James Baggott

Big tax changes nearly upon us - what have you done?

Well, the big day is nearly upon us: The Big Changes To The Tax System That Didn't Need Changing Day.

I'm prepared - I took the tax disc out of my car at the weekend and marvelled at how much prettier it looked without the overpriced, multi-coloured piece of perforated paper in the corner of the windscreen.

But I know I had it easy. You guys must really be struggling. What have you done in the end? Have you had tax refunded? Have you made a collage out of the old discs? Fed them to the office dog?

I'd love to hear how you're preparing for the big switch.

I'm being absolutely honest, been so busy I've done nothing, and to be honest don't know many who have, everyone I know in the trade is planning on going with the flow, take it as it comes

• Like 1

Same as Wheelerdealer here!

We've always taxed sold cars at the Post Office ready for customers to drive away and we're still going to be doing that. The only thing thats changed is that at the time of taxing we have to submit the V5 in the new keepers name.

My current user has got a disc until January which DVLA have told me that as long as the yellow slip has been submitted and its showing as in trade, the disc is valid for use by the trade. When I sell it, the new keeper will have to tax it. Simple!

• Like 1

There is very little we can do other then remove all the tax disc's off the screen, remember which one's have tax in case we need to jump in a taxed car sometime in the next few months. 

Next thing I will do is check the DVLA's website on Wednesday and see how we go around taxing cars online using the V5C/2 Green slip, which is one of the new facilities the DVLA have promised. 

• Like 1

Ive managed to speak to DVLA this morning and they've confirmed the following.

1) Any current tax discs with expiry after the 1st October will cease to be, even if the car has been yellow slipped. Any car that you wish to use will have to be taxed in your businesses name (or used on trade plates.. :rolleyes:  )

2) When taxing a car online the only thing that the DVLA checks for is MOT not insurance. Was worried about this one from the point of view of customers dragging their heels sorting insurance out and becoming a nightmare when we cant tax their car for them to drive away!

Top tip, if you want to speak to DVLA, call them first thing, got straight through at 8.30 B)

Ive managed to speak to DVLA this morning and they've confirmed the following.

1) Any current tax discs with expiry after the 1st October will cease to be, even if the car has been yellow slipped. Any car that you wish to use will have to be taxed in your businesses name (or used on trade plates.. :rolleyes:  )

More confusion then!!

If the car was put in trade before the 1st OCtober the tax is still valid, thats whats the DVLA have been saying for the last month and they confirm this in the PDF files Phillip posted on the other topic about this. 

Whilst the vehicle is shown as ‘in trade’ and there is still remaining tax left then this will continue until DVLA is notified of the new registered keeper. During this time the trader cannot use the vehicle on the road as there is no registered keeper on DVLA records. This has always been the case and is not changing as a result of abolition of the tax disc.

Copied and pasted from the other thread. So whats the point in the tax disc still being valid?

Have you ever know anyone get fined or prosecuted for driving a vehicle on the road with on registered keeper??? We in the trade must have done millions of miles between us in taxed 'in trade' cars, never heard of this rule being enforced. 

It one of these laws that is totally un-enforcable, like asking for trade plates to cover the number plates !!  

In my opinion its the DVLA's way of trying to tell the trade that we were never allowed to drive these cars in the first place so we haven't lost anything when the new tax laws come in. They maybe right but it just highlights the massive gap in communication and trust between the motor trade and DVLA. 

Have you ever know anyone get fined or prosecuted for driving a vehicle on the road with on registered keeper??? We in the trade must have done millions of miles between us in taxed 'in trade' cars, never heard of this rule being enforced. 

Again, a lot depends on where you live. A trade mate of mine has recently moved out of East London to the Essex countryside and never gets any issues. Wheres back in the smoke, with "Police all stops" seemingly around every corner its very different. The problem is that you will 'flag up' on police ANPR as "NO CURRENT KEEPER" which converts into police speak as drug dealer/car thief/undesirable and will warrant a stop. Obviously an explanation to the police usually does the trick but you'll be public enemy no1 for 2 mins. Police in my area are generally of the opinion that 'motor trade' are guys trying to dodge round the system so "they are all up in your grill" :D  

Also, I think that the recent changes to the VED system have more to do with preparing for 'road charging' rather than savings. Watch this space......  

There is still a lot of confusion.

Does anybody know what will happen if I tax online a car that I currently have 'In Trade' without submitting any new keeper details?

