Sign in to follow this  
D&M

When do you call it a day on a lot? // What's your longest?

1 hour ago, twerp said:

They seem to have a quite a following at the auctions for top money.

Hard to understand.

Agree

I had one last year 2011 auto only 25k 1 owner 1.6 diesel in stock for 6 months was the cheapest car 100 mile radius and nothing.... eventually sold it to a 25 year old on finance and took his 2003 bmw 330d msport in px :huh:

5 hours ago, Max Wheeler said:

We recently had An Auris in stock for 190 days 2008 1.4 petrol 5 door 70k in red only had 2 calls on it eventually sold it to a walk on with finance :lol:.

Hyundai i30 are the same only sell over the net if they dirt cheap... 

Yep, I’d rather have a shitty old Corolla p/x to sell than an Auris. Zero interest cars for some strange reason & both of mine were T-Spirit models so loaded with kit.

Bloody Hyundais - I’ve an 2011 i20 diesel that I’ve reduced to peanuts but I still can’t get any interest whatsoever. Not a single call or even a stupid email so that tells me even immigrants don’t want them! I used to make a nice reliable wage out of Tucson’s, Kia Sportages & Cee’ds but they seemed to die a death early last year. Once I’ve waved my i20 goodbye that’ll be me finished with them.

God, I hate small cars to sell & I slag-off French shite but at least dross like Pug 207s sell. If I had to rely on a wage from Korea’s finest I’d be starving to death.

7 hours ago, s and b said:

now let me think

oh yes making a profit is a good motivator for most :P

I'm not going to get into too much of a debate about it but it's easy for Elon to talk big when it's other peoples money funding his ego. Can't keep up to speed on Model 3 production and has to keep asking for handouts because there is no cash being generated. I'm sure they'll do very well but it does have the look of a bubble that's got to burst at some point.

Same re Auris

See them regularly trade at retail prices yet if we ever chance one gets zero interest whatever the spec. 

Weird

I don't mind an Auris but it can't be red or silver.

Also don't mind a Hyundai i10,i20 or i30 but again red and silver stick.

I think a lot of it comes down to having Toyota & Hyundai MD's 5 minutes away though. There's good brand awareness locally for both and if you have 5k not 15k we're you're guys!

Thank you again for all your insights. Much appreciated.

We've done our best with the Auris. For the first while, we had it advertised everywhere. Then took it off everywhere, and readvertised it with fresh pictures and a new price. Then another reduction.

Being so small - 5 or 6 cars it is a noticeable % of our stock volume sitting so I think we are going to dispose of it. Which is a shame, but it just isn't a car people look for online. We'll trade it out, and no doubt it'll sit on someones forecourt for a week or so before it's snapped up!

Fingers crossed we'll get back what we paid out!

I bought an Auris by mistake last year, thought I was bidding on a Jag..... anyway, I priced it cheap from the off to get rid and it still sat around for 6 months laughing at me reminding me what a twat I was for bidding outside the rostrum... Lesson learnt 

• Like 2

very interesting thread, longest current car is a 14 plate  A4 Avant diesel auto at 103 days, thought it would fly out. I'm very strict with my stock normally, trading out when they get to 90 days, cant sit on a car forever. my cost to stock is around £35 per wk per car so I cant afford to sit on a car thinking its still making a profit after 6 months. I'm tight for space and physically cant get more cars on the pitch so every car needs to sell as quickly as possible, get the money back in the business. I could have sold 2 cars in the space that Avant has taken up

1 hour ago, RH Trading said:

very interesting thread, longest current car is a 14 plate  A4 Avant diesel auto at 103 days, thought it would fly out. I'm very strict with my stock normally, trading out when they get to 90 days, cant sit on a car forever. my cost to stock is around £35 per wk per car so I cant afford to sit on a car thinking its still making a profit after 6 months. I'm tight for space and physically cant get more cars on the pitch so every car needs to sell as quickly as possible, get the money back in the business. I could have sold 2 cars in the space that Avant has taken up

Let me guess 75k + miles ?

Market is swamped with them, whatever the mileage. This stuff is very price sensitive. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, twerp said:

This stuff is very price sensitive. 

No matter what the price point or age, with VAG products you’re always going to be dealing with VAG men with one eye constantly on the bottom line. 

I think I’d rather gouge out one of my eyes with a spoon than constantly deal with them greedy/fussy/nitpicking/big-talking punters day after day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BHM said:

No matter what the price point or age, with VAG products you’re always going to be dealing with VAG men with one eye constantly on the bottom line. 

I think I’d rather gouge out one of my eyes with a spoon than constantly deal with them greedy/fussy/nitpicking/big-talking punters day after day. 

I used to follow Belgrave Motor Company in Sheffield.

A few years back they did a successful line base company car specials but with replica M Sport / RS / AMG wheels.

This would not only make the cars look better, but get the attention of less clued up buyers with catchy titles on AT / eBay ie

' 2012 BMW 320D Efficient Dynamics, blahblah, M SPORT ALLOY WHEELS! '

They turned them over week in, week out with shiny photos.

All of which has enabled them to move a level up with more lumpy stuff.

Clever