer. Nov and Dec folk will be stocking up for the new year and then it's back to square one and these type of threads this time next year. Can't wait.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sparky said:

I'm surprised that anyone is surprised what stuff is making. We all know what January is traditionally like for buying stock, factor in this year's a lack of quality for obvious reasons  and you are left with even more Tom, Dick and Harrys fighting over what is left after the supermarket guys have filled their boots. Febuary will become the new January and things might ease off apart from the bills and then you are left playing Henry Kelly style catch up for the spring and summer. Nov and Dec folk will be stocking up for the new year and then it's back to square one and these type of threads this time next year. Can't wait.

To be fair I was referring to the general auction price madness over the last 6 months rather than the usual seasonal peaks and troughs. But your point is a good one.

13 hours ago, DHill said:

Ah yes, the journey from blue to gold. We used police cars for that one! 

BCA Leeds? :D

38 minutes ago, met said:

BCA Leeds? :D

Brighouse, did they ever do police cars at BCA Leeds (formerly known as SMA or Premier) 

4 minutes ago, DHill said:

Brighouse, did they ever do police cars at BCA Leeds (formerly known as SMA or Premier) 

Brighouse,I thought Greengrass bought them all.

16 hours ago, Mike-Ktl said:

I agree some cars make crazy money, I was up Aston Barclay today, managed 3, one had a blown headgasket, great!!

has it got a blown headgasket or a bit of mayonnaise as most traders on here think mayonnaise is a blown gasket:o

too much edd china and ant tv watching i guess with the old nissan:lol:

Work at a main dealer here. and we are currently using Dealer Auction to move most of our px vehicles and I am really surprised at how much places are paying for stuff.

example Toyota Yaris Diesel 07 with 112k bodywork damage on it and decent history. someone just gave us £1500 it booked at about £1200 without the damage ! looking on autotrader and others places cant see where he will make his profit.

• Like 1