It looks like the new online tax website will allow me to do that and is not asking for any details of the new keeper. It simply checks that there is a current MOT.

That way I could still use one car for personal use (taking the kids to school etc) without adding my name as a keeper.

My trade plates are fine for company business and test drives but as we all know, are definately not fine for anything personal.

If I taxed the car as above, what will happen to the unexpired road tax when I register a new keeper once the car is sold?

Has anybody tried this yet?

Hello russp

I was thinking this myself as anyone can tax a car online and you dont have to be the registered keeper to do so and if the previous owner has declared the car sold to the DVLA and got thier refund then what happens to the tax you have applied to the car whilst in trade?

as yes you cant get the refund yourself as your not the registered keeper so i can only presume the remaining amount of the tax is left to the DVLA 

to which you as the seller can only put the cost of the tax you have previously paid for on the asking price im guessing to help refund your money that way

Hi Sensei.

If you only keep the car for a month after taxing it, I guess you lose 5 months as there is no keeper for the tax to be refunded to.

However, if you pay monthly by direct debit for the tax as this is now a new option, then as soon as you sell the car, a new owner is registered and you stop paying. Maybe this is the solution?

I will try it and report back :)

If anybody else has any information please feel free to chip in.

Many thanks.

Russp

I managed to get through to the wonderful DVLA today after the merri go round of options and phones queues.

To be honest some of the questions were answered as some i already knew anyway i jotted down her words and to this effect they were .. "If a car is declared in trade then normal proceedings apply via trade plates to get the car from point of purchase to point of sale, also for test drives so thier is no need to tax the car" .. ok i knew that.

the nice lady from the DVLA then explained .. "if the car is to be used on the public road for personal use or to be parked on in the road/pavement overnight while still in-trade the car has to be now registered to the traders business via the company name or the traders own private name and then the car must be taxed as well at the same time" .. She continued ..... 

"If a car in-trade is caught via an APNR camera or traffic/camera van .. driven or parked on the road/pavement as is not registered and not using trade plates then an offence is committed and a fine can be issued" .. she also said "trade plates cannot be used to park a car up overnight on the road pavement" .. which again i already knew.

on selling the car while registered she said ... "If the car is sold while the logbook is still at the DVLA then a V62 form is to be submitted for the new owner and as long as the corresponding dates from in-trade are previous to the V62 new logbook dates then a refund is automatically triggered to the registered name of the in-trade name of the company name or private name that as submitted it beforehand .. the refund is by cheque made out to the company name or private name on the logbook and yes another owner is added when returned"

The funny thing was i asked well if the tax is paid and no registered keeper is declared as the log book never sent in, then what happens to the money?

she replied "Sorry i havent got an answer to this its not on my list" ... :-0

So the basic thing is if you are wanting to use a car while in-trade for your personal use or to park on the highway road/pavement overnight .. you have to register it and tax it as well .. simple its more money to the DVLA  Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£Â£ 

Thanks Sensei.

I suppose most of that is as expected.

Its funny that if a question is not on her list there is simply not an answer for it!

Also, she said that if a car is showing as 'in trade' and is being driven without trade plates, but is showing as taxed, then a fine will be issued.

I cannot see how this will flag a fine or even how any law in being breached.

I have several cars that are 'in trade' and had tax prior to 1st October and are still showing as taxed on the Vehicle Check website.

I can't see what is wrong with driving these cars still for personal use until they are either sold or the tax expires.

I have not had a car registered in my name for years as I always simply use whatever cars I have available that are taxed for my own personal use.

Its a crazy crazy world.

I will update if I come across any more information and would like to know what other traders are doing and if anyone has taxed a car yet without registering it.

Many thanks.

Well I have had to bite the bullet and register our pool car, it still has tax though and that's even a week after I have registered it, on the up side I'm going to tax it for £12 per month until the guys kill it off! The engine management light is already on !

Hi, sorry to bring up this old post but after searching forum trying to get a definitive answer Im still not 100 percent sure 

Ive only got a 3 cars and Im using a little trade in as personal car until it sells .I'm covered through trade insurance, it's mot'd and taxed through direct debit with green slip . Details completed on yellow section and left with previous owner to send. Just wany to clarify i am completely legal to drive this car 

If you are covered by your trade insurance policy for personal use you should be fine. Would also get it added to the MID

yes I'm covered and on MID .thanks chaps