williamblackshaw

Whos made the swap from Autotrader to Motors then?

We did a survey last month

We had roughly 70 enquiries from Autotrader, around 60 from footfall/people passing, around 12 enquiries from ebay but only 2 from Motors, so quite disappointing all in all (Motors).

We were getting a few more from Motors over the summer months but it has definitely dropped off so we won't be continuing at the new higher rates.

Decided to give Motors ago. I hope the product is as good as they claim. Can't knock Dan the salesperson.....he put up with my mumblings before I signed up!!

• Like 1

We used to use Loot & also freeads! then guess what........it got bought out by autotrader and renamed Adtrader and they try to charge for most of it!

I've signed up and I'm afraid at present apart from the initial meeting it gone downhill from there. 

Firstly had customer services call me on Thursday, I told him I was busy and hadn't loaded anything online yet, he then proceeded to tell me if I don't load my adverts Motors won't work for me !!!! Wow....like it couldn't work trhat out myself!!

Sent a day loading onto the system. Checked on motors.co.uk and couldn't see my adverts, phoned up and was told the system hadn't been set up to receive my adverts but it had been sorted and the adverts would go live today (Saturday).

Checked and still no adverts, phoned up, not open Saturday's.

Now I understand thing like this happen BUT imagine how we would moan if Autotrader treated us like this. 

I find it frustrating to monitor where a sale has come from, I sold a Honda CRV yesterday and they said they had seen it on Autotrader but obviously I no longer advertise on there so they said they think maybe e bay, I asked them to check and they sent me a link to my advert and it was parkers.co.uk, I didnt even know I advertised there!!!! but on closer inspection it says powered by motors.co.uk, so I guess well done motors..... 

So on 12 November Autotrader re-do my packages (price increase as always) & at the end of that week send me this

Mrs Mini: Mon 10 Nov - Sun 16 Nov

Total Weekly Statistics 

Calls

From Mobile

Answered

Missed

Engaged

Average Time to Answer

Average Call Duration

0s

0s

Answered / Missed / Engaged 

All credit to them - you’ve got to have some b@lls to be that arrogant to actually put in writing - that you are charging more and delivering nothing, nada, rien, zip  -   yup diddly squat for my money!

Wonder if they think that I am blonde?  

I’ll be re-visiting my options when the uncapped stock offer ends thats for sure.    Motors Rep coming to see me Monday.  Motors didn’t do much for me first time around, but things change and they may have  stepped up a gear.  

Lets face it, it would be cheaper to pay Motors less to do nothing than Autotrader!!

The more people that drop autotrader the better...........lets turn the tables so they need us more than we need them! :D

• Like 1

Met Motors rep today

Very professional  

Never met a rep from Autotrader,despite having paid them over £26K since I started advertising with them.

Signed up to Motors - 3 months contract then rolling - not the snare that AT trap you with

Reasonable deal from Motors & few extra features included - with none of that extra cost lark from AT.

Notice served on Autotrader to reduce me back down to the minimum from 1st February

Wheelerdealer1 - do the maths - that will give you the answers

I’ve sold 1 car this month (so far) from AT, so that lead cost me approx £1,200.00  Didn’t make that on the car so will be out of pocket with them again this month !

I can’t possibly be any worse off kicking AT into touch......    

• Like 1

Mrs Mini you are probably lucky not to have met a rep from Autotrader or you would have spent more than £26k. All finance  warranty and advertising reps that we see are generally great people and always a great source of information except for AT ones who just have an arrogant attitude and are only nice if they are upselling you something, I thought it was just me being a little prejudiced when I told the last one to never darken my door again until I spoke to other dealers, two of the most laid back dealers I know both said they had physically ejected him from there pitches. Remember...... THEY NEED US MORE THAN WE NEED THEM !!!!!

I reduced my "package" with Autotrader and rotated the stock I've tried motors but it isnt in the same league, a few sales per month at best.hopefully it will improve if they maintain their advertising budget and improve the boring adverts for something exciting with greater impact, Ive also tried AA which for me and other dealers around me  has been a total waste of money and was tied in on a 12 month contract, Nothing from piston heads or Rac cars however I've had a fair response from the following, Ebay motors pro classifieds, Autotrader for non general cars, I will only advertise general cars if they either are the cheapest or lowest mileage as otherwise its wasting my capital, I changed my website from Autotrader which definatly made a difference for me as my website is well optimised and generates enquiries they also send my stock to platforms that I get sales from, spreading the net has definatley worked for me

I see Autotraders latest trick for this years new price increase is to include everything under the Autotrader banner which can't be split out if you dont need all of the facilities, they wanted to offer me their non optimised site which is worthless as they are not found on google because they only want you found on Autotrader , they packaged it up as a whole value so you cant take out a cost for any part that you dont need , its a package, thats the price , if you dont need it (as I didn't) ,it's just tough, Autotrader is up for sale because its at its maximum potential with little room for further growth at these prices , currently there are only 19000 private cars on there a drop of 10,000 in the past 8 months, the remaining 400000 vehicles are us the trade at an average £14- £15 per car per week when you include the "stealth package system"    the figure includes  the unlimited "free" stock which ends at the end of January or December for those who  "rolled over "

• Like 2

We worked out that the advertising on AT wasn't covering its cost.As everything we sell is very low miles, all we got from the AT reps was going on about how expensive WE were! Christ, rich coming from them!!! Just a ruthless organisation that is fuelled by greed! Since we have left, we are selling as many cars but without their big expense so are very happy with our position at this time. The more people I speak to, the more I realise how many have dropped them, far more than I had realised. If this continues then the dealers will be back in the driving seat! Not that it really matters to me as I really have had enough!

• Like 1

Well month 1 gone with Motors.co.uk and they've sadly provided me with the same amount of clean sheets the 3rd choice Newcastle goalkeeper has kept since the 1st choice and 2nd choice goalkeeper got injured, sorry i could have just said 0. Anyways we are also in a 3 month trial so will continue to see what happens, we' have had 2/3 Autotrader leads and we are seeing high web traffic from Autotrader still to our site and very little from Motors.co.uk. So at the moment Auotrader is the better option for leads, but value you for money is a different conversation, I will update end of January. Happy new year guys!!!

Well Motors have today delivered me their first lead after just 7 days live.  

Same volume as Autotrader, but cost per lead is a tad different!

Autotrader               Motors  

£1200                            Â£170           

• Like 1

Just picked up a nice Corsa SXI from your place William through Dealer-Auction, sorry to derail but Alastair is a nice guy!

Hey mrs mini I spoke to soon just got my first lead too. What's your company?

Just a wild guess but i think it's Mrs Mini  :P

Just a wild guess but i think it's Mrs Mini  :P

Yes nice website too.  B)

• Like 1

Mind one thing that bugs me with Motors.co.uk is the fact even when you drill right down into an individual car there is still a banner advertising a large dealer group in Scotland on my vehicle advert which I think is wrong, I understand a banner or home page take over at the initial search but it should stay there.

I stopped using autotrader about 18 months ago. We were paying for a package of X cars (too many for what i stock) website (we didnt want or use) clicks etc. I did what mrsmini did worked out the cost per sale

Last 12 months or so my sales have been good, if  not better using nothing but old fashioned local advertising and ebay motors

Just took the plunge to join Motors through my local paper rep.