Sign in to follow this  
justina3

VW record sales 2017

Didnt they so well after the emission cheating scandal they had to sort out

I still think there a pile of poo last year again the most problem brand i had to deal with.

Totally agree, everyone laughs at the french, i have never had a clio fail an mot over emissions unlike almost every single polo i have bought, still scratch my head at people in the trade (and long time traders not newbies ) still waving there hands in the air like they just dont care over polos

These days i see a vw heading into the ring and its my alarm clock for a toilet brake.

51 minutes ago, justina3 said:

Totally agree, everyone laughs at the french, i have never had a clio fail an mot over emissions unlike almost every single polo i have bought, still scratch my head at people in the trade (and long time traders not newbies ) still waving there hands in the air like they just dont care over polos

These days i see a vw heading into the ring and its my alarm clock for a toilet brake.

It occurred to me, many Renault Kangoo / Nissan NV200 with the 1.5 DCI clock up 200k with just regular servicing.

Edited by twerp

I may get shot for this but I prefer selling french stuff over german. Cheaper to buy, easy fixes and nicer customers I find. 

Couldn’t agree more. Dreadful German poop. Been saying it for years. Auto boxes especially.  Just dreadful  

IF a French car does go wrong, it’s usually something simple and fixable like Renault window regulators etc.  

However, I have been steering clear of all diesels where possible,well before it was trendy to do so ;o)

...of course if they come in PX I have to take them..within reason- but I’m v hard on them.  

I avoid all German brands as much as possible. Especially VW as I never seem to be able to sell even a Golf unless it’s at a loss. 

Shame, I’m a 70’s child and used to be mad for VW Beetles/Campers MK1 & 2 Golf Gti’s etc.  

Anyway...best place for an old car is in the past...

i do well with the Beetle anything else i run a mile i said it before i am amazed they still have a following in the trade.

17 minutes ago, justina3 said:

i do well with the Beetle anything else i run a mile i said it before i am amazed they still have a following in the trade.

Whilst I agree with all the comments about VW, I hate them with a passion! But, I'm not surprised they have a following in the trade, as they are (Polo's in particular) seemingly popular by the niave public. What baffles me, is why they are so popular?! My mechanic use to role his eyes at me whenever I bought a 1.2 Polo, and I used to agree with him, but they always flew out, and that was the only reason I bought them.....

Trouble was, they would often fly back in with an EML!!! 

Why they have a 'reliable' brand image is beyond me.........

Popular with the public? Are they? Not here they’re not. Haven’t been for years. 

Maybe as nearly new or PCP at a Main Dealer perhaps. 

Fly back with an EML’.  Absolutely. 

Snap.

Aside from the expected EML three days later my biggest bug bear is the expectations from the buyer. All the VW stuff we've sold has been to such picky unrealistic buyers of USED cars where as anyone buying a six year old Frenchie has been fine with the odd curbed wheel or slightly scuffed carpet.

5 hours ago, tradex said:

Yes, a triumph of form over function, like LR. On paper VAG should be broke after their corporate cheating, but hey ho.

We never retail VW's or their siblings.....in fact we don't sell anything 'German' anymore.

This will no doubt cause a rumpus writing this, but now Daimler Benz have a technical development and commercial relationship with the Reggie (including Reggies ownership of Nissan), to the point of using their powertrains (or Dacia spec' in A class lower bhp if you wish), or selling warmed over Nissan pickups, maybe their quality will improve?

Being creatures of habit, up to 2008 we only mainly sold BWW, Daimler Benz, Jeep, Suzuki, Lexus and Ford and the odd french car.

Then the '02 onwards models of the German twins started getting too many wallet busting issues. So we made a business decision to drop the Germans, followed any diesel bar PSA 2.0 HDi shortly after.

We then got into more French stuff and prefer their 'lighter' easy fix issues...relatively speaking what with modern car build. 

I have to say, never looked back. Those 'head in hands' gearbox, engine head/block issues are rarer now.

Your mileage may differ.

PS. We used sell oodles of Jags...been so long since we retailed one I'd forgotten.

That’s interesting because just the other week our guys had to take some cheap  3 year old 150k  Clio’s from a regular supplier and they ran OK.The thing is we have been doing high mileage German stuff for years but retailing French stuff whatever the mileage,we consider to be a risk because of early Megane and Laguna workshop nightmares.

3 year old Clio’s 

I agree with the above, I do have a few VW mk6 golfs in at the moment as they have bigger margins then the french cars. Yes the German cars can be an arse especially the older ones (mk5 golf was dreadful) but its want people want to buy. The best german brand is Mercedes I've found. I find japanese cars hard work so it only leaves really the french and germans (and ford). No car out there is perfect. 

On 16/01/2018 at 1:24 PM, DHill said:

I may get shot for this but I prefer selling french stuff over german. Cheaper to buy, easy fixes and nicer customers I find. 

Too true, I’ve said this for years. Apart from the occasional Alhambra/Galaxy/Sharan I avoid most German cars as I find they are bloody hard work and the buyers of them are, often, absolute obnoxious bullshitters who’ve bought into the laughable “quality car” advertising, are as fussy as f***, have next to no money, expect a new car and think they’re going to lay down the law. 

Dealing with horrible greedy 1.9 diesel Passat men, Eastern Europeans on old Skodas or our own greedy big talking “I’m an Audi man” types isn’t for me. Send me a nice Honda or Volvo (70 & 90 ranges only) man any day of the week. Much to my shame I’ve had a few Pug 207s - flew away and all three buyers were nice people.

On 18/01/2018 at 8:52 AM, Tom said:

Yes 207's are quite popular at the moment! 

Certainly here in the 'big smoke' they are. And Astra 3dr.